By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Kratos is such a lame character

Euphoria14 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Euphoria14 said:
So what would make people happy? If Kratos stopped every once in a while, sat down for a drink and cracked some jokes and had a laugh?

Maybe chit chat about his life before everything went wrong during the entire game?

The guy is brutal for a reason. He was a Spartan general and Spartans were already bad ass enough. The guy made a pact with Ares and it ended up costing him to murder his own wife and child.

The damn guy wears their ashes on his skin and a non stop reminder of what he did.

If that was you, would you be smiling every once in a while or cracking some jokes? Would you stop periodically to tell people stories of the better times? No, you would be a lunatic.

That is who Kratos is. He is a Spartan who's acts of brutality cost him in the most severe way and now he is just a man full of rage with nothing left to lose.

Or like many men/fathers that would break down and cry over the loss of their loved ones, just because it was Greek mythology doesn't mean they were void of love and emotion, even spartans.

Even though I know this is just a movie, I remember in 300 there was a point where the friend of Leonidus' son was killed right in front of him.

He was upset at first, just as Kratos was when he first realized what he had just done.

After that he went into a frenzy.

Did that make his character lame all of a sudden.

It just seems like everyone would be happy if Kratos stopped a view times a game and started crying.

Edit -

Just remembered that the character I just mentioned cried after his frenzy.

300 was a very lame movie as well.

Really though, the death of his family doesn't even really effect Kratos anymore.  He doesn't give a shit about them, all he cares about is that HE was wronged.

Dude is having sex minigames... and when he gets the power to go back in time he decides he'd rather kill the gods... rather then say... go back in time and save his families life.

You're actually selling short the one interesting point of Kratos character.  He doesn't really care about anyone but himself and still doesn't.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
jesus kung fu magic said:

Do you really believe that kratos cares about his family?......He had the means to bring them back with the threads of fate and yet he didnt....he had the means to correct his mistake and yet he  didnt.....that takes away any meaning to whatever he did in GOW2 and will do in GOW 3.

Eh, quite the contrary. Kratos already had to give up the opportunity to be with his daughter ever again in Chains of Olympus - he knows that his place is not with her. Calliope (his daughter) is in paradise, and he is too sullied to ever belong with her, even if she were alive.

Alternatively

The ending of God of War 2 just shows how far off the deep end Kratos has gone. We've seen him progress from trying to get his family back, to trying to rid himself of his past, to trying to get his family back again, to seeing that the whole universe is basically laser-targeting him for endless tragedy.

We've watched him shift from a sympathetic antihero to an apocalyptic supervillain. It's an interesting ride.

Thanks Khuutra.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Euphoria14 said:
So what would make people happy? If Kratos stopped every once in a while, sat down for a drink and cracked some jokes and had a laugh?

Maybe chit chat about his life before everything went wrong during the entire game?

The guy is brutal for a reason. He was a Spartan general and Spartans were already bad ass enough. The guy made a pact with Ares and it ended up costing him to murder his own wife and child.

The damn guy wears their ashes on his skin and a non stop reminder of what he did.

If that was you, would you be smiling every once in a while or cracking some jokes? Would you stop periodically to tell people stories of the better times? No, you would be a lunatic.

That is who Kratos is. He is a Spartan who's acts of brutality cost him in the most severe way and now he is just a man full of rage with nothing left to lose.

Or like many men/fathers that would break down and cry over the loss of their loved ones, just because it was Greek mythology doesn't mean they were void of love and emotion, even spartans.

Even though I know this is just a movie, I remember in 300 there was a point where the friend of Leonidus' son was killed right in front of him.

He was upset at first, just as Kratos was when he first realized what he had just done.

It just seems like everyone would be happy if Kratos stopped a view times a game and started crying.

Edit -

Really though, the death of his family doesn't even really effect Kratos anymore.  He doesn't give a shit about them, all he cares about is that HE was wronged.

Dude is having sex minigames... and when he gets the power to go back in time he decides he'd rather kill the gods... rather then say... go back in time and save his families life.

You're actually selling short the one interesting point of Kratos character.  He doesn't really care about anyone but himself and still doesn't.

I think the most interested point about Kratos is that he is awesome.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:

By the way, how many other characters do we have that are this brutal and have a story like Kratos' to go along with it? Do we have others who not only have their memories to haunt them but physical alterations from those brutal acts that they must carry for the rest of their life?

Unless we do I would say he is pretty unique to me. He is just brutal, but he has a very legitimate reason.

I really don't know what would make me happy.

Perhaps if they showed off more than just Kratos doing brutal things?

I don't have a problem with brutality in games but God of War just makes it seem to boring.

