By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - can the 360 sell 70+ million consoles?

can the 360 sell 70+ million consoles?

Yeah easy 111 30.16%

Nope 129 35.05%

Mabye a little less 104 28.26%

I'm a troll so I'll go here 24 6.52%

Total:368

If the 360 dispeared they'd come out with the 720 with proper next gen features...WiFi and a bigger storage.

Around the Network
WilliamWatts said:
EdStation3 said:
A lot of big 3rd parties generation have stated that the PS3 is more attractive in the long run. Don't quote me on it, but I believe EA said this not that long ago. They're just waiting for the PS3 to hit a certain level of market share and I'm sure it will be a tidal wave of support going to the PS3. Dreamcast released with a 1.9GB medium...PS2 released with 8.5GB medium...nobody wanted to develop for a system that didn't allow them to do what they wanted. N64 and PS1...same thing...eventually everyone got tired of its limitation and left. Im sure if anything the only thing that's kept the 360 from losing support is MS aggressive bribing of 3rd party executives. That can only keep them afloat for so long.

I very much doubt this. Developers have to keep their games within a certain size limit for digistribution on Steam etc for cross platform console + PC games. They aren't going to rush out and slap on another 20GB of data like dirty savages slap on mud and just support the PS3. EA is struggling to make money as it is, so they aren't going to tack on another 40% more development costs whilst cutting their market into 1/2 or less than 40% for PC/console titles.

ahh. but which developer's for which platform does this mainly apply ?

more playstation 3 developer's

or

xbox360 developer's

or

3rd party developer's

see that's the problem, both Microsoft and Sony each have their own networks to distribute  game's on it only come's down to what developer's want to distribut their game's on and on which networks.

the point being are there more third party developer's that develop for the

pc+xbox360

than there are for

pc+ps3

I think we can all agree that there are more developer's for the PC+xbox360 because let's look at steam is that for LINUX or Microsoft platform?

let me answer that

System Requirements

• Windows XP, Vista or 7
  • 256 MB RAM
  • 1 Ghz or faster processor
  • 1GB HD space (recommended)
  • Internet connection (broadband recommended)

If you are not sure your computer meets these system requirements, please check with your computer manufacturer.

Dedicated Server

If you want to run a game server on the Internet or a private LAN, get the necessary program files here. Servers are available for both Windows and Linux operating systems:

Windows HLDS Update Tool

Linux HLDS Update Tool

As you can see it's taylor made for Window's, thus many 3rd party developer's are the target.

while this is not so much what is inline for everyone it is inline for every PC developer that want's to develop game for a Microsoft based system.

nothing wrong with that but the fact is that Sony's system is not a Microsoft based system. so not every development tool, or network support help's them, that's why they have their own tool's APi's etc.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

EdStation3 said:
If the 360 dispeared they'd come out with the 720 with proper next gen features...WiFi and a bigger storage.

That still doesn't solve the problem for games that come out on PC as well since lots of people just buy them off steam and such. So in the end the storage problems aren't just for 360 they are 360 and PC which means only console exclusives would be able to take advantage of more disk space. So in the end most games would still stay about the same size...

Mabye a little less

If project NATAL is well received in the all world (Japan included)

Note: toastboy44562 check your sign, I believe it's TRUE and not TURE :)

EdStation3,

Nothing you are saying is showing any signs of changing the market. The PS3 will be lucky to outsell the 360 by 100K a month average through October and 500K total in November and December. This is with MS keeping the 360 at the same cost structure they have had since September 2008.

Can you name 1 3rd party title that has been cancelled because of space on the 360 DVD?

If MS really felt that lack of builtin WiFi was holding the 360 back they could easily add it in at minimal cost.

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

Around the Network
sanadawarrior said:
EdStation3 said:

That still doesn't solve the problem for games that come out on PC as well since lots of people just buy them off steam and such. So in the end the storage problems aren't just for 360 they are 360 and PC which means only console exclusives would be able to take advantage of more disk space. So in the end most games would still stay about the same size...

but that is what it just boil's down two.

you have developer's from PC + xbox360 platform

while there are some

developer's for the PC+ps3

which of the majority of the  PC desveloper's would choose to develop for HD console's  out of the two platform's

xbox360 or the PS3?

so which tool's would you use as a developer?

Open GL or Direct X?

the point being is there is more of a factor of developer's on the PC front to use the xbox360 as their target platform if they are going to use steam , than there would be if they were targeting the PS3. not to say they would not put the game on the PS3 but that would require extra tool's to do so.

there is a point of which developer's go toward a platform and what tool's they use to make their game's .

I AM BOLO

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

sanadawarrior said:
EdStation3 said:
You doubt this?? Tell you that you are aware that games "get bigger". It's mantra...everyone knows this. 360 sealed it's fate with a shorter lifecycle when they went DVD. How many big PC titles are made on CD? They all jumped to DVD...you wouldn't buy a PC to game that has a CDROM drive. No, you'd have to upgrade a lot sooner because big PC developers will leave you behind a lot faster. They didn't say "Well almost every PC has a CDROM drive but not every PC has a DVDROM drive...let's make our games CD size"...no...they keep going with bigger games.

So how many pc games use blu-ray?

none yet. but that very same question was asked about DVD when DVD was first in the mainstream tech market..

or better than that

what operating system would be used to distribute on DVD over CD? HEY WINDOW'S XP was good enough on CD

example:

home basic:

VISTA

• 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor

• 512 MB of system memory

• 20 GB hard drive with at least 15 GB of available space

• Support for DirectX 9 graphics and 32 MB of graphics memory

• DVD-ROM drive

• Audio Output

• Internet access (fees may apply)

the point is, you could say that "well a game is not an operating system" which is true, but on the same token it's software just like the Operating system is software.

I AM BOLO

ps:

Natal will be used with the next XBOX and with PC eventually. So , supporting NATAL doesn't mean much.

The market isn't that big, I know lastgen there were less gamers but lastgen the total number of consoles solds worldwide was around the 180 million. We're about 45 million short of that this gen, say we get up to 250 million consoles this gen then there are about 110 millions tobe bought consoles this gen. So say that the 360 will take 30 40million of that sounds insane unless the PS-wand fails compleetly and the Wii stops being as succesful as the PS3 and 360 combined.

Nope, the console makers (as in Sony and Microsoft) might have a 10 year plan but the market eventually has enough. If they hold true to that 10 year plan then Nintendo will come out with something new in that time and grab the mainstream market once again.

Depends how long microsoft supports the console, I can see 60million lifetime, but 80million I can't see that happening unless Natal rockets off and xbox360 is selling like hotcakes, that the wii is currently doing.