By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Atlus announces upcoming 360 games.

ClaudeLv250 said:
Lost tears of Kain said:
ClaudeLv250 said:

mrstickball said:
Carlos -

The reason I said that is for every single RPG you've mentioned coming out for the Wii, I don't see one that'll sell over 1 million units.

The Wii RPGs, thus far, lack any sort of quality. Exactly what one is going to be huge? Pokemon is first party, and hasn't sold well on consoles since day one. Final Fantasty Spinoffs never do awesome, and the rest might end up like Dragon Fable or Zack & Wiki.

Half of the X360 RPGs are mediocre like the Wii titles, but then you have Fable, Fallout, Lost Odyssey, Mass Effect, and Last Remnant that will most likely do well.

And yet again: whats the Wii's biggest RPG that it's snagged so far? I can't name one. The DS certainly has had alot of succuess, but that's not the Wii.

Roffle. And this is supposed to be sales site.

Firstly, I don't really know how the Wii RPGs lack quality when none of them have been released. Quite the fanboyish statement.  Only 2 have come out, one which got overlooked and the other, Dragon Quest Swords, which Japan ate up anyway. It's nice to see the blatant double standards though, for DQS to get slapped around as "not quality" but to see another SE game, an unproven IP like The Last Remnant, held on a pedestal of quality when no one has played it.

Second, half of the games carlos mentioned have done over a million in previous iterations. Tales has done it, Chocobo's Dungeon did it in Japan alone, Monster Hunter did it, FFCC did it whether you want to admit it or not.

Thirdly, biggest RPG Wii snagged? Um, hello? TALES? MONSTER HUNTER? Do you people even PLAY RPGs? These are bigger than ANY of the JRPGs 360 has so far.

wow who pissed you off so bad.

Alrigh first, you even admited that wii has no quality titles out, RIGHT NOW, unreleased we cant say, and he meant right now. DQS is most likely not seen as a huge project for SE, Last remnant yes.

Those will have a good chance of hitting 1 million, just hope that huge wide demography or lack of sales for core games doesnt hurt it.

And those games are hyped like Lost odyssey, Last remnant and Infinite?

I didn't say "Wii has no quality titles out," I said those games aren't out so no one can claim that they aren't "quality." It's one of the dumbest arguments I've ever seen on this forum because there's no thought or substantial grounds for a debate. No ones played half of these games therefore no one can go strutting around on their little high-horse deeming which games are and aren't "qaulity." The same goes for the 360 RPGs, if anything all the new unproven IPs are something to be cautious about, they shouldn't be hailed as the second coming already. You'd think Lair would have taught people something by now.

And Last Remnant certainly isn't a "huge" project. DQS may have been a side game but Dragon Quest is still one of SE's pillars, The Last Remnant is a new IP testing the waters. It's not going to turn the industry upside down and I'll be surprised if it breaks 700k. SE's new IPs haven't been doing that well recently.

Youve got to be joking, Last remnant is multi on 360 and ps3. Its been in Famatsu top games since forever, ranked quite high to for such a long release away and we know nothing about the game. Gametrailers and other people put it in their top games they want to see. Seriously.......how can you say this.

Its a side game alright, take a look at it, i mean take a good look at Dragon quest swords.

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
Around the Network

You can try to hype it all you want but it simply isn't that big.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Last Remnant will be huge, and I mean in the west and in Japan, both.

Also lumping western RPGs and JRPGS into one category is insane. 360 has the Western RPG lineup period. Bringing in Mass Effect and Fallout into a JRPG debate is pointless.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

@Kasz: the question of whether FF or SMT games are better is a question of taste, but did you actually just say Atlus games will outsell FF XIII and Versus? That's never gonna happen. Just cause you don't like FF games, doesn't mean they're not the best selling JRPGs out there.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

ckmlb said:
@Kasz: the question of whether FF or SMT games are better is a question of taste, but did you actually just say Atlus games will outsell FF XIII and Versus? That's never gonna happen. Just cause you don't like FF games, doesn't mean they're not the best selling JRPGs out there.

What if some company works with Atlus to fund a massive marketing blitz? That is how FF broke through in the west, and became the bestselling JRPG series.

Frankly, I would not put it past Microsoft to do such. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
LordTheNightKnight said:
ckmlb said:

What if some company works with Atlus to fund a massive marketing blitz? That is how FF broke through in the west, and became the bestselling JRPG series.

