By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 5.6 million PS3 sold according to Sony

Nintendownsmii said:
Wait I thought Sony always releases sold to retailer numbers, have they changed their stratagy for press releases?

I wouldn't say its all sunshine, rainbows, and lolipops for Sony since they are still losing money on each PS3 sold and have already bled how many billions?

Still it does seem to be that they might actually succeed in their 'crazy' sacrafice the playstation brand to push blu-ray and reap the liscensing fees plan.

I see no personal bias in this post.

Around the Network

Meh, it means my system of choice will have great software around the board ^^ wether or not it does well is besides the point :D I get to play some great games, and the system itself has more to offer. Not a thing wrong with that ^^

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

That 60 million downloads figure seems to be very high for such a short space of time. At E3 MS announced XBL was at 45 million downloads for all content.

It would be nice if they would give a breakdown of what content was being downloaded.

I'm guessing the download number includes the free stuff.

Nintendownsmii said:
Wait I thought Sony always releases sold to retailer numbers, have they changed their strategy for press releases?

I wouldn't say its all sunshine, rainbows, and lolipops for Sony since they are still losing money on each PS3 sold and have already bled how many billions?

Still it does seem to be that they might actually succeed in their 'crazy' sacrafice the playstation brand to push blu-ray and reap the liscensing fees plan.

Well they haven't lost as much as MS (which is sad considering hardware costs, R&D for Cell tech AND blu-ray, AND dev costs), and their currently in 2 makerts, video games and movies. Should either of these pan out their on solid ground, if BOTH take off. Well then it was an easy sacrifice. In my opinion anyway :P

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

Around the Network

5.6 mil is an old number fishy. From their Q2 report. Fail

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

"The company's worldwide sales goal for next March remains 11 million units."

Totally misleading. 11 million units is the forecast number of shipped PS3s during the current fiscal year only! 2 million were shipped in the first half of the year, which means they have 9 million to do between October 2007 and March 2008.

If they achieved that goal, they would have shipped a total of 14.6 million PS3s by the end of March 2008, meaning about 13.5 million sold to customers.

With all the games being delayed my guess is that they'll miserably fail regarding that goal, guaranteeing a new round of doom and gloom for the PS3 in the media and everywhere else.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

outlawauron said:
5.6 mil is an old number fishy. From their Q2 report. Fail

Which means VGC is pretty close, because that is to the end of sepetember, and its the middle of november meaning VGC is right around where it should be

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

FishyJoe said:
I'm guessing the download number includes the free stuff.

XBL 45 million was for all stuff as well. I find it a bit strange that PSN has passed XBL's 18 month number in less than a year.

FishyJoe said:

Although the trend for the last year has been for publisher to create Xbox 360 SKUs and then port to PS3, Sony claims this is now starting to reverse: "Developers are now creating games on PS3 and then porting them to other platforms. This shows the strides developers are making in creating content for PS3 and also provides developers with an advantage as it's harder to port from Xbox 360 to PS3. Ubisoft's Haze is the first title to be created on PS3 and ported to Xbox."

Hmm apparently sony is also admitting that the ps3 isn't up to handling xbox360 ports, but the porting to the 360 from ps3 should be easy

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!