By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA's Strategy to Counter Used Games Sales

Battlefield Bad Company 2 Day 1 Map Pack

As Battlefield Bad Company 2 comes out next week, I'll tell you about the Day 1 map pack that is available to all players who purchase the game and apply their VIP code which comes with the game at no extra charge. The map pack contains two new maps which are the Rush map, Nelson Bay and the Conquest map, Laguna Alta which you can check out in the video now. The maps will be available from March 2nd which will allow the lucky North America players to get access and practice while us Europeans wait a few days more.

Later in March another map pack will be released containing Arica Harbor for Conquest and Laguna Presa for Rush

VIP codes are included in the box for all new purchases. Players that buy used versions and don't have a code can purchase one via the in-game store for $15. PC players will get the content as a game update.

What do people think about CD keys being used in games such as Bad Company 2 or the latest Socom game on the PSP? I think it's fine, since it has been used in PC games (Rome: Total War for example, required a CD key for online), why not for consoles.

Edit:

Fuck I gotta research a bit more.

Around the Network

I don't mind these buy new copy incentives. I buy new anyway :)

"Players that buy used versions and don't have a code can purchase one via the in-game store for $15. recieve a kick to the balls"

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

Severance said:

"Players that buy used versions and don't have a code can purchase one via the in-game store for $15. recieve a kick to the balls"

How? It's not as if you're being deprived of content that was already there (although doing so is NOT a new thing. Depriving Online for non-CD key owners has been used in PC games). You're upset about the fact that you're not getting a GIFT, for free. Something completely extra.

Like I said in the "Should Used Owners Be Punished Thread", this is a prime example of used owners, not being PUNISHED, but loyal and dedicated fans being REWARDED.

Quit whining about non-existent entitlements.

Also helps against piracy because then pirated copies still have to buy this voucher thing if they want any DLC on 360.

Around the Network

i never buy used anyways
but seems like an ok idea and i hope it works for them

Official Member of the Xbox 360 Squad 

nightsurge said:

Also helps against piracy because then pirated copies still have to buy this voucher thing if they want any DLC on 360.

Didn't consider piracy. That's a great perspective!

Exactly. I mean used games are only ever like $5 cheaper than the new price until they are 2 years old or so, so why not just buy new?

nightsurge said:

i have seen cracked xbox360 DLC on the net just few days ago, i doubt it will help against piracy.

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434

Sorry, but this is a jerk thing to do. This is not a reward for dedicated fans-- this is an attempt to screw over a portion of the fan base. $15 for two maps if I buy used? Ridiculous.

How many people who buy used are going to actually know about this-- I'd bet not many. Most people will probably buy the game and later realize that EA has held back content. This will only upset customers.