Frankly, I would not put it past Microsoft to do such.

Hopefully they start marketing jRPGs in America with Lost Odyssey.  I have not met one person IRL that knows about this game.  If they don't advertise it, then their marketing team needs to be fired, and it will be clear that they want the 360 as a console with a first person shooter image.  

I know this discussion is about Atlus, but MS could seriously make some ground with LO, because it has very realistic characters (not cartoony) and is very FF-like.  The only bad selling point in America, is how effeminate the main character is.  Although I could care less, it matters alot in this society.  With the 360 crowd being guys that like "Big Men with Big Guns," it will be a challenge.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Final Fantasy already had a fanbase and several games in the US before the FF7 explosion. Mistwalker and Lost Odyssey, not so much. It's going to take more than just "lol marketing" to make the splash people want this game to make.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

In my honest oppinion, i prefer the feel to Atlus rpg's than squares, i loved the old Final Fantasy's but when the ps2 came out i felt that they went downhill, and Atlus patched that up for me.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

The 360 is the best WRPG console, and it will probably stay that way, but...
The 360 is the worst JRPG console. I understand why XB360 owners are delusional about it, as they tend to overhype every JRPG on it everywhere on the Internet.
But only people that don't usely play or even like JRPG can believe that the XB360 will have the most of them or is the console of choice for them. This can be seen in facts that I suspected long ago, but waited to see them realized, as every single XB360 owners was saying the contrary to what I was suspecting. So now, regarding RPG, I see every XBox 360 owner opinion as completely delusional and wrong. The facts are mostly sales, reviews and the XB360 owners' own behaviour.

Like most RPG lovers, I just can't put what they call ARPG in the RPG genre. ARPG just aren't RPG at all. It's delusional to think otherwise, but I see clearly why they choose to call these games RPG instead of Adventure, as adventure games is pejorative nowadays: they don't sell. They prefer calling a game "sandbox" than adventure. Well...

I just tried to play FFCC (the Gamecube title) and left it alone fast: this is no RPG at all.
But for JRPG at least, putting SRPG and RPG together is no problem, as they're very similar to tabletop in both cases, just with emphasis on different aspects of tabletop RPG. BTW, White Knight Story is not a ARPG, it's a RPG similar to FFXII. Mass Effect is an ARPG, as it's just impossible to reproduce it in tabletop (it requires FPS skills), but it's not relevant, as it's a WRPG. It actually removes lots of so-called RPG from the Wii, as that means I don't count Super Paper Mario or Zelda as RPG either (despite what Miyamoto may say to sell it).

I don't understand why people are suddenly adding these games Atlus will publish just because they're released in the USA. That's just stupid: we don't add each release in another territory than Japan as another game!
It seems like the XB360 owners do everything they can to try to skew reality and say that XB360 is JRPG king. It's clearly not the case. When they can't defend on numbers of JRPG, they switch to sales (where they have NO data), and when they're shamed on sales, they go to the very subjective "quality" (review scores or their perceived quality, which changes with time as we'll see).

But for a JRPG fan (or me at least), the XB360 loses just on every single one of these criteria (even number of RPG, as it was released 1 year earlier than the 2 other consoles). Granted, XB360 got several japanese SRPG, but they are mostly from Idea Factory (IF), which destroys instantly any talk about "quality". IIRC, Agarest Senki on PS3 is from Idea Factory (IF) too, and it's no better (after playing the demo, I'll pass on it). Let's start with Spectral Force 3. It was released in Japan in June 2006. From the Famitsu half year games list, it sold 2532 pieces through July 2006, and it ended there. Yes, that's a bomb. Operation Darkness is from Success, and sold 2818 pieces in october (it was released this October). Yes, it's a bomb too.
According to the same Famitsu, the best selling JRPG on XB360 are Blue Dragon, that sold 202k+ units, and Trusty Bell, that sold 68k- units (yes, a WRPG, Oblivion, outsold it, which tells alot about the XB360 demographic in Japan).
Here are all the XB360 JRPG released in Japan with numbers according to Famitsu:
202,294 Blue Dragon (Mistwalker)
67,671 Trusty Bell: Chopin no Yume (Eternal Sonata) (Namco)
27,494 Culdcept Saga (Bandai)
2,818 Operation Darkness (Success)
2,532 Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage (Idea Factory)
2,064 Absolute: Blazing Infinity (Idea Factory)

I don't count Diario which is a port from PS2, or other ports from Gamecube or PS2. So that's what we get. 6 games... in 2 years... with 4 of them being poor in every way. And I hear nonsense here, like "The XB360 is the console to get for JRPG, I would never have thought that". Do people believe their own BS?

