By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Exclusive titles on the way out Sony claims

disolitude said:
libellule said:
disolitude said:

Its funny to read this...especially after Metro 2033(THQ), Splinter Cell Conviction(Ubisoft) and Mass Effect 2(EA) are coming out for the 360 with no PS3 versions in sight.

Not to mention the exclusive content for lost planet 2, dead rising 2 and sonic All star racing that is going to the 360.

We will see for how long Metro, ME and Splinter Cell will stay console exclusive

Thats been the PS3 owners chant since day 1 for every 360 3rd party exclusive. "It is getting ported over"

Some get ported (a year + later), and some dont. 

Besides, his statement wasn't "We will evntually get those 3rd party exclusives" ...but he is saying they won't exist in the future, which makes him sound completely off the wall.

not if he is talking about games currently in developpement
we both know a game take time to be made and game that will be released this year were started years ago

by the way, MGS4 is still not on 360

And I still consider ME will come to PS3 (I doubt for Metro and SC)

Whatever, It is pretty obvious that the situation about multiplateform title can only improve for the PS3 ...

Time to Work !

Around the Network
disolitude said:
makingmusic476 said:
disolitude said:

Its funny to read this...especially after Metro 2033(THQ), Splinter Cell Conviction(Ubisoft) and Mass Effect 2(EA) are coming out for the 360 with no PS3 versions in sight.

Not to mention the exclusive content for lost planet 2, dead rising 2 and sonic All star racing that is going to the 360.

MS paid for Splinter Cell like four years ago, back when the situation was entirely different.

Had they decided to make Splinter Cell today, it'd be a lot harder for MS to bargain for an exclusivity deal.  Which is the point Dyer's trying to make.  Hence why Bioshock, Lost Planet, and others were all timed exclusive (initially thought to be 100% exclusive), but their sequels are not.

As for Mass Effect 2, nobody really knows what's going on behind the scenes there, and Metro 2033 is just another quick PC > 360 port by a struggling, no-name developer.

Its nice of you to pick the exclusives that got ported...I joined this site over 2 years ago and back then it was "Air Combat 6, Dead Rising, Lost planet and Bioshock are all times exclusives". 2 out of 4 made it over to PS3...over a year later...moral victory possibly?

I am not saying some ports won't come. But I don't know if playing a game a year later is something I would brag about if I was sony executive.

As long as MS has better dev tools, cash to spend and are helping devs get their product on the platform, they will get 3rd party exclusives. Even if they are temporary...

Also, Metro 2033 comment is completely uneducated...the developper is new...not "struggling" and consists of members that did the STALKER games. It will easily do 75% on metacritic...

Yeah, Dead Rising wasn't ported.  It was released before the ps3 was even out, and was more likely a de facto exclusive rather than a paid exclusive due to the 360 being the only platform available at the time.  And once again, the sequel is multiplat, which is the central point of the issue.  It was very easy for Microsoft to wrap up third party exclusives back in 05/06/07, but these days it is much harder, which is why a majority of their former exclusive franchises are now multiplat. 

At the start of this gen, Microsoft was offering both time and money to developers to help transition to next generation architecture in exchange for 6-12 months exclusivity.  Considering that the 360 was really the only viable console to sell games on at the time anyway, this was looked upon as a great deal by everybody, even Japanese companies like Namco (Tales of Vesperia).  Now that developers by and large have a handle on both systems and the ps3 is selling games almost as well as the 360 (better, in some cases), it's much harder for Microsoft to land any such deals, as developers have a lot more to lose by not supporting both consoles at this stage.

As for Metro 2033, the game was announced in 2006.  It went MIA for over three years, and when it finally resurfaced, it even switched platforms.  Sounds like a struggling developer to me.  Yes, they have ties to GSC Game World, but the founders were merely a pair of programmers from Game World who left the team over a year before the original Stalker was released.  They had a heavy hand in Stalker's graphics engine, but given that Stalker was initially an unoptimized mess, that's not saying much.

Metro 2033 does look quite nice, and I wouldn't be surprised to see such a small developer strike gold, but their size/funding probably limits the amount of platforms they can work on at once.  It's similar to why there are so many niche Japanes games that end up exclusive (Disgaea 3 on ps3, the Cave SHMUPs on 360, Marvelous titles on Wii, etc.).  They simply don't have the money to go bigger.

A_Familiar_Stranger said:
makingmusic476 said:
A_Familiar_Stranger said:

I have never heard this. Do you have a link tha proves this? 

Simple logic.  The franchise has already appeared on ps3 in the form of Double Agent, yet the next installment suddenly goes exclusive?  In an age where everything is multiplat?  Yeah, there was money involved.

But if you must have a link, how about one from Joystiq:

When asked if the ambitious Xbox 360 and PC stealth title was exclusive in the really real sense, producer Alex Parizeau simply stated, "It's exclusive," and admitted that it was a business arrangement with Microsoft.

Simple logic would dictate that it would be a timed exclusive like many of the Splinter Cells.

And your link says nothing about it being paid for four years ago as an exclusive. Just that there are "business arrangements" 

Microsoft probably worked out deals for the Xbox Splinter Cells as well.  I doubt any developers were making Xbox exclusives just for the hell of it.

Also, Conviction was announced four years ago.  I'd assume they worked out any such "business arrangements" before annoucing the platforms for the title.

