By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Valve sure it will develop for PS3 in the future?

binary solo said:
Just to be clear: the majority of rational PS3 fans have nothing against Valve choosing not to develop for PS3. It's their choice. What I (and most others) objected to was the dismissiveness with which they cast aside the PS3 as an unworthy system. I think the words Chet is choosing to use now when talking about the PS3 are much more professional and reasonable. I much prefer to respect the integrity of a developer who says "we don't have the technical expertise to achieve the sort of quality product we demand of ourselves to commit to developing for PS3" than to have to swallow insults like "PS3 is too hard to develop for, so why would we bother?"

Glad to see Chet has changed his tune, regardless of whether Valve ever directly develops for PS3.

They don't lack the technical expertise... they just have a large range of PC systems they have to cater for and they are generally following a similar programming model to the Xbox 360 which is a few general purpose cores with a stronger GPU. It takes a lot of testing to get systems ranging from GTX 7600s all the way to HD 5870s working well and as the PS3 doesn't fit into their programming model it would take a lot more work than its worth for them to do it.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
just to be real... I really think those PS3 fanboys shouldjust get over it. A Third Party developer (should) has the right to choose whatever platform they want whenever they want and the only Xxception is when there tied by contract. If you want to play a Valve game get a XBOX or a PC because you choose the wrong console.

Really son, really?  Because if it was about "leaving if up to the developers" to choose which consoles to develop on, it would be more than just a handful of developers doing it now.  You don't think there is a bunch of Japanese programmers asking why are they bothering to develop thier titiles on the X360?  You know a bunch of them probably down right hate it.  But its not about them or Valve or you or me.  Actually it is about you and me.  You like Xbox more, I like Playstation more.  The PUBLISHER wants to sell to both of us and its about making that money.  Never kid yourself on that fact, I don't care what the developers, publishers, journalists, or even the console makers say. 

I'm just saying...

^ The one in control of this games destiny is Valve, so I don't see how your little speach is relevant.

I don't think that Valve games will sell well on PS3, FPS generally don't sell well on PS3 unless they have "Call of Duty" in their name. I think they should just drop the idea of developing for PS3.

i dont think we care, their games are better on PC anyway.

that annoying it's those PR statements they make about it.
they sound lazy, and gabe nevell being fat helps with the statement flame wars start.

Around the Network

Kinda just sounds like he was humoring them.

Even if he was telling the truth.... Valve are EXCELLENT developers... however you gotta keep into account Valve time.

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time

It doesn't seem to make sense NOT to publish their games on PS3, unless someone is bribing them not to. They could have sold a few million games, and the games are 75% done, the textures, game and level design, motion capture, scripts, sounds, it's all in the can, so it's just a matter of programing a PS3 source engine port. May be not an easy task, but kind of weird that they haven't. Like I said, it's not like they are making the whole games over from scratch, for a relatively small effort they could open up a new market. Maybe they should just pay Naughty Dog to do it!

WilliamWatts said:
binary solo said:
Just to be clear: the majority of rational PS3 fans have nothing against Valve choosing not to develop for PS3. It's their choice. What I (and most others) objected to was the dismissiveness with which they cast aside the PS3 as an unworthy system. I think the words Chet is choosing to use now when talking about the PS3 are much more professional and reasonable. I much prefer to respect the integrity of a developer who says "we don't have the technical expertise to achieve the sort of quality product we demand of ourselves to commit to developing for PS3" than to have to swallow insults like "PS3 is too hard to develop for, so why would we bother?"

Glad to see Chet has changed his tune, regardless of whether Valve ever directly develops for PS3.

They don't lack the technical expertise... they just have a large range of PC systems they have to cater for and they are generally following a similar programming model to the Xbox 360 which is a few general purpose cores with a stronger GPU. It takes a lot of testing to get systems ranging from GTX 7600s all the way to HD 5870s working well and as the PS3 doesn't fit into their programming model it would take a lot more work than its worth for them to do it.

I think you're confused between talent and expertise and so became defensive towards what I said. Valve currently lacks the expertise to make a stellar PS3 title. But it doesn't mean the folks at Valve lack the talent. If they put the time and effort into getting their people up to (or close to) the Naughty Dog / Santa Monica level of PS3 expertise (or they hire some PS3 developer experience) then they have the talent to make an amazing PS3 game. Even if they get up to Infinity Ward expertise on PS3 they can do some great things. To put it in RPG terms: Valve is like a Fighter (PC & Xbox) but with high dexterity. They have the talent to multiclass into a fighter-rogue, but they lack the rogue (PS3) expertise because they haven't yet taken the multiclass option. By your logic no one who works on PC and Xbox should bother developing for PS3 because it's not worth the effort. Seems Bioware thinks it's worth the effort and they are a major PC developer.

I'm not quite sure how you think everyone is better off if they stick with PC and Xbox. PC and Xbox gamers might be better off, but that's not everyone. Of course if all they'd do is bring more FPS to PS3 then they are welcome to continue ignoring PS3, and PS4, as far as my gaming interests are concerned.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Sekishu said:
I don't think that Valve games will sell well on PS3, FPS generally don't sell well on PS3 unless they have "Call of Duty" in their name. I think they should just drop the idea of developing for PS3.

I wouldn't be surprised if CoD sales on PS3 too made Valve's mouth water. And even without CoD's bait, this gen the 3rd ranking is already bigger than the 2nd at the end of last gen, if they start porting their biggest games now, the first ones will be ready when PS3 will already be 40M+ big. maybe, having enough revenuse from PC and XB360, they just decided to leave the burden of launching PS3 on 1st parties and other 3rd parties' shoulders and now they decided it's time to harvest what others seeded. Cynical, but clever.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

When all the crows turns white will I believe Valve is even gonna develop for PS3.