Forums - General Discussion - Do you accept Evolution? Why or Why not

Do you accept Evolution? Why or Why not

Yes 91 82.73%

No 4 3.64%

No, but accept Microevolution 12 10.91%

Not sure 3 2.73%

Total:110
bimmylee said:

Uggghh. The "do you believe in evolution" argument often gets messy and convoluted. So here's what I believe:

Humans have always been a separate, distinct, intellectually-superior species from all other living things. Humans are not a result of another lesser species and never have been. The human that is alive today is virtually the same as the very first human that ever lived.

"But bimmy, don't be an idiot. Don't you believe in any sort of evolution at all?" Of course. However, I believe that whatever aspects of evolution that conflict with the aforementioned position are entirely false. Anything outside of this, however, is secondary, and I am generally open to discussing the possibilities.

And I would LOVE to talk about the abortion issue.

I was actually going to make a thread about the abortion issue. I enjoy hearing people's opinions on these "hot" debates. I don't get exactly what you mean human's that are alive today are the same as the first human that ever lived. Structural wise, most humans are very similar. Approximately 99.9% of the genome in humans are the exact same for everyone so only .1% is unique to you. But that's not point I'm trying to get. The point is that the first true human like us came around 200,000 years ago. Since speciation generally happens when a species is in a bottleneck effect(meaning a point of competition) because variations at points of competition are at the most importance during times when it is difficult to survive. Since humans are generally dominant in the whole planet, major changes are not necessary to fit the environment. In fact, the only major change in different climates is skin tone due to diverse UV exposures. Humans didn't need to change much to survive and that's humans(as in Homo Sapiens Sapiens) have not speciated even though we are located on different parts of the planet. I'm not sure if this answers anything in particular for you, but it should explain why the first humans and the humans today are still very similar.

Around the Network
FootballFan said:
I and btw it was me that clicked no.

I did it on accident, why is yes so near to no?!?!?!

haha! my bad! I'm just seeing people's thoughts on the subject, not the statistics of the subject. You foolish creationist!!!

RockSmith372 said:
FootballFan said:
I and btw it was me that clicked no.

I did it on accident, why is yes so near to no?!?!?!

haha! my bad! I'm just seeing people's thoughts on the subject, not the statistics of the subject. You foolish creationist!!!

I appologise in advance if anyone is offended but i found this kinda funny:

Kantor said:
bimmylee said:

Uggghh. The "do you believe in evolution" argument often gets messy and convoluted. So here's what I believe:

Humans have always been a separate, distinct, intellectually-superior species from all other living things. Humans are not a result of another lesser species and never have been. The human that is alive today is virtually the same as the very first human that ever lived.

"But bimmy, don't be an idiot. Don't you believe in any sort of evolution at all?" Of course. However, I believe that whatever aspects of evolution that conflict with the aforementioned position are entirely false. Anything outside of this, however, is secondary, and I am generally open to discussing the possibilities.

And where were these original humans from? They sprang out of the mud?

Humans have always been more intelligent than other species, yes (perhaps not dolphins), but you can't deny that an average human now is smarter than the average human 100 years ago, let alone 4 million.

"Where did these original humans come from?" An excellent question. Clearly, the theist nuances of my first post were too subtle. :)

Interestingly, I would agree with you in that the overall technological intelligence of the human race has varied from time to time; I believe that, due to past catastrophic natural disasters (on the global scale), the human race has had to technologically "start from scratch" at least once, if not twice or more. Evidence for this? Easter Island. Stonehenge. The Great Pyramids. Mankind used to have amazing (possibly superior) methods of construction that are now unknown to us.

And yes, I once heard a dolphin giving a lecture to other young dolphins on the topic of metallurgy. Very smart creatures indeed.

Check out my band, (the) Fracture Suit!!

http://www.myspace.com/fracturesuit

Have you been enslaved?

I accept evolution the fossil record pretty much proves it. Also someone already gave good example of it, if you take a closer look at current species you can see evidence of evolution.

Around the Network

Yes, because the evidence certainly supports it vs any religious based views on creation. As ever I'm just amazed there are people who don't believe it.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Kantor said:
bimmylee said:

And where were these original humans from? They sprang out of the mud?

Humans have always been more intelligent than other species, yes (perhaps not dolphins), but you can't deny that an average human now is smarter than the average human 100 years ago, let alone 4 million.

Ok Ill bite. I can most certainly deny that. The average human may be becoming more educated, but that does not mean they are smarter, and there is a huge difference. Sure, the technology we have now is greater then ever before, but that is because it is being slowly built on. The ancient egyptians who were capable of building pyramids, or the Romans, were in no way dumber then we are now.

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

I was just Baptized and Confirmed Catholic this past Easter, and nothing I was taught indicated that the Church could not agree with evolution; just that evolution has been done under the direction of God. Adam and Eve were not taught to me as two actual people, but as a representation of early mankind's falling from God's given perfection. People want to question why God does this or that. That's part of the point of God being God. We are not Gods, and cannot possibly be able to comprehend even a sliver of his consciousness.

sguy78 said:
I was just Baptized and Confirmed Catholic this past Easter, and nothing I was taught indicated that the Church could not agree with evolution; just that evolution has been done under the direction of God. Adam and Eve were not taught to me as two actual people, but as a representation of early mankind's falling from God's given perfection. People want to question why God does this or that. That's part of the point of God being God. We are not Gods, and cannot possibly be able to comprehend even a sliver of his consciousness.

Ok. So does that mean if God conducts evolution, he has developed homosexuality?

Can of worms. Impossible life question towards religion in regards to evolution.

FootballFan said:
sguy78 said:

Ok. So does that mean if God conducts evolution, he has developed homosexuality?

Can of worms. Impossible life question towards religion in regards to evolution.

Free Will. Men can choose to have sex with men. Again, I can't claim to have all the answers, but such a perfect universe seems so hard to have come together by chance.