By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Do you accept Evolution? Why or Why not

Do you accept Evolution? Why or Why not

Yes 91 82.73%

No 4 3.64%

No, but accept Microevolution 12 10.91%

Not sure 3 2.73%

Total:110

"Teacher, I have a ques.....tion" (that's how my korean class says it, it's adorable)

Are there any non religious reasons to not believe in evolution? Or more specifically, are there any non religious reasons to not believe in evolution that people actually use?

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network
stof said:
"Teacher, I have a ques.....tion" (that's how my korean class says it, it's adorable)

Are there any non religious reasons to not believe in evolution? Or more specifically, are there any non religious reasons to not believe in evolution that people actually use?

My chem teacher in high school refused to believe in any religion or in evolution because he didn't believe that the biology behind evolution made sense. He was an actual honest to goodness intelligent designest, one of the few I've met who wasn't actually a creationist in disguise.

Lord Flashheart said:
ManusJustus has it spot on.
I'm also tired of hearing I'm going to hell because I don't kneel before Zod, I mean God. Sure i'm a little sarky and don't think much of people but I don't go out and hurt people yet because I don't go to church one day a week I'm condemned. All I would have to do is go to church to be saved, I wouldn't have to change anything about the way I live my life so it appears to me it's not how you live your life but how often you pledge your unwavering subjection to a deity.
Doesn't add up to me. It's family members that have said I'm going to hell and they're trying to save me. What a wonderful god that would force family members to say that.

I was working on a production line with a guy from Africa and we started talking and he asked me if I drank. As he was the same age as me and I'm not a drunk I thought it would be safe to say yes. So I asked him if he did as I don't care if someones tea-total and he said no. Fair enough until he gave his reason why.
He said he didn't because the Lord Jesus never drank and then I knew I was in for it. I had to spend the next 7 hours listening to him preach to me.

Goodness... your post (and that of ManusJustus) indeed exposes some major issues that plague Christendom, including (but certainly not limited to):

- bizarre misunderstandings and misinterpretations of the Bible (such as "Jesus didn't drink") and ("going to church will 'save' you")

as well as

- grossly inappropriate and insensitive presentations of information (such as "you're going to hell")

Again, I feel the need to apologize on their behalf. In regards to these issues, here's the best advice you will get: when a fallible human being is trying to communicate any sort of biblical and/or Christian information to you, take it with a grain of salt; they could be completely misguided in what they are trying to tell you. Therefore, it is always better to directly consult the source (which is, of course, the Bible) on your own and find out for yourself just what it says. To emphasize how much better and more useful this approach is, let's consider the "Jesus-didn't-drink" comment uttered from your African co-worker:

In chapter 2 of the Gospel of John, Jesus famously turns water into wine at the marriage feast in Cana of Galilee. If Jesus didn't want people to be drinking, why in the world would he do such a thing? Additionally, it's well-known that Jesus himself drank wine with his disciples at the Last Supper.

Bam. Refuted.

Now, of course, you can (and probably will) come at me with the argument of "you're telling me to not listen to "fallible" humans, yet you want me to refer to a book written by fallible humans?" A logical response. But this argument, the argument of the infallibility of the Bible despite its human writers, is an entirely separate topic from the point I am making. To that end, I would again encourage you to do some of your own research. Many people, such as C.S. Lewis and Josh McDowell, have set out to destroy Christianity by totally disproving the infallability argument... and didn't exactly find what they were looking for.

Check out my band, (the) Fracture Suit!!

http://www.myspace.com/fracturesuit

Have you been enslaved?

Don't ever apologise for something you never did bimmylee. It's down to them not you. You shouldn't feel the need to be sorry on their behalf or responsible for their actions only your own.
I don't like it when someone feels ashamed of what they believe or who they are (like gender or colour) because of someone elses actions.

I didn't get the Jesus didn't drink bit as I was sure he had wine.
I do take things like that with a grain of salt but as they are most vocal it means anyone else who is reasonable also suffers the same way.

I'm fairly surprised that over 80% of the voters accept macroevolution, but that's probably because I live in Alabama where creationism and incest are the two most common things here.

Around the Network
RockSmith372 said:
I'm fairly surprised that over 80% of the voters accept macroevolution, but that's probably because I live in Alabama where creationism and incest are the two most common things here.

Evolution is pretty much accepted across Europe. In fact most people in Europe haven't heard about Intelligent Design. About half of VGChartz members are European which might explain why such a high percentage believe in evolution. Southern USA is where ID has the most support in the western world.