By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Covers of songs you enjoy more than the original songs?

Olympia WA. - NOFX
Your Mama Don't Dance - Poison
The Race is On - Sawyer Brown
Whiskey in the Jar(-oh!) - Metallica

Around the Network

Times are a Changin' is a great song, probably my favorite part while watching The Watchmen.

Anywho, Hurt by Johnny Cash is a great cover (Original by N.I.N.)

rocketpig said:
oldschoolfool said:
SciFiBoy said:
All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix, much prefer it to the original version by Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan is the most god-awful singer in the history of music.

He's also one of the greatest writers in the history of music. Personally, I go back and forth on him depending on the song. Some I think his voice fits perfectly, others not so much.

I think anyone would be hard-pressed to do a better Tangled up in Blue than him.

Personal Jesus Depeche Mode (Johnny Cash original )

rocketpig said:
oldschoolfool said:
SciFiBoy said:
All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix, much prefer it to the original version by Bob Dylan

Bob Dylan is the most god-awful singer in the history of music.

He's also one of the greatest writers in the history of music. Personally, I go back and forth on him depending on the song. Some I think his voice fits perfectly, others not so much.

This, he was a great songwriter even if you dont like his voice. I also prefer a Lifehouse version of You belong to me over his but he wrote the song so thats a way bigger achievment.

Around the Network
Smeags said:
Times are a Changin' is a great song, probably my favorite part while watching The Watchmen.

It was also the ONLY time Snyder used music appropriately.

Sound of Silence for a funeral scene? Jesus Christ, thanks Captain Obvious. Thank you for your keen sense of subtlety.

Hallelujah for a sex scene? Zach Snyder, you need to be throat punched.

Along the Watchtower for the approach scene to Ozymandias' fortress? Again, you need to be slapped for going cork-on-the-fork stupid with an obvious selection.

99 Luftballons for a dinner scene? Okay, that was just confusing. I guess it works as a period piece but Christ almighty, there are only about 140,000 choices that would have made more sense than that.

Actually, his use of Unforgettable wasn't bad either. I'll give him credit for that one as well.

The problem is that ALL the songs he used are great songs on their own merit... he just used almost every one of them WRONG.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:
Smeags said:

The problem is that ALL the songs he used are great songs on their own merit... he just used almost every one of them WRONG.

Haha, my friend and I always shake our heads when we start talking about the use of Sound of Silence in that movie. Always pisses us off.

But was I the only one who thought the introduction of The Watchmen would actually make a more interesting movie than the actual movie itself?

Smeags said:
rocketpig said:
Smeags said:

Haha, my friend and I always shake our heads when we start talking about the use of Sound of Silence in that movie. Always pisses us off.

But was I the only one who thought the introduction of The Watchmen would actually make a more interesting movie than the actual movie itself?

The use of Hallelujah pissed me off even more. I remember watching the movie in a theatre with my friend and she just about died laughing when I said (quite loudly) "You have GOT to be fucking kidding me" when the song started up. Pretty much the entire theatre heard my disgust at that song choice.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

The use of Hallelujah pissed me off even more. I remember watching the movie in a theatre with my friend and she just about died laughing when I said (quite loudly) "You have GOT to be fucking kidding me" when the song started up. Pretty much the entire theatre heard my disgust at that song choice.

Yep, I really wasn't expecting much of the movie ("From Zach Snyder, the Groundbreaking director of 300" ) so I watched Coraline instead on that weekend (loved it too). Saw it when it released on DVD.

But man, you should have seen me in the theater while watching Transformers 2. My friend actually asked if I was alright. Apparantly I had this awful look on my face for the entire movie.

But anywho... yes... Cover songs. I hear they're pretty neat.

rocketpig said:

And this may sound like blasphemy but I prefer Fiona Apple's cover of Across The Universe to the original (though both are brilliant):

Glad you brought this one up--I completely agree.  That woman made some great music.