Edit:

My mistake.  It was announced three years ago, in early 2007.

dli2k3 said:
themanwithnoname said:
So EA just gave the PS3 the collector's edition of Dante's Inferno out of the kindness of their heart? Yeah I'm sure...

Again, this guy shot his credibility when he said the PS3 was going to pass the 360 in the US.

Well they could do it pretty easily with all the extra space available on blu-ray. On 360, they might've needed an extra disc which meant more royalty to pay.

They didn't seem to mind that for the 3 disc Mass Effect 2 collector's edition.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

libellule said:
disolitude said:
libellule said:
disolitude said:

We will see for how long Metro, ME and Splinter Cell will stay console exclusive

Thats been the PS3 owners chant since day 1 for every 360 3rd party exclusive. "It is getting ported over"

Besides, his statement wasn't "We will evntually get those 3rd party exclusives" ...but he is saying they won't exist in the future, which makes him sound completely off the wall.

we both know a game take time to be made and game that will be released this year were started years ago

Whatever, It is pretty obvious that the situation about multiplateform title can only improve for the PS3 ...

I'm not trying to take anything away form PS3...I'm just saying that the comments Sony executive made are wrong. 360 will continue to recieve more console exclusives from 3rd party devs compared to PS3.

His major fail is that he doesn't talk about the fact that PC and 360 game development is very similar. 360 has been able to reap the benefits of a more complete library of games just because of that fact.

Frontlines:Fuel of war, Race Pro, FEAR Files, Raiden IV, Battlestation:Midway, Universe at War... all games I played within the last year or so and enjoyed. And they are all console 3rd party exclusives for the 360. And there is a shitload more like Velvet Assasin and Ace Combat 6 which I didn't play yet. And I see this trend continuing...

Around the Network

I suspect that divergent interfaces like Natal, Arc etc would mean more platform exclusives rather than fewer as developers try to be first to take advantage of them on the core console platforms.

If Arc > Natal then the PS3 will get more platform exclusives.

If Natal > Arc then the Xbox 360 will get more platform exclusives.

As of right now I hear they have 16-18 titles coming for Natal and are spending up large once again. So the exclusive 3rd party titles are probably back on the way in for the Xbox 360 at least.

disolitude said:
libellule said:
disolitude said:

Misrepresenting there much?

This is what the Rob Dyer actuallly said: "the Mass Effects, Gears of Wars and Left 4 Deads aren't going to happen nearly as often"

See that phrase? It means he thinks the number of 3rd party exclusives will reduce over time. He never said anything remotely close to "won't exist in future".

It's one thing to catch industry people making ridiculous statements, it's another thing entirely to put made up ridiculous statements in their mouths so you can then suggest their sanity is in question.

Seems to me Dyer is right that, especially new 3rd party IP, will more and more be multiplatform as the install bases of the different consoles become more even. Wii is the absolute market leader, but it's still no where near as dominant in market share as PS2. So this generation has a far more even spread than last generation. So it makes sense that 3rd parties are more into multi-plat releases than console exclusive than they were in the past.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

binary solo said:

Misrepresenting there much?

This is what the Rob Dyer actuallly said: "the Mass Effects, Gears of Wars and Left 4 Deads aren't going to happen nearly as often"

See that phrase? It means he thinks the number of 3rd party exclusives will reduce over time. He never said anything remotely close to "won't exist in future".

It's one thing to catch industry people making ridiculous statements, it's another thing entirely to put made up ridiculous statements in their mouths so you can then suggest their sanity is in question.

Seems to me Dyer is right that, especially new 3rd party IP, will more and more be multiplatform as the install bases of the different consoles become more even. Wii is the absolute market leader, but it's still no where near as dominant in market share as PS2. So this generation has a far more even spread than last generation. So it makes sense that 3rd parties are more into multi-plat releases than console exclusive than they were in the past.

For conventional games, yes. However the Arcade titles and titles which are based off the new interfaces would likely have greater platform exclusivity so its working both ways.

disolitude said:
libellule said:
disolitude said:
libellule said:
disolitude said:

I'm not trying to take anything away form PS3...I'm just saying that the comments Sony executive made are wrong. 360 will continue to recieve more console exclusives from 3rd party devs compared to PS3.

His major fail is that he doesn't talk about the fact that PC and 360 game development is very similar. 360 has been able to reap the benefits of a more complete library of games just because of that fact.

Frontlines:Fuel of war, Race Pro, FEAR Files, Raiden IV, Battlestation:Midway, Universe at War... all games I played within the last year or so and enjoyed. And they are all console 3rd party exclusives for the 360. And there is a shitload more like Velvet Assasin and Ace Combat 6 which I didn't play yet. And I see this trend continuing...

to me Velvet Assassin is PS3-360

and you seem quite alone to defend your point on this one considering the overall comments in this thread so far,

IMO the main point are the following :

- the situation is quite different from what it was years ago and starting a game exclusively for 1 plateform seems very dangerous for any developpers (see makingmusic comment)

- PS3 is not anymore a "new" plateform that is hard to developpe for. It is becoming more and more accessible for all developperS.

- the situation is progressively becoming "no exclusive third party game" as is saying the Sony PR

Time to Work !

I agree that the PS3 is the best system, and developers can take advantage of many different elements with the cell, and blu-ray, but you still need great exclusives.