By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - SMG officially enters Gameranking's best reviewed games of all time w/ 97.5

RolStoppable said:
nintendo_fanboy said:
RolStoppable said:
I could name a dozen of games which are better than OoT, but I am already known as Mario Kart 64 and Smash Bros. games hater on this forum. I want to survive until tomorrow, when I'll finally get my copy of Galaxy.

You could very well be lynched if this information spreads... you better be quiet now (And me too, since I agree about OoT and Smash Brothers)

On another note, why do you have to wait til tomorrow? Didn't you preorder online?

Lucky me that nobody knows of screennames I previously used like GXhater. This F-Zero game was a disappointment for time attack. The genius I am, I changed that name shortly after to GXboxhater.

I have to wait another day, because the online shop didn't get in their copies yesterday. They received SMG this morning, so I'll have the game tomorrow.

You hated the box for GX? 

Around the Network

To anyone that says Galaxy will go down like Bioshock did:

By the time Bioshock had 20 reviews, it was already down. Galaxy, different to almost all other games in the last few years, is going UP with more reviews, not DOWN.

Only Nintendo can make a better game than Nintendo. Also, is good to note that 6 out of the top 10 games on GR are for Nintendo consoles.

Now, let's take care of Tekken 3. We'll let Brawl handle that one ;>

@Sqrl. Very good statistical analysis. And yes, any reviewer that scores below 90 must justify that opinion very well.

By the way, another 100%.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/11/post.html

Wii code: 4679-4491-5808-6319,MKWii: 4296-3394-2843; Animal Crossing Wii: 3008-1736-4670.

Galaxy is different for a very big reason from Bioshock. Galaxy basically spent a year of its development phase in "video game polish/finishing school". There were some areas of bioshock that hurt it in that regard but SMG is spit shined to a blinding glare in almost every regard...I cannot think of an instance where I thought..hmm that looks like it could have been a glitch. But I can think of a few from Bioshock...to be fair Bioshock is still a great game but it could have been better with more polish added on.

To Each Man, Responsibility

I have some complaints about Mario Galaxy, but they're pretty lame, puny complaints.

On the whole I think it deserves this spot.

Around the Network

Glad to see it. This is a true must-buy game.

Besides Bioshock honestly did have some serious gameplay flaws. Don't get me wrong I've played it and I find it an amazing game, however, the whole repsawn no penalty vita-chamber thing really pissed me off and rightfully that game deserved to be knocked off the top ten if only for that reason.

Galaxy hasn't had any serious complaints in any of the reviews I've seen so far. I think the worst thing I saw was that new guy from Game Informer complaining about how you loose all your extra lives when you restart the Wii. Anyone who has ever played a Mario game knows that every stellar Mario has had this flaw (which really isn't a flaw considereing how damn easy it is to get 1-ups in a Mario game). In fact had Nintendo let you keep your lives, more reviewers would be complaining how easy the game was because you basically had infinate lives after so many hours of play.

Mario is also a reknowned IP and not a new one like Bioshock. Mario has proabably been around longer than maost of the Bioshock staff have been alive. That gives it instant recognition as a top-notch game which somewhat biases reviewers right from the get-go, especially if they have played previous entries and get the "nostalgia effect" which ads to the value and quality of the game in much the same way that Rolstoppable's TV Show analogy claimed. Bioshock had no Nostalgia to fall back on.

This is probably the biggest reason Galaxy will stay in the #2 spot, Mario is an excellent game in a genre that has been devoid of any AAA titles. (R&C is more of a shooter than a platformer) There is a serious Glut of FPS in the market right now and to even get in the top 20 of that genre means that you "have" to have a great game. The problem with this glut is that the following moth/week/day another FPS will come out that might have more content better multiplayer, story, or weapoins and that will effect the reviews that didn't make it in early, because reviewers might have played one of the newer games and deemed the older one inferior.

Bioshock's biggest problem w3asn't the vita-chamber (although that didn't help) it was all the "better" FPS that came out less than two months later (the Orange Box, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4). when you have to compete in a genre full of the some of the best games out there, your score suffers, and so does you competitors. That's probably why The Orange Box went from #2 to #5 recently because Call of duty 4 came out and now it has a lot to live up to.

Name one platformer comming out in the next 4 moths that has a chance of coming any where near Galaxies bar.

Sqrl said:
DMeisterJ said:
I don't mean to rain on parades, but you know that the odd reviewer out there is gonna give it a seven or a six just to make sure it doesn't beat Ocarina of Time. It's only been out a few days, in a month it's going to fall. Like BioShock did. Not to be mean or anything but some reviewers like to crap on people for fun.

This is definitely possible but it would have to be one of the reviewers that is recognized by GR as a reviewer worth counting. But more than that they can't just give it a 6 or a 7. I really think the lowest score you could possibly give SMG without completely ruining your credability is an 8.5.

For instance, in statistics +/- 3 standard deviations is a standard used to discover statisitical outliers.

Z-ScoresScores
Sum2340.5
Average97.52
Variance7.03
St Deviation2.65

As you can see the 90 the game has already gotten is nearly considered a statistal outlier. Granted this doesn't mean that any score below this will be ignored by GR or MC, but it does mean that scores like 90 & 85 have to be justified very well or sites will find their strategy of tossing in a bad review to stir up traffic has backfired as nobody can possibly take them serious anymore. In the case of this first 90 I believe the reviewer justified it by using a 1 point scale...a stupid scale imo, but their methods are their methods. Changing tha one score to a 95 would change the average to a 97.73 from a 97.52, a decent increase and one that would give it the lead...but clearly we can't and shouldn't just change scores so I am not taking issue there.

PS - If you were curious adding an 85 to the list would make the 85's z-score -3.33 and do this...

Sum2425.5
Average97.02
Variance13.01
St Deviation3.61

great statistics

also why isnt gamesradar,s review in either gamerankings or metacritic it gave it a 10

johnlucas said:

I'm gonna go ahead and say it.

Super Mario Galaxy is BETTER than The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

That's right. You heard it. BETTER.

BETT-ERRR.

BETTA!

Not just BET but BETTER.

Not just GOOD but GOODER.

BETTER. GOODER. MORE GOOD. And MORE BET.

Now.

John Lucas

Yes,you're right!

Its the best game ever...Mario Galaxy IS  the best game ever.

And im gonna play all the week...lol,im so happy!

Wii ware-Fatal Frame 4-Street Fighter 4-Sonic Unleashed-guitare hero 3-Disaster-wii fit-mario kart-Sadness-Games who actually use Wii Board...i dont know but,...it seem big enough for me.By the way,im a proud owner of P.E.S 2008  Wii and it kill all the other soccer game.

My Wii code:3553-1619-3236-0339

my Brawl Code:0860-2912-9428