By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - More info on Last Story-Not developed by Nintendo

trestres said:
Soriku said:
woopah said:

is 2nd party even a proper term? arn't battalion wars, punchout wii, wario land shake it, mario strikers, golden sun eternal darkness all considered first party?

maybe 2nd party is when nintendo dont own the IP, kinda like fatal frame

Yeah it's a proper term. Second party is when it's made by a third party but published by a first. Even games made by Insomniac for Sony are second party.

I don't think that's what second party means.

1st party are all the studios owned by the HW manufacturer.
3rd party are all the studios that are completely unrelated to the HW manufacturer, as in they can publish and develop games for whatever console they want.

2nd party are studios that aren't owned by the HW manufacturer, but that exclusively develop games for 1 HW manufacturer. Example Insomniac for Sony or Camelot/Skip/Genius Sonority for Nintendo.

Nintendo owns a good chunk of Genius Sonority (19.5%) and so does The Pokemon Company (19.5%).

Around the Network

I would say a third party is a separate independent entity, and a second party is a separate but owned or semi-owned entity. Hence a third party game is one made by an independent company, a first party game is made by the console manufacturer, and a second party game is made by a second party company, one that is a separate company but largely owned by the first party.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

jarrod said:
trestres said:
Soriku said:
woopah said:

is 2nd party even a proper term? arn't battalion wars, punchout wii, wario land shake it, mario strikers, golden sun eternal darkness all considered first party?

Yeah it's a proper term. Second party is when it's made by a third party but published by a first. Even games made by Insomniac for Sony are second party.

3rd party are all the studios that are completely unrelated to the HW manufacturer, as in they can publish and develop games for whatever console they want.

2nd party are studios that aren't owned by the HW manufacturer, but that exclusively develop games for 1 HW manufacturer. Example Insomniac for Sony or Camelot/Skip/Genius Sonority for Nintendo.

Nintendo owns a good chunk of Genius Sonority (19.5%) and so does The Pokemon Company (19.5%).

Yet they are not owned completely by Nintendo neither owned as a majority by Nintendo. They are exclusive to Nintendo that's what makes them 2nd party, it's as if they were part of Nintendo since they work exclusively for them, but they are separate companies.

Monolith Soft or Intelligent Systems are 1st party because they are fully owned by Nintendo.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

"Only" 80% of Monolith Soft are owned by Nintendo. 20% remaining is owned by Namco.

That's majority of the company.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Around the Network
trestres said:
jarrod said:
trestres said:
Soriku said:
woopah said:

Yet they are not owned completely by Nintendo neither owned as a majority by Nintendo. They are exclusive to Nintendo that's what makes them 2nd party, it's as if they were part of Nintendo since they work exclusively for them, but they are separate companies.

Monolith Soft or Intelligent Systems are 1st party because they are fully owned by Nintendo.

Sure, but Nintendo holds major investment in the company itself (39%).  I wouldn't say you should really lump them in with contracted 3rd parties like Camelot or Skip (or Insomniac).  If anything, I'd say Monolith and Genius Sonority are more similar...

Apparently this game is co-developed by Nintendo, AQ must be helping out with some assets.

the game is published by nintendo so it is first party. just like punchout and battalion wars

monolith is a first party studio

genius sonority is a third party affiliate

Mistwalker is a third party developer

everyone happy now?

nintendo fanboy, but the good kind

proud soldier of nintopia