By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Top 10 most expensive video games budgets ever

Shouldn't Alan Wake be on that list?? That game will have been in production for like 6 years by the time it releases in May. It was announced E3 2005 (June), which would mean they had already started working on it for at least several months I'd say. Anyways, anyone know how much this game has cost?

Around the Network

I can't still believe GTA4 is so expensive, and I see Halo 3 and Too Human in that list and I just laugh wtf??

I guess shenmue, adjusted for inflation, will prolly still be the most expensive game ever made...
How bad was too human? never got a chance to try that one out..

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

They said that Gran Turismo 5 had a budget of $60 million in November of 2009, not mid-2008.

The Halo 3 numbers also look off, from what I recall.

The only numbers that look somewhat accurate are the figures for Killzone, FFXII, Shenmue, Too Human, and GTA.

This list is just bad all around. Not only are half the numbers questionable or downright wrong, but it doesn't include FFXIII or Red Dead Redemption.

Not a bad article, but marketing budgets should really be included. Can't make a game without marketing it, and can't profit without making back the money spent on marketing.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
psrock said:
disolitude said:
This guy pulls budget numebrs out of his ass.

Halo 3's budget was estimated around 30 million and advertising budget was 40 million.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_3_marketing

People will write anything for page hits...

How ironic you use wikpedia to prove him wrong.

Trust me, MS spent more than 40 million dollars to advertise Halo 3.

No...trust me they didnt. I work in online advertising industry and am an active member on Bungie boards. Their advertising budget was 30 mil...but they spent around 10 more.

Have a read here if you'd like...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2007/sep/24/halo3amoviebeaterinprofit

Microsoft profited for the first time in their gaming division when halo 3 came out (165 million or so), and it doesn't make sense that they spent 200 mil on advertising and 50 mil on the game if the game made them 175 million firts week and probably around 250 million during the first month. They barely would have recovered the money invested in the game for that quarter.

Edit - I think you are confusing advertising budget with launch budget. Call of duty MW2 has "launch budget" of 200 million. They shipped 10 million copies of the game...lets say that averga cost of making and shipping the case, disc, manual is 10-15 dollars X 10 million...thats  100-150 million right there. And they had a more intense ad campaign than halo...so ~100-50 million advertising. 

Nothing had more intense campaign than Halo 3. It was everywhere.

Yeah ok...I respect your "hunch" but lets be serious. So microsoft spent 200 on marketing, 60 on the game and about 100 mil to distribute it. So halo needed to sell over 7 million copies at full price to break even. Right... MS is smart. Game cost 30, and thats a fact...check bungie boards. Advertising was set to 30 as well but was bumped to 40 . The 40 million for advertising is more than an average movie would spend...hence why it was such a big deal.

I never said MS spent 200 million dollars on advertisement, I am saying they spent more than 40 million.

Well the Wikipedia page does say they spent more than $40 million.

And just because Halo 3 was everywhere doesn't mean MS paid for it all. I imagine Burger King, Pepsi, and 7-Eleven actually paid MS to be apart of the Halo 3 launch. Halo 3 isn't a controversal game like MW2 so its easier to get support from major companies.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I don't think GT5's budget is THAT big,but even if it was,Prologue covered most of it,and its still selling.

arsenicazure said:
I guess shenmue, adjusted for inflation, will prolly still be the most expensive game ever made...
How bad was too human? never got a chance to try that one out..

Not this adjusted for inflation argument. Nobody goes bye that.

I don't think an expensive game makes a better game. Gta4 was more expensive,but it wasn't the best game in the series. Not buy a longshot.

Kaz himself stated GT5 is 60 mil budget, this guy is pulling those numbers out of the air, or even better, out of his arse.

MY HYPE LIST: 1) Gran Turismo 5; 2) Civilization V; 3) Starcraft II; 4) The Last Guardian; 5) Metal Gear Solid: Rising