It's like if they showed Mario only jumping gaps, or Drake only platforming, or Master Chief only driving the warthog, or any other iconic character doing only one of their iconic things.

If I only see the same over and over and over and over again it just gets boring.  I don't know, does Kratos do anything else iconic?  Show me anything that makes me believe he's more than brutal and more brutal.

Like I've said, I don't really play God of War and these gifs, trailers, sigs, ect make me want to play it even less because I felt like I've already seen it all and I'm already bored of it.

Euphoria14 said:
Kasz216 said:
Euphoria14 said:
MaxwellGT2000 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Edit -

I think the most interested point about Kratos is that he is awesome.

That in no way makes sense.

Around the Network
twesterm said:

I don't have a problem with brutality in games but God of War just makes it seem to boring.

It's like if they showed Mario only jumping gaps, or Drake only platforming, or Master Chief only driving the warthog, or any other iconic character doing only one of their iconic things.

If I only see the same over and over and over and over again it just gets boring.  I don't know, does Kratos do anything else iconic?  Show me anything that makes me believe he's more than brutal and more brutal.

Like I've said, I don't really play God of War and these gifs, trailers, sigs, ect make me want to play it even less because I felt like I've already seen it all and I'm already bored of it.

Twesterm the more you talk about this the more it's clear that you're not familiar with the character and not really equipped to participate in the discussion you started

totally agree god of war is as lame to me as halo

i just dont get it guys

talk about generic teenage crap

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Khuutra said:

Do you really believe that kratos cares about his family?......He had the means to bring them back with the threads of fate and yet he didnt....he had the means to correct his mistake and yet he  didnt.....that takes away any meaning to whatever he did in GOW2 and will do in GOW 3.

Eh, quite the contrary. Kratos already had to give up the opportunity to be with his daughter ever again in Chains of Olympus - he knows that his place is not with her. Calliope (his daughter) is in paradise, and he is too sullied to ever belong with her, even if she were alive.

Alternatively

The ending of God of War 2 just shows how far off the deep end Kratos has gone. We've seen him progress from trying to get his family back, to trying to rid himself of his past, to trying to get his family back again, to seeing that the whole universe is basically laser-targeting him for endless tragedy.

We've watched him shift from a sympathetic antihero to an apocalyptic supervillain. It's an interesting ride.

You seem to forget why Kratos left his daughter....Persephone(the antagonist) was going to destroy the pillars of the world to free herself from her fate. Kratos had to choose between being with his daughter and saving the world and he choose the world...

Chains of olympus and GOW1 I liked kratos as I stated before......as the game actually had kratos have a purpose , now all kratos did in GOW 2 was just chop off heads with no purpose but his own self.....which in essence makes him lame(only in GOW 2)

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Khuutra said:
twesterm said:

Twesterm the more you talk about this the more it's clear that you're not familiar with the character and not really equipped to participate in the discussion you started

I've made it very clear I'm only going off of trailers, gifs, and random pics others have posted.  I know full and well actually I am completely ignorant on the game itself.

For every other iconic character they are more than just brutal, platformer, smooth talker, whatever in their trailers or advertisements.  Kratos is just brutal and the fact everyone shoves it in your face just makes him boring.

Khuutra said:

Alternatively

You seem to forget why Kratos left his daughter....Persephone(the antagonist) was going to destroy the pillars of the world to free herself from her fate. Kratos had to choose between being with his daughter and saving the world and he choose the world...

Chains of olympus and GOW1 I liked kratos as I stated before......as the game actually had kratos have a purpose , now all kratos did in GOW 2 was just chop off heads with no purpose but his own self.....which in essence makes him lame(only in GOW 2)

No I really didn't forget at all. I also remembered that in order to save the world he had to sully himself by slaughtering the spirits wandering the Elysian Fields.

Like I said: Kratos changed significantly. The apex of his character as a sympathetic antihero was when he tried to kill himself after killing Ares. The point here is that the gods have denied him even that, and it has made him ass-biting insane. He's a nihilist, but instead of holding that there are no intrinsic values he now behaves as if there are no values whatsoever! And now he's going to destroy the world.

That may not be particularly interesting to you but it's a logical growth for his character, and perfectly in keeping with what continues to happen to him. Yes, he's a monster now. You don't like mosnters. That's cool! But it doesn't make him inherently uninteresting.

I suppose I shouldn't call him a total monster - he wasn't a total monster in GoW2 until Athena died, telling him that all of Olympus would deny him. It wasn't until that moment that he decided to bring down the gods altogether, and it wasn't until that moment that he used the Threads of Fate for his giant doomsday plot.