By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How do you feel about the (radical) changes in Metroid:Other M?

@forest-spirit

i wouldnt mind mgs cutscenes, itd be a nice change of pace for the series

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Around the Network

I don't see much difference between having someone 'authorize' a weapon and finding it after a boss battle (plus, nothing so far indicates that some abilities won't be found in the traditional way). I am also particularly exited about the third person perspective-- I feel this change was necessary due to the 2D and first person perspectives have both been played out a lot in this franchise (5 2D games and 3 first person games).

The 2D and 3D seems interesting, but a didn't like Super Paper Mario and it had a 2D/3D mechanic as well (though, I did enjoy the perspective change to first person in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes). While this is its own game, reports already indicate potential problems about the fact that you can not move while in 3D (but again, I had no problems with this in MGS:TTS).

Other than that, I am not particularly liking all the talk about how 'cinematic' this game is. Hopefully, the majority of the cut scenes are at the beginning or the end (and I can skip them if I want to), because I feel that such things will kill the 'Metroid feel'.

I could be wrong, but unfortunately these previews aren't doing much to alleviate my concerns for this game.

Khuutra said:
Demotruk said:

I don't think Metroid Prime was a big change at all. It just transitioned the values of 2D Metroid into 3D. In that sense, it was an even smaller change than SMW -> Mario 64.

I consider this a bigger change because the values of a Metroid game are changing (though they were somewhat present in Fusion). Nobody played Metroid games for plot or to explore a character.

Exploration and big boss fights are still there in spades, and the atmosphere is apparently intact. That's not changing core Metroid values, it's just adding to them.

Values are almost always added at the expense of others. 3D for Mario meant the gameplay focus had to change towards things other than platforming, Ocarina style Zelda had added values but at the expense of the action of the 2D games. This will add cut scenes and character development for those who care, but for those who don't cut scenes are either grating, or skipping them ruins the flow of the game, and that's before you even take developer focus into it.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Pyramid Head said:
@forest-spirit

i wouldnt mind mgs cutscenes, itd be a nice change of pace for the series

No, get out, nobody who actually enjoys this series or to whom this series is being marketed wants that

Why would you want that Pyramid Head

Why

Demotruk said:
Khuutra said:

Exploration and big boss fights are still there in spades, and the atmosphere is apparently intact. That's not changing core Metroid values, it's just adding to them.

Values are almost always added at the expense of others. 3D for Mario meant the gameplay focus had to change towards things other than platforming, Ocarina style Zelda had added values but at the expense of the action of the 2D games. This will add cut scenes and character development for those who care, but for those who don't cut scenes are either grating, or skipping them ruins the flow of the game, and that's before you even take developer focus into it.

You're not actually pointing out any core Metroid values that are hurt by the inclusion of somewhat lengthy introductory cutscenes (of which Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion also had, for the time).

Around the Network
Innervate said:
It's best if you look at the game as a spin-off or side game.

After Fusion though, they're all spin offs so how do you decide what the 'main' Metroid will be? Personal choice?

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

@khuutra

why not you know?

basically the other games had minimal story, so itd be nice to learn more. team ninja usually is fun that way anyway

play to their strengths etc. you can always skip cutscenes anyway

Last year's game of the year turned out to be Silent Hill : Shattered Memories (online GOTY was COD 6).  This year's GOTY leader to me is Heavy Rain.

Wii Friend Code: 4094-4604-1880-6889

Pyramid Head said:
@khuutra

why not you know?

basically the other games had minimal story, so itd be nice to learn more. team ninja usually is fun that way anyway

play to their strengths etc. you can always skip cutscenes anyway

Team Ninja isn't great at MGS-style cutscenes, they're just great at short cutscenes that have a ton of explosions

There's a difference, and it's this: the former shouldn't come within a thousand yards of Metroid, and the latter is actually kind of par for the course for the series

The_vagabond7 said:
The article seems to make alot of assumptions and also contradicts alot of other reports, and on pretty key things.

The demo was like the first 30-45 minutes of the game. Adam tells you not to use some of your abilities. Conclusion: All abilites are unlocked only through Adam telling you that you can use them now. Quite a big jump.

IGN's story said that finding missile packs and upgrades by finding hidden vents or destructable terrain were still present, and he did so in the demo. The Nintendo Representatives said that there would be plenty of exploration, and the IGN preview said there was exploration. Conclusion: It's a straightforward game and all exploration has been removed!!!

And what's this about auto aim? Of course it's got auto aim it's a fucking 2-d game! But it's in a 3-d plane. You take super metroid and put it in a third person perspective, spread the enemies out a bit even though you still are operating on a 2-d plane and it's called auto-aim because she shoots what's in front of her on the 2-d plane, even if it's a 3d perspective.

I love the staff here, but that article is just sensationalistic and not actually based on first hand experience, so much as re-interpreting somebody else's article. All the things in that piece that have people here upset are blatantly contradictory to IGN's far more in depth pre-view. If anybody is feeling dissapointed in the game after reading the "preview" on this site, go read IGNs actual hands on with the game first.

I agree with this. After reading what some people here talking about in this thread it made me go reread Igns thinking I was just tired when I read it. It is going to be a different game than we have seen, but all the elements of Metroid are suppose be there  just a bit different and a lot of story.  I am not into the Huge story scenes but w/e I can live with that its still Metriod. Day 1 buy here. Plan on preordering when I pick up Fragile Dreams.

Maybe its easy mode

We'll see in the next month. You know what, its sounding much more like Disaster DOC, where intense shooting scenes are juxtaposed with slower plot and exploration. I guess we should assume Nintendo authorized these changes, maybe due to the tedious nature of predicatable weapon/health hunting.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.