By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How Capcom decided to Wii-make Okami

Interesting blog article from Capcom's svensson (I give him massive props for his interactions on capcom's forum).

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/565#more-565

Its an interesting look behind the scenes in how they decided to remake Okami for the wii.

Some excerpts:

One of the major ones (and certainly not the only one), as we saw it, was where Okami arrived in the PS2 lifecycle. Having done the analysis in the past of in which years new IP performs best (and worst), it’s not surprising that it’s not later in the hardware lifecycle, where the active consumers tend to be more price and brand sensitive.

Wii had shipped about six weeks earlier and I think it’s fair to say, it was exceeding our expectations at the time (though that really wasn’t a major factor in the decision).

Note that this gives an interesting look into the product life cycle.  They were already considering this in Dec of 07 and it'll be released Q1 '08 so this indicates even for a port (good port), it can take a year already from concept to release.

Our green light process is a bit lengthy. We have multiple levels of approvals internally, numbers have to be generated, project specifications created and in this case, we wanted to have the RAD guys come up and have a look at the assets to see if it was even technically possible. That happened a few weeks later, in April 07.

So a lot of the actual proof of concept work only got started in April 07, indicating technical work and progress for a port is slightly less than a year in this case.

I think it was somewhere in May when we received permission to move forward with the full project by our board of directors. Some weeks after that, the team had established technical feasibility and both RAD and Capcom were up for moving to the next level. 

As we’ve stated before, Okami is such a huge game (40+ hours to complete isn’t at all uncommon), we aren’t currently planning any additional content but we’re exploring a few possible things on the technical side of things that might make for an improved Wii experience (no promises yet though). Obviously, the biggest change to the game will be the introduction of the Wii motion controls, the details of which we’ll also share at a later date.

In the mean time, the game is on schedule for release in Spring of 2008 and I’m sure you’ll be hearing more from Capcom and Ready at Dawn as we bring new updates closer to release.

Around the Network

You all better buy it.

That being said, remember this?

Clover: "We can't port it to the Wii, there's not enough buttons!"

I love how open capcom has been. Giving internal estimates for RE and now this!

This is my signature.

Im glad they are adding things to the port instead of straight porting it. I never got the PS2 version so this works for me.

Getting an XBOX One for me is like being in a bad relationship but staying together because we have kids. XBone we have 20000+ achievement points, 2+ years of XBL Gold and 20000+ MS points. I think its best we stay together if only for the MS points.

Nintendo Treehouse is what happens when a publisher is confident and proud of its games and doesn't need to show CGI lies for five minutes.

-Jim Sterling

CDiablo said:
Im glad they are adding things to the port instead of straight porting it. I never got the PS2 version so this works for me.

So long they don't make it worse it is okay.

Around the Network
MontanaHatchet said:
You all better buy it.

I'm looking at the instructions right now (which means I already have a copy, so it's not my fault the game didn't sell so well).

There does seem to be a lot. Some may need some imaginative mapping, but some could be mapped to movement on the controllers.

For example, R2+analog stick is sidestepping, but flicking the nunchuck to either side could do that (I mean a flick, not an unconscious tilt or lilt).

Camera controls can be mapped to tilting the Wiimote, as it's main use otherwise is for drawing, which wouldn't need camera control.

Those are just examples of what could be done. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

MontanaHatchet said:
You all better buy it.

But how am I supposed to *looks up sophisticated word* micturate on my enemies without a P button!?!

Kimi wa ne tashika ni ano toki watashi no soba ni ita

Itsudatte itsudatte itsudatte

Sugu yoko de waratteita

Nakushitemo torimodosu kimi wo

I will never leave you

CDiablo said:

I'd be willing to make a bet that this game will get no new content (basically getting the same treatment as RE4).

So much for "Sony's answer to Zelda." The franchise is coming to Nintendo!

a.l.e.x59 said:
So much for "Sony's answer to Zelda." The franchise is coming to Nintendo!

Sony's answer to Zelda?

Lol!

It's almost too bad it wasn't developed or published by Sony, or else you might've had a point.