By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Alan wake and Heavy Rain...i am impressed with both games so far but ...

Peggle Madden 2010 IS better than Peggle OR Madden orboth of them combined xD

Owner of PS1/PSOne , PS2 phat/slim  , PS3 phat/slim , PS Eye+Move and PSP phat/slim/brite/go (Sony)

The Official PS Vita Thread! Get all your latest PS Vita news here! Come join us!

Around the Network
theman88 said:

Which one will be better? I know that is a loaded question and is over asked, but just hear me out.

So i played the heavy rain demo and it was cool, the tools were awesome and i loved the story already. But i am less than impressed with the mouthing animations because they look like sonic or devil may cry 3. Also when hands grab things, the animations are terrible. So will the full game be better?

Alan Wake... i saw the gameplay footage and as PS3 fan i was very impressed. It looked cool and better animations not necessarily graphics than heavy rain. So what am i supposed to think here?I thougth Heavy rain was supposed to be this graphical king.

What do you all think in terms of the comparison

have you seen the new trailer of alan wake? the one that was shown here in vgchartz? watch that video and skip to 2:10 - 2:16 you telling me that has better animation? freeze it at 2:16 look at his right side.

Alan Wake is the better game.
Heavy Rain is the better interactive-psychological-experience.

If you're talking about gaming, Alan Wake is the only answer.

theman88 said:

So i played the heavy rain demo and it was cool, the tools were awesome and i loved the story already. But i am less than impressed with the mouthing animations because they look like sonic or devil may cry 3. [...]

Exactly.
Mouth animations are terrible. This is the only thing that could "kill" the experience for me. Everything else is brilliant.
Such a shame that this feature is broken on such a dialog-oriented game.
Ironic, isn't it?

My Gaming Setup

For Heavy Rain, I am concerned that the story will become a crazy mess by the end like it did in Fahrenheit. For Alan Wake, I am concerned about gameplay, it doesnt look too exciting so far.

I am getting both either way.

They are two different types of games. Animation wise I have different expectations from both.

That said, I haven't been as impressed with Alan wake as everyone else seems to have been. It is still not out so I can't make any concrete comparisons.

From what I have read and seen Alan wake uses light as a tool to create atmosphere. For a survival horror genre it is essential to create a sense of dread and Alan wake seems to have it in spades.

Heavy Rain looks and plays completely differently since it is a different type of game. The atmosphere is created with the use of sound, camera angles and presentation (close up and panoramic view at the same time) more. A sense of urgency is introduced through QTEs that appear very differently than in other games. I played the demo and bought the game immediately. Since Quantic dreams now has the engine I hope they either make some CSI type games or license the engine.

Around the Network

incomparable games.

alan wake vs gow3 is better as there both standard action genre

re: alan wake and heavy rain il be getting both.

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

If you guys want a "interactive-psychological-experience," just take Abnormal Psychology and Theories of Personality at your University. When you go home play Alan wake and you will be set.

alan wake will be better overall both in sales and meta i wasnt impressed with the HR demo some parts looked really good some didnt

the gameplay i really didnt like to much unnecessary dialogue, moving around looked bad and wasnt fun at all with the camera constantly changing kinda like the 1st RE games and needing 2 buttons to be pressed to perform it, also i dont like that u'll be playing as 5 diff characters in HR

im willing to bet anything that AW will sell better and outscore HR

Play Me

"alan wake will be better overall both in sales and meta i wasnt impressed with the HR demo some parts looked really good some didnt""

Yeah i agree. I dont want "point and click" or "rail-psychological gestures," i want to have total control of a character like Silent hill, Eternal Darkness, Condemn, resident evil. Is like spending 59.99 to watch a movie. Going to the movies you spend already $40-$50 something dollars with the wifey. Heavy Rain i will buy when its $19.99-22.99 count me in!

@BHR_3 I agree that AW will probably sell better but I believe that is because it is an action adventure game in the survival horror sub-genre not because it is a better game. Anything that is "better" is going to depend on the person's own preferences. Better is an opinion and very subjective.

Currently gamers are more interested in FPS or TPS action/adventure type games (sales speak volumes). Strict adventure games do "not" sell well.

I hope Heavy rain succeeds and we can have more adventure games published.