By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Quite possibly the worst DRM and most ridiculous idea ever

Ubisoft are geniuses-

We barely need to say anything here (but we will), as where we’re going we don’t need words. We only need righteous fury. PC Gamer have experienced the controversial new Ubisoft DRM first-hand, in the PC build of Assassin’s Creed 2. We already thought the paranoid new copy protection was pretty bad, requiring as it did an online check everytime you played and giving you a hard time if you tried to launch it offline.

What we didn’t think – what we didn’t believe they’d be mad enough to do – was that it’d kick you out of the game if your net connection dropped for any reason.

Or, as PCG’s Tom Francis rightly observes, even if Ubi’s servers happen to have a funny turn. (A troubling precedent for which has already been set by EA – Alec experienced something similar yesterday, when Bioware/EA’s servers suffering extended maintenance meant all his Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 DLC was deemed unauthorised, which in turn prevented him from loading savegames. The point being: don’t punish your customers because you’ve screwed up).

Incredibly, the worst is true in Assassin’s Creed 2 – and, it appears, will be for Settlers 7 too. No matter what you’re doing, no matter what the reason, the game will refuse to let you continue playing if it decides you’re not online. You’re dumped right back to a menu, losing any progress made since the last checkpoint. If you don’t have a constant, uninterrupted internet connection, you can’t play. Let’s list some of the reasons you might drop your net connection, shall we? Router crash, ISP problems, cat playing with the cable, microwave muddling your wi-fi connection, train going into a tunnel when you’re on 3G, Windows having a networking befuddlement, someone else in the house torrenting the bandwidth dry…

Incredible. In-cred-i-ble. It’s like someone taking away your food mid-meal because your napkin’s fallen on the floor. It makes us want to pull an expression we’re not physically capable of, like this.

While we’ve not always gone full-pelt protest against excessive DRM, this is open contempt for paying customers, and, quite frankly, it’s the most valid reason yet for PC gamers to call a massed boycott. We’ll certainly be ignoring it with all the passion we can muster.

So it's released months after the console version, at full price, with no extras and the most retarded 'copy protection' scheme you could ever dream up- do they actually want people to pirate it?

Around the Network

If they see piracy as being that much of a problem and it helps them combat it and in turn achieve higher revenues then I cannot see it as being anything but an overall positive thing for PC gamers that actually pay for the content.

Game industry showing us their true faces. The Assasins Creed team and Ubisoft can go fuck themselves.

I LOVE ICELAND!

WilliamWatts said:
If they see piracy as being that much of a problem and it helps them combat it and in turn achieve higher revenues then I cannot see it as being anything but an overall positive thing for PC gamers that actually pay for the content.

gamers who pay for the content will suffer too

The thing is, that usually the games with the least amount of copy protection are the ones that sell the best.

I LOVE ICELAND!

Screw your paying customers and don't harm pirates in the slightest, jeanious.

Wii/PC/DS Lite/PSP-2000 owner, shameless Nintendo and AMD fanboy.

My comp, as shown to the right (click for fullsize pic)

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.2 GHz
Video Card: XFX 1 GB Radeon HD 5870
Memory: 8 GB A-Data DDR3-1600
Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Primary Storage: OCZ Vertex 120 GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF-932
Extra Storage: WD Caviar Black 640 GB,
WD Caviar Black 750 GB, WD Caviar Black 1 TB
Display: Triple ASUS 25.5" 1920x1200 monitors
Sound: HT Omega Striker 7.1 sound card,
Logitech X-540 5.1 speakers
Input: Logitech G5 mouse,
Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000 keyboard
Wii Friend Code: 2772 8804 2626 5138 Steam: jefforange89
Around the Network
KungKras said:
WilliamWatts said:

The thing is, that usually the games with the least amount of copy protection are the ones that sell the best.

Starcraft, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft all have near perfect DRM for online and yet they sell fantastically. The Ubisoft system is pretty similar to that.

Yeah, that's totally how you attract more paying customers. Not.

Hopefully there will be a Steam version with that stuff removed.

PSN: HobsonA

XBL: HobsonA

WilliamWatts said:

Pity that only ones suffering will be customers who were fooled into buying it.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

WilliamWatts said:
KungKras said:
WilliamWatts said:

Starcraft, Warcraft 3, World of Warcraft all have near perfect DRM for online and yet they sell fantastically. The Ubisoft system is pretty similar to that.

Assassin's Creed 2 is not an online game.

Starcraft or Warcraft 3 don't stop you from playing the game (single player or LAN) if you lack an internet connection.

Honestly, all it does is promote piracy. It adds nothing to the paying customer's experience, it only screws them over, while pirates will have the real game.