By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - can the 360 sell 70+ million consoles?

can the 360 sell 70+ million consoles?

Yeah easy 111 30.16%

Nope 129 35.05%

Mabye a little less 104 28.26%

I'm a troll so I'll go here 24 6.52%

Total:368
Grey21 said:
The market isn't that big, I know lastgen there were less gamers but lastgen the total number of consoles solds worldwide was around the 180 million. We're about 45 million short of that this gen, say we get up to 250 million consoles this gen then there are about 110 millions tobe bought consoles this gen. So say that the 360 will take 30 40million of that sounds insane unless the PS-wand fails compleetly and the Wii stops being as succesful as the PS3 and 360 combined.

Nope, the console makers (as in Sony and Microsoft) might have a 10 year plan but the market eventually has enough. If they hold true to that 10 year plan then Nintendo will come out with something new in that time and grab the mainstream market once again.

See that's also the probelm with looking at that in such a way that one of the companies is going to run away with the market share that no other system will be viable as an option. I think unlike the previous generation, these current system's and i think Nintendo , Sony an Microsoft all know this that there is problem's already with one system even getting that close anymore of running away completely with the market.

a) the current generation system's demand would have to dry up. even with that the product's will still be on the shelf while the new system's get released, thus the new product will have a higher price tag. and what will the next system's hold over these current system's to see if people will jump on the new system's over with purchase of a new or stick with the current.

one only has to look at as an example the nintendo DS an the DSI than look the the PSP's various introduction's

it is getting to the point with the game console's.

how many sku's did the xbox360 and the PS3 have already.

I am glad you did point toward Nintendo, because EVEN Nintendo which I think also has the best chance, will still have the same problem as they have with the handheld's even though the DSI is selling very well, the DS is still selling like crazy. Nintendo has no other choice but to keep it on the shelf, the same is going to happen with the Wii.

thus your going to see an extension itself into the market because the product's are still selling well enough that store's have little choice to keep the product on the shelf if it still sell's the only thing that will stop that is if the companies refuse to build it. which the way these system's are selling I just do not see it happening. not anytime soon that is.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

Around the Network

I dont think so. I think the general hardcore 360 crowd already exists. Its sales will start slowing this year, but still be solid.

The PS3 has more room for growth IMO.

But both consoles are so similar that people will only get one or the other, only hardcore gamers purchase multiple consoles.

And, I Should add, hardcore gamers are the minority when it comes to the general population.

I am not sure about 70 million. I did not personally see the 360 passing even 60 million,

but you never know.

My gut feels Natal will not be the success everyone thinks it will, but I don not think it will be an outright failure either.

You never know.

Why do I have a feeling that around this time next year when the 360 is at about 50 million people will still say the 360 will stall out at 55-60 million?

Its libraries that sell systems not a single game.

thx1139 said:
Why do I have a feeling that around this time next year when the 360 is at about 50 million people will still say the 360 will stall out at 55-60 million?

I think many people on the game forum's yes, but for the people outside will still continue to see the xbox360 as a great choice for a game system even when a new xbox system get's released. I cannot for the life of me see how many think this generation is going to end in 1.5 to even 2 years from now. it is just too early.

I think Microsoft and Sony and of Course Nintendo know this, this is one of the thing's that is showing that this unlike previous generation's all three system's have such a diverse number of income stream's that why would these companies just up and forget about keeping support going. Since the hardware is pretty robust why would all of a sudden they would just not keep support if they could sell the same game on both system's with say the new machine has the better updated resolution, maybe extra's for the new machine. but that would enable developer's to make money with their software on the older machine's.

now before that was not very much of an option with game console's

but with digital distribution, and alway's online capability as these current machine's have it's like offering an:

SD ver of the movie along with the HD ver.

only instead that would apply to game's as well.

