By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Graphics card Advice

Cool. Good luck with that.

Around the Network

The other day I actually bought a video card for my computer. I'm also running a Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM.

I bought the BFG 9800 GT. It runs about $130. I didn't want to spend too much, just looking to do some PC gaming.

So far I tested CoD4, Unreal Tournament 3, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Lost Planet, Dirt, Bioshock, and Zeno Clash. All of them are playable on high settings, but some I put on medium settings. Perhaps you can play newer games if you buy a $200+ card.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly you're probably more CPU limited than GPU limited. Though personally I would have suggested an HD 4670/5670 you still got a fine card with good value for money. In your case graphics settings have less to do with your performance than anything which reduces the load on the CPU.

WilliamWatts said:
Mr Puggsly you're probably more CPU limited than GPU limited. Though personally I would have suggested an HD 4670/5670 you still got a fine card with good value for money. In your case graphics settings have less to do with your performance than anything which reduces the load on the CPU.

Funny you say that, I actually purchased the ATI 4670 first because I was told it would be better (http://www.frys.com/product/5851543?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG ). I returned it and got the BFG 9800 GT, which actually performs slightly better.

I know my CPU isn't the greatest, but a superior video card would still greatly improve performance. However, a better video card would also require a superior power supply.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I would agree with your friend and the other members of this forum and just scrap your whole computer. And williamwatts even posted a decent system for just over $400. You cant really beat it for the price

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
The other day I actually bought a video card for my computer. I'm also running a Pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM.

I bought the BFG 9800 GT. It runs about $130. I didn't want to spend too much, just looking to do some PC gaming.

So far I tested CoD4, Unreal Tournament 3, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, Lost Planet, Dirt, Bioshock, and Zeno Clash. All of them are playable on high settings, but some I put on medium settings. Perhaps you can play newer games if you buy a $200+ card.

You should take it back, because you got ripped off.

Click on this link. It's a comparison of high-end graphics cards using a synthetic benchmark. I've highlighted the card that you bought. Now look upward several inches until you see, "Radeon HD 4850." You'll see that the 4850 has about a 33% performance increase over your 9800 GT. Well, it's also only $100. And furthermore, you overpaid for a 9800 GT in the first place.

Seriously though, if you're running a P4 with 1 GB RAM, you'll be bottlenecked by your CPU and RAM long before your video card. (Not to mention something like your hard drive, which - even if you got a WD Raptor or something back in 2005 - will be slow as molasses compared to a modern $50ish HDD.) If you have the money, you really should build a new system.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Yeah, I agree with Garcian, you got ripped off. You should have got the much faster 4850 for $30 less than you paid.

Mr Puggsly said:
WilliamWatts said:

Funny you say that, I actually purchased the ATI 4670 first because I was told it would be better (http://www.frys.com/product/5851543?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG ). I returned it and got the BFG 9800 GT, which actually performs slightly better.

I know my CPU isn't the greatest, but a superior video card would still greatly improve performance. However, a better video card would also require a superior power supply.

Yep the 9800GT definately performs better! Im not even sure how you're getting games which require dual cores to work. Bravo to you I guess because I would have thought a P4 at this point would be completely inadequate for games. Your maximum performance would probably scale with your CPU performance, im sure if you overclocked the CPU you'd see almost linear performance improvement relative to CPU performance.

you guys have made me realise how much i got ripped off with my computer 500 quid for the 3.2 pentium 4 512mb ram (i upgraded to 2 gig) and the shitty radeon 1650 intergrated sound card! , using all this advice me and my friend have just compiled a list of parts i am going to get for £500 including case and power supply and cooling . the exact same price i payed for my rip off computer

In The End , There Will Be Only Chaos

domandthemachine said:
you guys have made me realise how much i got ripped off with my computer 500 quid for the 3.2 pentium 4 512mb ram (i upgraded to 2 gig) and the shitty radeon 1650 intergrated sound card! , using all this advice me and my friend have just compiled a list of parts i am going to get for £500 including case and power supply and cooling . the exact same price i payed for my rip off computer

Post the list. We may be able to improve on it.