By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Just Dance, metascore 47

theprof00 said:
You guys are blaming a reviewer for not tailoring a review to all demographics.
Reviews are for gamers. That is their demographic.

I disagree.

Reviewers review the game for general demographics. As in, review for the masses, not selected few.

They are not suppose to review the game for themselves but for other people.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
You know what the problem here is?
You guys are blaming a reviewer for not tailoring a review to all demographics.
Reviews are for gamers. That is their demographic. I mean gamer not in the wii fan-endorsed sense of the word as "person who plays a game", but in the traditional sense. Someone who buys games, memorizes the various aspects, subscribes to magazines or goes to websites to look up upcoming releases. Someone who would answer "what do you do for fun" with "I play video games".

Those people are who most reviews are meant for. That score is perfectly matched to meet the tastes of that demographic. Sure it seems unfair, and maybe you think that they are "not judging the game for what it is", but that is an illogical argument. If they did that, review sites and mags would lose so many readers for giving a game like just dance the same score as Halo, or Gears. In theory, Just Dance should have that kind of score because a lot of people like it and consider it great quality. In practice, it would just lead a lot of gamers into buying games that will not meet their criteria of quality.

This is the problem with the review system. It isn't some unfair bias. It's the demographic. The review system has been tailored to the demographic because the demographic is what supports it. That is why it has always been said, "find some reviewers who share similar tastes and stick with their opinions and recommendations".

And sorry. Sorry that metacritic will not work for wii games (in general). Sorry that a big gamer site will not favorably rate a casual or wii game (in general). Stick with the reviewers you agree with, or start your own Wiicritic meta-analysis to get scores which match the fanbase. As such, it doesn't quite exist outside of teen magazines or cosmo. But hey, where there's a need, there's a niche. Go out and create something, you wily entrepreneur you.

Go take a look at the traffic to the big sites like Gamespot and IGN and tell us again that they should be tailoring to their existing customers.

Yeah, they can continue to marginalize potential customers outside their base, but it's not a clever strategy.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

PhalanxCO said:
psrock said:
Pyro as Bill said:
psrock said:
Pyro as Bill said:
psrock said:
Pyro as Bill said:
@psrock

I think you misunderstand what vaio is getting at. Imagine Teenage Tom wants a lion for his birthday. He doesn't get a lion he gets a tiger instead. It's not a lion but it's a good substitute. Tom's happy with his tiger. Little Lucy wants a pony and she gets a pony. She would have been happy with a horse but her parents delivered on their promise and Lucy gets exactly what she wanted.

Lucy's parents delivered better than Tom's. Is a pony better than a tiger? Who cares?

What?

I am not a big fan of MW2, but seriously the game is way beyond and has delivered way more than just dance could ever dream of. If you want a better example use The Conduit, that game was advertise has the big shooter, the crazy graphics and great multiplayer which it failed to deliver.

Once again, fun cannot be measured, it vary person to person. Stop bringing it up as excuse for a game badly reviewed but bought by the casual market.

For you maybe, for someone who wants a dancing game it doesn't.

I think my niece would tell you that Just Dance has delivered way more than MW2.

I would not expect someone who needs a dancing game to understand the value of MW2.

Can't blame a 9yr old girl for not understanding why someone would spend hours sitting in front of a TV twiddling their thumbs shouting at internet people. For some bizarre reason she prefers to dance with her real life friends instead. Strange.

Yet, you want me to understand why a grown man would stay home on a saturday to play a dancing game when they can go out to club and actually dance with a real girl and not not their mother with better music too. I just don't understand that kind of fun.

No, he's asking you to understand that someone else might value this game just as much as you value MW2.

no, they are not the same value. I can understand people liking the game over ever even playing MW2, but in terms of value, not in the same league.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/936/936295p1.html

We missed the mark -- that's the only way to explain why we've pulled the U.S. review of Just Dance off our site.

After seeing the community feedback and having more editors look at the title, we agree with the readers that our original review didn't give Just Dance a fair shake. Unfortunately, our critical analysis of Just Dance focused more on what the author wanted it to be rather than what the product actually was. We review games at IGN based on their own merits, and agree that it was unreasonable to compare Just Dance with action-oriented sports titles like FIFA or Pro Evolution Soccer. Because of the unfair comparison, we have deemed the review unacceptable and have removed it from the site.

We extend our sincerest apologies to both SEGA and our readers for the mistake and confusion. Look for an updated and more accurate relation of IGN's view of WWSM '09 sometime in the near future.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

"no"

Understand=/=agree. It just means you accept people have different tastes, and agree to disagree on them. Duh.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:

We missed the mark -- that's the only way to explain why we've pulled the U.S. review of Just Dance off our site.

After seeing the community feedback and having more editors look at the title, we agree with the readers that our original review didn't give Just Dance a fair shake. Unfortunately, our critical analysis of Just Dance focused more on what the author wanted it to be rather than what the product actually was. We review games at IGN based on their own merits, and agree that it was unreasonable to compare Just Dance with action-oriented sports titles like FIFA or Pro Evolution Soccer. Because of the unfair comparison, we have deemed the review unacceptable and have removed it from the site.

We extend our sincerest apologies to both SEGA and our readers for the mistake and confusion. Look for an updated and more accurate relation of IGN's view of WWSM '09 sometime in the near future.

Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I know.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

LordTheNightKnight said:
pastro243 said:
Well, if we are going to complain about this, lets also complain why most movies that get a lot of views get bad reviews or music that is very popular is looked down by musicians.

Hey, some do here in the off topic pages.

Yeah I know, and the way I see this is like a bunch of people complaining at a music site or mag that gave the jonas brothers or some rapper a 2/10 and these people saying it should get more because a lot of people like it, something I wouldnt agree with.

But the game has sold well and people seem to like it, so I wouldnt bother or do anything about reviews in the media since most probably people that buy this game wont even get in those sites or if they do they are not expecting the same kind of experience a good rated game would give, thats what I think.

Pyro as Bill said:
psrock said:
Pyro as Bill said:

I know.

I agree to a certain part we can't review Wii games to the same standards as traditional games, as they too different and made for a specific market. Now, how do these games get scored, based on what?

Or maybe not giving them a score better, just write a review, it's not like it's going to make a difference.

Next Gen 

I don't get why anyone is making a big deal out of this.  Plenty of people enjoy the Jonas Brothers, Twilight, and the Transformers movies, that doesn't mean they are pinnacles of their respective mediums.