By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Graphics card Advice

WilliamWatts said:
CommunistHater said:
You are good for Starcraft 2 if you just upgrade your card to something off ebay.

Are you sure? That graphics card is at least 11 years old! Judging by the name of it, it wasn't even high end that long ago. Its older than the PS2!

thanks for the help how much money are we talking about here?

In The End , There Will Be Only Chaos

Around the Network

THANKYOU FOR THE HELP PEOPLE , i feel ashamed now i know how bad it all is lmao!

would we recomend getting my friend to upgrade my computer by gttin parts off ebuyer or whatever or taking it into a shop and going from there?

Firstly I think we need to understand what you've got.

Could you go Start -> Run -> Then type "DXDIAG" if it comes up with a yes/no box choose no then select the 'display' tab. It should tell you what graphics card you're running.

You can't be running a Radeon 6500 and run modern games, it would be impossible. You could be running a Radeon 9500 as they were common enough back in the day.

domandthemachine said:
would we recomend getting my friend to upgrade my computer by gttin parts off ebuyer or whatever or taking it into a shop and going from there?

I'm guessing you mean that you have a GEForce 6500 rather than a Radeon 6500. That was a lower-end card back in 2005, so a $100 Radeon 4850 will blow it away in terms of performance.

Do me a favor and download CPU-Z. It's a nifty little freeware utility that gives you all sorts of information about your system. If you post info about your CPU, memory, video card, and so on, then that'll help me and others on these boards to decide what else you need to upgrade. It'll most likely be everything, but it might be worth it to see anyway.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Around the Network

im so sorry i typed the wrong thing , i was just cofused about it and looking at different cards i must have mixed em up i have the RADEON X1650  not the 6500 , i downloaded the cpu-z and im just going to type everything it says about my graphics and processor

CPU

intel pentium 4 541

code name prescott

core voltage - around 1.400

specification - intel pentium 4 cpu 3.20GHZ

bus speed - 199.6 mhz

caches l1 data 16kbytes 8 way    level 2 1024 kbytes     trace -23kuops

GRAPHICS

RADEON X1650 SERIES

CODE NAME -rv535

technology 80 nm

512 mbytes

is than enough info?

thankyou i really apriciate your help

domandthemachine said:

im so sorry i typed the wrong thing , i was just cofused about it and looking at different cards i must have mixed em up i have the RADEON X1650  not the 6500 , i downloaded the cpu-z and im just going to type everything it says about my graphics and processor

CPU

intel pentium 4 541

code name prescott

core voltage - around 1.400

specification - intel pentium 4 cpu 3.20GHZ

bus speed - 199.6 mhz

caches l1 data 16kbytes 8 way    level 2 1024 kbytes     trace -23kuops

GRAPHICS

RADEON X1650 SERIES

CODE NAME -rv535

technology 80 nm

512 mbytes

is than enough info?

thankyou i really apriciate your help

Wow, those are old. Judging by the parts, your build is from early 2005-ish, so it's definitely time to upgrade the entire thing.

If you give me your budget, monitor resolution, and anything else you'd like to use the computer for (watching movies, video editing, etc.), then I'll be able to spec you out something that blows that thing away.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161319&cm_re=HD_5670-_-14-161-319-_-Product

Check out the HD 5670. Its $95 with free shipping and its a drop in replacement for your video card. It has significantly more performance and it'll keep you going for a while longer. That'd be a pretty good short term upgrade.

If you want a more 'serious' upgrade you'll need to change your CPU, memory and motherboard so:

2GB DDR2 RAM $36

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134492

AM2+ motherboard + Athlon II Tri core 2.9 Ghz

$135

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.334872

So the total for a system overhaul is: $266, $302 if you want 4GB ram + shipping/taxes.

This system would be especially good for strategy games as they tend to like more cores in general.

Just one last thing, could you open up your system and tell us what kind of power supply you have. Brand + model number is pretty fine along with the rated wattage if you can see it.

i really apriciate your help , would it be easier to just build a new system? iv just been discussing with my friend and he says i can build a epic system for around £500 is that enough? the power supply is obsolete lmao 450 wat but its rubbish i think im going to just rebuild now you have given me some prices , I DIDNT KNOW HOW MUCH CHEAPER IT WAS TO BUILD A RIG THAN BUY ONE

DECIDED im just going to build a new computer , thanks for all youe expertees! i was lost without you