By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Covers of songs you enjoy more than the original songs?

See title.

If you post a vid, keep it down to one vid per post, please.

And nobody mention Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower, that is almost universally preferred to the Dylan original.

Now, anyway.

I prefer Rufus Wainwright's version of Hallelujah to any other version of it.

It is especially interesting to me that he takes an inherently religious song and turns it into something about the way love (for other people) can change people.

Around the Network

Whiskey in the jar- metallica made a badass song from some irish drinking song

supercat said:
Whiskey in the jar- metallica made a badass song from some irish drinking song

Metallica's done some good covers

I liked their version of Turn the Page, though not as much as Bob Seger's

I fought the law, the cover by the clash is better than the original.

Led Zeppelin's "When the Levee Breaks" leaps to mind.
As does Hendrix's rendition of 'All Along the Watchtower'. I feel like even Dylan would concede that it is far and away the best version of his song.

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

Around the Network

The Beatles - Please Mr Postman

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Jerusalem

Led Zeppelin - When the Levee Breaks

blaydcor said:
As does Hendrix's rendition of 'All Along the Watchtower'. I feel like even Dylan would concede that it is far and away the best version of his song.

I said in the OP:

And nobody mention Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower, that is almost universally preferred to the Dylan original.

And I'm pretty sure that Dylan said of Hendrix's version, "That's the song I was trying to make," so yeah, he agrees.

Poison

Poison (Alice Cooper)

Poison (Groove Coverage)

Khuutra said:
blaydcor said:

I said in the OP:

And I'm pretty sure that Dylan said of Hendrix's version, "That's the song I was trying to make," so yeah, he agrees.

That's what I get for being way too lazy to read the OP.

In that case, then I'll go with Hendrix's live cover of 'Like a Rolling Stone'. 

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

axumblade said:
99 Red Balloon by Goldfinger (cover of Nena)
Close To You by The Getup Kids (cover of The Cure)
No Ordinary Love by The Deftones (cover of Sade, although it's a close one imo)
I Don't Like Monday's by Tori Amos (cover of The Boomtown Rats).
Toxic by Local H (Cover of Britney Spears)
Wannabe by Zebrahead (Cover of Spice Girls)

On the other end of the spectrum, the worst covers I've ever heard are
Behind Blue Eyes by Limp Bizkit (attempt at Pink Floyd)

Also, I'm not too partial to the remake of We Are The World, just because you fill a studio with today's biggest stars doesn't mean they can really compete with the older stars from the original. Also, I hate the stupid voice distortion by Lil Wayne, T-Pain and 1 other guy in the song. It's supposed to sound sincere and not ultra polished.

Behind Blue Eyes is by The Who