By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - PS2 will remain the best selling console of all time by the end of this gen

ethomaz said:

Michael-5 said:

You know Sony's figures are shipped numbers correct? Technically they are sales since retailers own them, but consumers have not purchaed them.

Your link does not work, and I have provided you a link from Sony stating 153.6 is the shipped figure as of November 21st 2011, not September 30th.

Can you show me a link with 155.1m as March 31st's official figure? (I believe you, I just want to see it for my own eyes, and this value agrees with information I have).

Also, can you show me somthing with a forcast for Sony? Based off trends I see, PS2 sales dead in Japan, Gamestop no longer accepting used PS2 games, and rumors of the Sony Store no longer stocking PS2's (which basically means that it's discontinued in North America), I have trouble seeing Sony ship more then 2-2.5 million PS2's, and of that I only PS2 selling around 1 million units tis year (Where DS will sell closer to 2.5 million).

Also, as a side note I would like to mention, arguing about this is trivial, no one of us knows for sure what will happen. Sony could recall many of their PS2's (If retailers can't sell them), they may discontinue it in Japan and North America, DS could sell a higher number of shipped inventory, etc,etc. Good debate though.

P.S. Do you agree with my calculation of PS2 selling 512k in the first half of 2012? (From my Quarterly Update)

Sorry the (.) made my link crash.

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_sale_e.html

You have to sum all the data but 153.6 million is from 30th September, 2011 shipment.

Before FY 2006 PS3 shipped 100.8m... Sony removed the page but you can see it here: http://web.archive.org/web/20110524050046/http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/data/bizdataps2_e.html just rember the correct number is 100.8m and not 101.37m because before 2006 Sony counted PS2 produced and not shipped... when Sony decided to change the number there was 570k PS2 produced and not shipped... to not be counted two time we removed these 570k after 2006.

A better table after 2006 with the cumulative data.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473601

PS2 sells great here in Brazil or others countries... more than Wii, PS3 and 360... so PS2 is not dead yet.

Edit - Sony release their financial results and number in November but this quarter ends in September 30th... the data is from the end of the quarter... so that's because your number are from September 30th and not November.

but Sony said as of November 21st ......ahhh now I see it. So then add 1,500,000 more units shipped for Q3 and Q4 that puts PS2 at 155.1 million shipped, plus whatever they have now.

What about Q1 2012 (April-June 2012), where did you get those figures?

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
DieAppleDie said:
Nintendo is stupid for not pushing Wii and DS in underdeveloped countries, thats where PS2s strength relies

They may not have the network to do it, remember Sony sells way more than just PS2s. The playstation family will always have that advantage. More consumers to sell to. All Ninty can do is push more in the territories they sell to(which Sony sells to as well).

All that discussion make me remember about something funny I said when PS2 shipped more than Wii, DS and 360 in one quarter last year.

"PS2 is ready for the nexgen confirmed"

It's funny because PS2 is entering into the new generation selling 3 million units per year... how many year to stop/die? 2 years? 3 years? Something like...

FY2012: 3 million?
FY2013: 2 million?
FY2014: 1 million?
FY2015: 500k?

Can PS2 reach 15 years before stop production? I think so.

DieAppleDie said:
Nintendo is stupid for not pushing Wii and DS in underdeveloped countries, thats where PS2s strength relies

I think because Sony sells a lot o other products in underdeveloped countries, it's fairly easy for them to sell PS2's there too. Nintendo is a company 1/10th the size of Sony. They simply do not have the same resources to sell consoles in remote regions. The risk of not selling inventory and taking a loss is too high (Sony can more easily redestribute).

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database

ethomaz said:
All that discussion make me remember about something funny I said when PS2 shipped more than Wii, DS and 360 in one quarter last year.

"PS2 is ready for the nexgen confirmed"

It's funny because PS2 is entering into the new generation selling 3 million units per year... how many year to stop/die? 2 years? 3 years? Something like...

FY2012: 3 million?
FY2013: 2 million?
FY2014: 1 million?
FY2015: 500k?

Can PS2 reach 15 years before stop production? I think so.

Wow so its looking to last as long as the Nes? Except with like 100 million more sales of course.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:

Michael-5 said:

Wait......Are you using Q2 fiscal or Q2 actual figures? Sony's fiscal Q2 is July - September, where a true Q2 is April - June. Meaning Sony's Q2 is actually Q3. I dunno when Nintendo's fiscal year is, I think it starts a month earlier (ending in February where Sony ends in March and MS ends in like June or something)

IF this is the case, you can't compare that info directly.

Also what do you believe PS2's shiped figures are for Q2?

I always talk about fiscal year...

Sony and Nintendo = April 1st to March 31st
Microsoft = July 1st to June 30th

These Nintendo numbers are Q2 FY2012 Nintendo... Sony is to release the Q2 FY2012 numbers in early November.

You can compare directly because Sony and Nintedo uses the same Fiscal Year... just for Microsot I compare differents quartes (eg. Sony/Nintendo Q2 with Microsoft Q1).

I'm sure Sony shipped more than 600k PS2 in Q2... wait november... three quarters in a row PS2 is outshelling DS.

Well, if Nintendo is selling a larger % of what it ships, does it matter if PS2 is outshipping the DS? I mean in Q1 (Jan-March), PS2 only shipped 600k. How many units did DS sell? DS is at what 1.9 million sold this year. If I assume PS2 shipped 75% as well as it did last year (which I think is a high estimate), that would put PS2 shipments at 2.7m for Jan-Sept (which includes the hard 600k Sony gave for Q1). If I assume it's doing 50% as well (which is very possible based off FYQ4 or Q1 figures), this put PS2 at 1.9 million shipped, or what DS has sold so far.

I think you're an excellent debater, and you have definatly shed some light on this for me, but I think it's still too early to be definintive that the DS won't surpass the PS2.

However it is possible that it won't, although I believe it will. I think for any debate on VGC this is a good conclusion.

i think Nintendo released a console in China like 10 years ago that was a pad you had to plug in to your TV and it had N64 games on it....i dont know how that did, it would be interesting to know (probably sold badly, ass we havent heard anything about it...)

Michael-5 said:

What about Q1 2013 (April-June 2012), where did you get those figures?

That's the part the number become confuse... Sony merged PS3 and PS2... so they shipped 2.8m.... last year in the same quarter Sony shipped 1.4m PS2 and 1.8m PS3 and Sony said this year the sales of both are down... I don't know if it means units or revenue.

If units then PS3 shipped less than 1.8m putting PS2 over 1.0 million... If revenue then there are no way to split the sales. Looking at VGC shows if PS3 shipped more than 1.8 million then it is way undertracked.

So 1.8 million fits with VGC numbers then PS2 shipped 1m million... @kowen is using 2.0 shipped for PS3 for his tables (800k PS3)... I can agree with 800k PS2 shipped but less than 800k is unrealistic and puts PS3 over 2.1 million in the last quarter almost matching the best Q1 PS3 have in history (the first after Slim launch)  after PS3 not sell like the Slim launch this year... it's down.

DS shipped 540k in the same period and like I said is almost impossible the PS2 shipped less.

DieAppleDie said:
i think Nintendo released a console in China like 10 years ago that was a pad you had to plug in to your TV and it had N64 games on it....i dont know how that did, it would be interesting to know (probably sold badly, ass we havent heard anything about it...)

I can't find sales figures, but I believe the iQue Player sold okay in the first couple of years on the market (2002-2004) when games were being released for it. China is a tough market, especially due to rampant piracy.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

thanx FOX for the info