By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SMG officially enters Gameranking's best reviewed games of all time w/ 97.5

This was a triumph!
I'm making a note here:
"HUGE SUCCESS!!"

It's hard to overstate
my satisfaction.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
I could name a dozen of games which are better than OoT, but I am already known as Mario Kart 64 and Smash Bros. games hater on this forum. I want to survive until tomorrow, when I'll finally get my copy of Galaxy.

You could very well be lynched if this information spreads... you better be quiet now (And me too, since I agree about OoT and Smash Brothers)

On another note, why do you have to wait til tomorrow? Didn't you preorder online?

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Picked it up last night and loved it, but I don't know about this better than OoT business :D Also working on completing Zack and Wiki, what a fun game!

Currently Playing:  Saints Row 2 | Battlefield 2 | Company of Heroes

Recently Beaten: Gears of War | Super Mario Galaxy | Darwinia | MGS4 | Sam and Max Ep. 4, Portal | Mirror's Edge | Uncharted | Mass Effect

Looking Forward to: Alan Wake | Splinter Cell : Conviction | The Last Guardian | Batman: Arkham Asylum | SMG2 | Mass Effect 2 |

About time. That #2 spot is now secure - and it has a real shot at #1. Probably only needs one more 98..100 score to make it.

So can't wait for this game!

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

GX was a slight disappointment for me too; still a good game but nowhere near to the greatness of X.

Anyways, I'm off playing Galaxy now

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

Around the Network

Portal Quotes, how I love them, ready for any occasion.

The reviews are so good I *might* even get Galaxy, the problem is that EVERY review assumes you have played a Mario game, they talk alot about the nostalgia element of the SMG, I can't help thinking that as I've never played a mario game ( and I haven't played any platformer in years as I'm a PC gamer) alot of it will be lost on me.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Vengi said:
Portal Quotes, how I love them, ready for any occasion.

The reviews are so good I *might* even get Galaxy, the problem is that EVERY review assumes you have played a Mario game, they talk alot about the nostalgia element of the SMG, I can't help thinking that as I've never played a mario game ( and I haven't played any platformer in years as I'm a PC gamer) alot of it will be lost on me.

You should definitely at least get mario 64 on the VC.  Its relatively cheap and will be well worth it.

DMeisterJ said:
I don't mean to rain on parades, but you know that the odd reviewer out there is gonna give it a seven or a six just to make sure it doesn't beat Ocarina of Time. It's only been out a few days, in a month it's going to fall. Like BioShock did. Not to be mean or anything but some reviewers like to crap on people for fun.

This is definitely possible but it would have to be one of the reviewers that is recognized by GR as a reviewer worth counting. But more than that they can't just give it a 6 or a 7. I really think the lowest score you could possibly give SMG without completely ruining your credability is an 8.5.

For instance, in statistics +/- 3 standard deviations is a standard used to discover statisitical outliers.

Z-Scores Scores
0.93 100
0.93 100
0.93 100
0.93 100
0.93 100
0.93 100
0.93 100
0.93 100
0.93 100
0.56 99
0.56 99
0.18 98
0.18 98
-0.01 97.5
-0.2 97
-0.2 97
-0.95 95
-0.95 95
-0.95 95
-0.95 95
-0.95 95
-0.95 95
-0.95 95
-2.84 90
Sum 2340.5
Average 97.52
Variance 7.03
St Deviation 2.65

As you can see the 90 the game has already gotten is nearly considered a statistal outlier. Granted this doesn't mean that any score below this will be ignored by GR or MC, but it does mean that scores like 90 & 85 have to be justified very well or sites will find their strategy of tossing in a bad review to stir up traffic has backfired as nobody can possibly take them serious anymore. In the case of this first 90 I believe the reviewer justified it by using a 1 point scale...a stupid scale imo, but their methods are their methods. Changing tha one score to a 95 would change the average to a 97.73 from a 97.52, a decent increase and one that would give it the lead...but clearly we can't and shouldn't just change scores so I am not taking issue there.

PS - If you were curious adding an 85 to the list would make the 85's z-score -3.33 and do this...

Sum 2425.5
Average 97.02
Variance 13.01
St Deviation 3.61

To Each Man, Responsibility

yeah well it cheated, finally offering the fire flower in a 3d game just skewed everyone's viewpoint
combining an incredible that would be the best game ever on it's own merit with an item of unpresidented nostalgic value, just unfair to every game in existence
seriously that's just a new low from nintendo, they expect us to keep buying their games when all they have to offer is original experiences with top notch production values and incredible enjoyability

I HAVE A DOUBLE DRAGON CAB IN MY KITCHEN!!!!!!

NOW A PUNISHER CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@Sqrl

Outliers, deviations, and statistics in general have no place on a video game forum. 

Stop teaching people things!