By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst believes Nintendo Wii needs another price cut imminently!

Despite the fact that Nintendo is dominating the video game market in both console and game sales for the last two months, an important market analyst believes the Nintendo Wii needs another price cut.  As you may recall, Nintendo cut the price of the Wii to $200 in late September in time for the holiday season, and it greatly paid off with record gaming sales in December. 

Now, with sales down, analyst Mike Hickey of Janco Partners believes another price cut to $150 is imminently needed.  He also said in an interview with Industry Gamers that if Nintendo doesn’t cut prices on the Wii, then Nintendo will be doomed to a down year.  He also predicts that game software across the board needs price cuts and that the PS3 and Xbox 360 will be fine if their respective motion capture devices are released by the end of the year.

Hickey’s prediction is a bold one due to Nintendo leading the market across the board in sales in the video game industry.  While I think a price cut would help sustain the sales rate, it is more icing on the cake than a necessary action.  Equating the juggernaut that is the Wii to a passing fad is errant due to Nintendo’s track record.  The only home console failure was the Game Cube, and maybe the Virtual Boy if you consider it a home console.  I think Nintendo will be fine with the good games it has coming out in 2010.  This point in the year is just a low point due to holiday buzz ending and E3 still being months away.

http://www.examiner.com/x-13000-NY-Wii-Examiner~y2010m2d20-Analyst-believes-Nintendo-Wii-needs-another-price-cut

Around the Network

My cat could make better predictions and give better advice than most analysts.

His name is 'KIT' btw.

Kit the Cat, nice

mmmm... stupid analysts are blinded by hate

Nintendo is the best videogames company ever!

I think analysts for the most part are (insert words here)

amazing ....

Time to Work !

Around the Network

Y'know, the sheer lunacy of these "analysts" makes me wonder what I would need to do to become one. I (as well as a majority of people here, for that matter) could probably be more accurate than these paid hacks. And then we could charge more for our accuracy! Woohoo!!

-dunno001

-On a quest for the truly perfect game; I don't think it exists...

blinded by a complete and utter ignorance of the videogame business. Infact, ignorance of probably 90% of the industries they claim to have expert knowledge on.

The 2008 great depression says hi

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Not the first time I read something like this from an Analyst.............oh boy.

"The Common Cold Isn't So Common During The Cold"     

Maybe they should wait for it to be in stock across North America before cutting the price.

... So a pricecut is needed because sales are down compared to the record-breaking holiday season? XD

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046