I also read that "sales of XB360 are poor in Japan, so of course sales are poor, but NA and Europe will make up for it". But the fact is that the 2 big JRPG for XB360 just bombed hard in NA and Europe, and didn't make up for anything, just like I expected. It was delusional to think it would be otherwise, but I saw unreal expectations even here. And now, I hear that in NA, they don't like "cartoon RPG". Just say outright that they don't like JRPG then, or admit that the XB360 demographic doesn't like JRPG.
Anyway, judging by the poor sales of the 2 biggest XB360 JRPG, how can someone hope for the poor ones Atlus will publish to sell? These are SRPG to boot, the niche genre of RPG (they sell less in comparison than regular RPG), so I don't have any hope in them selling.

Veteran JRPG lovers just warned people that Blue Dragon was a barely average old school RPG (with big flaws), but they wouldn't listen. I can understand how it can be entertaining for those discovering JRPG though. But then, people were warned about Trusty Bell being poor (story wise mostly, gameplay wise), but as usual on XB360, people get hyped up about screenshots, which is the worst way to review a RPG: they are not FPS, graphics are one of the less important feature (hence IF SRPG results graphics wise).

I even saw people complain about the camera in Trusty Bell (Eternal Sonata) : poor souls!
The XB360 owners that want to believe it is the console for JRPG, denied that Trusty Bell was poor (except for some JRPG fans that know pretty well what they will get) until it was announced for PS3. Then, the feelings about the games changed right away, more in line with what most JRPG veterans were saying. They even go as far as saying the improvements in the PS3 version won't fix the flaws. Well...

For reference, the released JRPG in Japan for home consoles, with Famitsu numbers when I have them:
470,698 Dragon Quest Sword: Kamen no Joou to Kagami no Tou (Square Enix)
153,397 Fire Emblem: Akatsuki no Megami (Nintendo/Intelligent Systems)
Opoona (no numbers, but it's a bomb)

And for the PS3:
9,024 Agarest Senki (Idea Factory)
7,000 Mist of Chaos (Idea Factory)

There's no doubt the DS is king for JRPG for the time to come. And for home consoles, it's true that the XB360 has the most JRPG for now, which is to be expected with one year headstart. But it's also true that the XB360 is not getting any new game, that's not what Atlus announced. And no, they're not getting an Atlus game at all. It's also true that Wii will soon leave the XB360 in the dust for JRPG numbers wise. Quality wise, it's already equal, with FE and DQSwords. Sales wise, it's already better, despite one of the Wii games being a SRPG (which sell less than regular RPG). The PS3 isn't doing too well for now.

As for the games to be released, most people are still delusional and banking on Mistwalker.
Well, why not? But the Wii line up JRPG wise, just destroys any other consoles, even with their download titles (if their FFCC is not a ARPG, but it doesn't seems like one).
And the PS3 games to come, no decent JRPG lovers could deny they have potential, like I see here. Man, some people even downplay JRPG from Level 5 (Shirokishi Monogatari), for Mistwalker one (Lost Odyssey). Talk about delusional.

For a JRPG lover, it's pretty clear at this very moment which consoles to get : the Wii and the PS3. The first or the only one should be the Wii, by the number of titles and their timeline. But some could take the PS3 only, or in first. But given the games released, that's not likely.

For a JRPG lover, buying a XB360 just for Blue Dragon, which is the sole "worthy" exclusive, is pure nonsense, and doesn't make the XB360 THE JRPG console. Must explain why most japanese owners sold it back with the console after finishing it (or not).

BTW, I still think Mistwalker destroyed their "name" from the start with their "strategy".
I don't care for Sakaguchi, which was retired and has nothing to lose (moneyhats), but Uematsu still has a reputation to maintain.

ckmlb said:

I never said it'd sell more.  Just that it'd be the quality of RPGS on PS3. 

Final Fantasy will sell the best because it's the only classic RPG that anyone outside of someone who goes on gaming sites know.  The people who are only going to play 2 or 3 RPGs a system are going to pick it up so it'll get the pure volume of sales.

Most people who are going to play a large number of RPGs are going to know otherwise however.  I thought this was about which consoles will get "The best" RPGs and not the best selling RPGs.