By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales (2/15 ~ 2/21)

Nintendogamer said:
jarrod said:
Nintendogamer said:
Nothing after xenoblade, what about DQX?

Not this year, that's for sure.  I think we could get a DQVII remake this year though.

Oh I thought you meant this whole gen, a DQVII remake for wii would be great since now I'm looking forward to DQ IX

Naw, that was just this year.  For specific announced stuff expected later or without any announced release period...

Wii

• Cosmic Walker (Nintendo)
  • Dragon Quest X (Square Enix)
  • Sword of Legendia (Namco)

PlayStation 3

• Final Fantasy Versus XIII (Square Enix)
  • Metal Gear Solid: Rising (Konami)
  • Ni-Oh (KOEI)
  • Ponkotsu Roman Daikatsugeki Bumpy Trot 2 (IREM Software Engineering)
  • Troy Musou (KOEI)

Around the Network
jarrod said:
Hero_time88 said:
You don't think FFXIV can't sell above 200k for a console with a more online centric audience than the PS2 which also includes a harddrive?

Why is Kirby always there? To fill something?

Nope, I think it'll do about the same as FFXI absolute best case scenario.  When FFXI launched it was PS2 only (with a bundled HDD), the PC port came six months later.   FFXIV is PS3/PC day-and-date, and most MMORPG players in Japan still game on PCs.  That's where the MoHun Frontier and FFXI crowds are, and that's who FFXIV is targeting.

Not so sure about that. The harddrive wasn't a standard with the PS2 back then (The PStwo that did came two years later didn't even have the option), and appearently they are aiming at a more mainstream audience with FFXIV, or atleast that's what they say in interviews.

I won't sell great by any means, but I think part of that PC audience that you are referring to could actually move to the PS3 just like the shooter fanbase has moved from the PC to the HD consoles in the west, and perhaps the more mainstream FF fan if it's end up being a more accesible game.

Hero_time88 said:
jarrod said:
Hero_time88 said:
You don't think FFXIV can't sell above 200k for a console with a more online centric audience than the PS2 which also includes a harddrive?

Why is Kirby always there? To fill something?

Nope, I think it'll do about the same as FFXI absolute best case scenario.  When FFXI launched it was PS2 only (with a bundled HDD), the PC port came six months later.   FFXIV is PS3/PC day-and-date, and most MMORPG players in Japan still game on PCs.  That's where the MoHun Frontier and FFXI crowds are, and that's who FFXIV is targeting.

Not so sure about that. The harddrive wasn't a standard with the PS2 back then (The PStwo that did came two years later didn't even have the option), and appearently they are aiming at a more mainstream audience with FFXIV, or atleast that's what they say in interviews.

I won't sell great by any means, but I think part of that PC audience that you are referring to could actually move to the PS3 just like the shooter fanbase has moved from the PC to the HD consoles in the west, and perhaps the more mainstream FF fan if it's end up being a more accesible game.

By "mainstream" they mean "Monster Hunter".  Read up on FFXIV, they're taking almost all their cues from MoHun design wise.  Also, the PS2 HDD came with FFXI, it was a pretty effortless process for people who wanted to play it.  Also, the price of a PS2+FFXI+HDD (about 38,000 yen) then will be about the same as a PS3+FFXIV this year (about 38,000 yen).

I do think FFXIV PS3 presents a good opportunity to ensnare some PC MMORPG gamers, most in Japan game at PC bangs, cybercafes, work, school, etc.  PS3's pretty cheap, and would let them do it from home.  Kinda the same thing for MHFO on 360 imo, though that game already has it's installed PC base in place which probably makes it a little harder.  Still, I don't think you can really expect a groundswell exodus to consoles, the general culture there tends to favor entertainment outside the home (which is also partially why handheld gaming has taken over).  I think MAX for FFXIV PS3 will be ~200k and MHFO 360 ~100k.

edit: The western PC to consoles FPS shift isn't really comparable though imo.  The core problem in the west is piracy, which isn't an issue for MMORPGs (subscriptions vs retail).  And even still, I'd say stuff like L4D shows a stronger PC audience when the product is well supported for the community.  The western shift is really because content isn't available to PC gamers (Halo 3) or because PC equivalents are getting dumbed down/held back for console audiences (MW2), and the ultimate reasons behind that are piracy.

why do you call pc rooms in japan pc bangs when the word is korean?

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

OMG look at this week's famitsu index. I think it's the first time we are seeing only 1 game for the Wii listed there, and it's not even from a Japanese dev! WTF?

Seriously WTF? Are devs going to announce more Wii games ever?

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network

And ROFL LMFAO at the magazine cover :O

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

johnsobas said:
why do you call pc rooms in japan pc bangs when the word is korean?

A close friend of mine is Korean, it's just what I'm used to calling them.  I'm aware the Japanese equivalent is pretty different.

trestres said:

OMG look at this week's famitsu index. I think it's the first time we are seeing only 1 game for the Wii listed there, and it's not even from a Japanese dev! WTF?

meh, it's not reprsentative of the market.  Just look at the 360 section, that is indication enough.  God of war on the cover??  Not even a big game in Japan.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

johnsobas said:
trestres said:

meh, it's not reprsentative of the market.  Just look at the 360 section, that is indication enough.  God of war on the cover??  Not even a big game in Japan.

Sadly it is. Wii is close to forgotten by Japanese devs there in Japan.

Bets with Conegamer:

Fullfilled Prophecies

^
and PC is dead in Japan as well. :(

MikeB predicts that the PS3 will sell about 140 million units by the end of 2016 and triple the amount of 360s in the long run.