I AM BOLO

100% lover "nothing else matter's" after that...

ps:

Proud psOne/2/3/p owner.  I survived Aplcalyps3 and all I got was this lousy Signature.

i can see 60 million tops, 70 million is too much

Around the Network

microsoft could reach 70 mil 360's sold as long as they keep spending lots of money on exclusive titles and spending lots of money to get some of sony's exclusives to go multi-platform. that is how they keep their current success going despite the huge failure rate they had. microsoft is one of the richest companies in the world. the original xbox never turned a profit and they werent even phased. an estimated 52% of 360's broke causing them to spend 1.5 billion on the extended warranty and the company wasnt even phased by it. if they want to sell 70 million 360's then they have the money to market it well and they have the money to keep releasing bundles and cheap consoles like the arcade model.

also (and not to hate on 360 or anything) keep in mind that 360's still are defective. maybe not 52% anymore it could be as low as 15-20% now but every 360 that breaks after the warranty means that another 360 will probably be sold to replace it as I am sure many were in the past and it probably accounted for a few million in sales and a few million added to the install base when broken 360's were replaced. and the same goes for people who modded their 360 and had to replace it when they got banned from live because the 360 is incapable of going online after a ban(used 360 buyers beware). also think about how many ps2 sales that added to the install base were just people buying a second ps2 after the first one broke. probably a good 10 million of them---but yea this is just another way to reach 70 million...i think way too much about this nonsense

EdStation3 said:
You doubt this?? Tell you that you are aware that games "get bigger". It's mantra...everyone knows this. 360 sealed it's fate with a shorter lifecycle when they went DVD. How many big PC titles are made on CD? They all jumped to DVD...you wouldn't buy a PC to game that has a CDROM drive. No, you'd have to upgrade a lot sooner because big PC developers will leave you behind a lot faster. They didn't say "Well almost every PC has a CDROM drive but not every PC has a DVDROM drive...let's make our games CD size"...no...they keep going with bigger games.

I think you need to stop getting your logic from sonydefenseforce.com.

First of all, by that logic PC games would have switched to Blu-Rays by now? Have they? Any of them? Nope. What's more, how much space is being used on blurays? The only games using tons of space on these blu-rays are games with tons of cutscenes. I couldn't believe the original Mass Effect fit on a DVD, but due to the grand majority of the game not being prerendered, it could. All told, it's mostly only cutscene heavy RPGs that need tons of space - and even then, blurays are largely filled with redundant data (unnessecary on a DVD) to improve  load times due to the relatively slow transfer rate of a BluRay drive.

In fact, the only type of games that would be limited on the 360 vs the PS3, are entirely open world games, lacking any linear storyline, that have a massive number of cutscenes. One of the closest things we have is Mass Effect 2, and they set up their game to only require 2 disk swaps during the playthrough. Yes, a couple disk swaps are nessecary, but considering the fact that 360 games, on average, load faster than PS3 games, I'd say it's a small price to pay.

"can the 360 sell 70+ million consoles?
Yeah easy
Nope
Mabye a little less
I'm a troll so I'll go here"

At the time I looked at the poll (111 votes) 35.58% of the people chose "Nope." when the option right below "Maybe a little less" can cover pretty much any value from the already 40mil right up to the poll's top 70mil. This poll really shows how many PS3 fanboys (IN DENIAL), MS (FLAIMING) haters, or people who just can't read all the choices before making a selection (PLAIN STUPID) . Even thinking the 360 will tank over the next few years it's unrealistic to think it can't sell another 20 mil units over the rest of it's life which would bring the total still to 60mil fitting into the ("Maybe a little less") category.

Therefore this poll really only has 3 choices:
Yeah easy
Maybe a little less
I'm a troll so I'll go here"

Are the members of this site that filled with hate or blind PS3 love?

^ haha there are fanboys all over this site. This is a systems sold website, so the most insane of the fanboys sign up here. Although I dont think its near as bad as Gaf forums are.

That said, tons of people on this site are balanced too. Just depends on who wants to fling poo at who I think.

About a year ago, most on this site would have laughed att Xbox360 reaching 50 million, now that it's very clearly obvious that it will reach that number...oh...only 10-11 million away...they are setting 70 as the new limit...lol. If Natal works out, I think 70-75 million will be the minimum range.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder