By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA's Strategy to Counter Used Games Sales

Akvod said:
c0rd said:
nightsurge said:
Exactly. I mean used games are only ever like $5 cheaper than the new price until they are 2 years old or so, so why not just buy new?

Uh, where are we buying our used games? I occasionally buy used, and it sure as hell isn't only $5 cheaper than new.

I'm not really a fan of this strategy, as it makes the original copy worth less. When the used games are worth less, the copy you potentially want to sell is worth less (you'd get less money from reselling if you were dissatisfied with the copy if you used your code). More of the original game's value moves to "unsellable," whether it's due to additional content or not.

I was hoping their strategy to counter used game sales were something more along the lines of... oh, something like making the game worth keeping! That's how it always used to be, the only difference today is the companies can't seem to support themselves with current costs. I don't see why that should be affecting used games, of all things...

Original copy=New Copy. You can scan the disc of a used and new disc, and they will have the same exact content and data in it.

Yes, for the disc, but not for the full package.

Around the Network

When you buy used games, they are being sold AS-IS. Which means, you only get what is in the box and nothing else.
This is not screwing the used buyer, everything used is buyer beware.
So the argument that you are not getting the full package may be true. But like I said, it is sold AS-IS. You cannot go and buy a house or a car AS-IS then complain to the seller that a hinge on a door is squeaky or that your car radio does not get as loud as you would like.

Hell, EA is offering DLC to you even though you did not buy the game at a source to which they make money off their product.

The only way to stop this is to vote with your wallet and don't buy the game, which is what I will do.

whatever said:
The only way to stop this is to vote with your wallet and don't buy the game, which is what I will do.

Which would be as unnoticeable to EA as if you buying a used copy.

JaggedSac said:
whatever said:

In order for their to be used copies, there have to be new copies sold first.  I buy some games new and some games used.  But for games that are going to do this, I won't buy them at all.

Around the Network
whatever said:
JaggedSac said:
whatever said:

In order for their to be used copies, there have to be new copies sold first.  I buy some games new and some games used.  But for games that are going to do this, I won't buy them at all.

I see, so for someone who was going to buy this new, the idea of getting some extra stuff for free has put you off because you don't want other companies to do this to the games that you would buy used?  Am I correct?

Then it makes a teeny bit of sense.

Akvod said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:
Akvod said:
Davey1983 said:
Sorry, but this is a jerk thing to do. This is not a reward for dedicated fans-- this is an attempt to screw over a portion of the fan base. $15 for two maps if I buy used? Ridiculous.

How many people who buy used are going to actually know about this-- I'd bet not many. Most people will probably buy the game and later realize that EA has held back content. This will only upset customers.

The dedicated fans already pre-ordered the Limited Edition.

$70 used ($15 DLC-5 discount) vs $60 new.

And it's not held back content, as it was never on the disc. It's DLC, it's something completely extra.

Would you simply be happy if EA made it so that everyone had to pay $15 for the DLC? Way to try to drag everyone down with you, since you're too cheap to buy a game new and support DICE.

It's a GIFT, that they're giving to those who aren't willing to stuff Gamestop's coffers so that they can give "Power to the player".

That's a completely meaningless distinction.

For all you know it could of been held off the disc to be DLC.

Exactly.

If you ask for a chicken sandwich I give you a chicken sandwich without the chicken and then turn around to give you the chicken fillet on the side then am I giving you a gift or what you should have gotten in the first place?

Yes, but that argument only holds if the assumption that EA deliberately held off stuff as DLC is true. And that assumption is based off of no evidence whatsoever, but simply mistrust and cynicism.

And WoW, your analogy is bad because you're arguing that EA isn't giving the whole package (the chicken). My point is that EA has already given you the entire chicken sandwich. A used and newly bought disc have the same exact content on it. It is only that EA is making the price of the extra DLC $0 for those who bought the game new, and $15 for those who bought it used.

So let me ask what I asked before. Would you simply be happy if EA made it so that everyone had to pay $15? I'm sure you guys would have all changed your tune, drop the assumption that it was witheld content, and see it as something extra.

All you guys are asking for is entitlement to get what others got for their loyalty and dedication.

When dealing with companies, an assumption based on mistrust and cynasicm is FAR more reliable then an assumption based on optimism and well... blindness to how companies work. Your making the same assumption we are. The difference is, we're basing it off how companies operate, and your basing it off.... I don't even know what. I guess how we WISH companies operated. There is NO difference between DLC and DLC on a disc... none at all.

Akvod said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Kasz216 said:
Akvod said:
Davey1983 said:
Sorry, but this is a jerk thing to do. This is not a reward for dedicated fans-- this is an attempt to screw over a portion of the fan base. $15 for two maps if I buy used? Ridiculous.

How many people who buy used are going to actually know about this-- I'd bet not many. Most people will probably buy the game and later realize that EA has held back content. This will only upset customers.

The dedicated fans already pre-ordered the Limited Edition.

$70 used ($15 DLC-5 discount) vs $60 new.

And it's not held back content, as it was never on the disc. It's DLC, it's something completely extra.

Would you simply be happy if EA made it so that everyone had to pay $15 for the DLC? Way to try to drag everyone down with you, since you're too cheap to buy a game new and support DICE.

It's a GIFT, that they're giving to those who aren't willing to stuff Gamestop's coffers so that they can give "Power to the player".

That's a completely meaningless distinction.

For all you know it could of been held off the disc to be DLC.

Exactly.

If you ask for a chicken sandwich I give you a chicken sandwich without the chicken and then turn around to give you the chicken fillet on the side then am I giving you a gift or what you should have gotten in the first place?

Yes, but that argument only holds if the assumption that EA deliberately held off stuff as DLC is true. And that assumption is based off of no evidence whatsoever, but simply mistrust and cynicism.

And WoW, your analogy is bad because you're arguing that EA isn't giving the whole package (the chicken). My point is that EA has already given you the entire chicken sandwich. A used and newly bought disc have the same exact content on it. It is only that EA is making the price of the extra DLC $0 for those who bought the game new, and $15 for those who bought it used.

So let me ask what I asked before. Would you simply be happy if EA made it so that everyone had to pay $15? I'm sure you guys would have all changed your tune, drop the assumption that it was witheld content, and see it as something extra.

All you guys are asking for is entitlement to get what others got for their loyalty and dedication.

The DLC comes out on the same day as the game itself.  They purposely held this back, there is no other explanation that makes sense.  Also, for the record, I would be claiming that EA was being a jerk if they made everyone pay $15 for this because it is DAY 1 DLC (in other words-- it is content that should have been on the disk anyway but they didn't because they wanted to fleece the customers and get a few extra bucks).  

I would change my tune if this DLC was released, say, a month or whatever after the original game shipped and they charged the same amount for everybody.  While I don't personally like DLC, I don't see a major problem with it if it is not held back content. 

As for the chicken sandwich example, I believe it would be more akin to buying the sandwich but they didn't give me the bottom bun.  Sure, I still have a chicken sandwich and most of the 'features' (such as pickles or a top bun) but the sandwich is gimped.  Customers are going to buy the game used, not realize that it doesn't come with these maps and get mad.  Even though we can claim that the buyer should have done their research (which I would agree with-- customers should do their research before buying a product), the customer is still going to get mad at EA.  This move will cost EA some customers.  While they might buy this game used, they might also buy some other EA games new (such as Madden).  However, customers would be mad that EA screwed them over and then refuse to buy there products all together.

Another analogy:  what EA is doing is a like book publisher putting out a book without the epilogue.  The publisher then will only give this missing chapter to those that buy the book new, but making people who buy the book used pay for it when it should have been included in the book in the first place.  While this might increase profits in the short run, in the long run it will cause customers to stop buying your products and profits will diminsh in the future (which is bad business). 

i mean, think about it. According to you, if EA games in that in the past had DLC on the disc moved that content to an online server to download... that suddeny makes it better?

How?

I never bought used games but companies doing this only devalue their games and in a way giving customers the middle finger.

This is not bonus. It's just existing content that's locked up when it should be available in the first place. That's devaluing to me.

I guess I won't be buying Ubisoft and EA games altogether...