By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you believe PC Gaming is dying?

Do you believe PC Gaming is dying?

Yes 136 41.21%

No 169 51.21%

Unsure / Can't decide 25 7.58%

Total:330

@ brazylianwisnia

Agreed, the most beautiful games are nowadays on the PS3 and I think this trend is likely to continue for quite some time due to the many first party exclusives.

I know of a vivid PC gamer, who was hyping how his PC could do a game in 100+ FPS and how he could not live without that. I locked to FPS to much lower than that once and he didn't notice. He also had a very little monitor compared to my much bigger 1080p HDTV and was listening to (fake, not really surround) 5.1 speakerset (more like a 2.1 speakerset divided over 5 speakers + subwoofer).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ brazylianwisnia

Agreed, the most beautiful games are nowadays on the PS3 and I think this trend is likely to continue for quite some time due to the many first party exclusives.

I know of a vivid PC gamer, who was hyping how his PC could do a game in 100+ FPS and how he could not live without that. I locked to FPS to much lower than that once and he didn't notice. He also had a very little monitor compared to my much bigger 1080p HDTV and was listening to (fake, not really surround) 5.1 speakerset (more like a 2.1 speakerset divided over 5 speakers + subwoofer).

The same goes to resolution.who cares that PC can display much higher resolutions than 1080p if you need at least 40" LCD to see difference bettwen 720p and 1080p.so for higher resolutions you would have to have 60"+ LCD to see the difference.For me no amplituner no 5.1

In the end everything is about games and as i said last year PC totally lost it with none game able to compare to consoles biggest exclusives.

MikeB said:
@ brazylianwisnia

Why do console gamers always mention this? It is not like having the option of connecting to your A/V receiver/big screen tv/home theater system is exclusive to consoles. I have my PC connected to my A/V receiver, just like my consoles are; and yes, on the 106" screen I play on, there is a big difference between games running at real 1080p on my PC and console games running at 720p. 

brazylianwisnia said:

@shio

If PC have that much AAA exclusives than name at least 10 of them from 2009....i'm thinking only about The Sims 3...but wait it's coming to consoles too.what a shame...please name it because i can't find none http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=pc&cat=0&year=2009&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search=

1. The Sims 3
  2. Empire: Total War
  3. Dawn of War 2
  4. Football Manager 2010
  5. Football Manager Live
  6. Dawn of Discovery

I think I'm missing some, but these are atleast more than any console.

meehan666 said:
MikeB said:
@ brazylianwisnia

Why do console gamers always mention this? It is not like having the option of connecting to your A/V receiver/big screen tv/home theater system is exclusive to consoles. I have my PC connected to my A/V receiver, just like my consoles are; and yes, on the 106" screen I play on, there is a big difference between games running at real 1080p on my PC and console games running at 720p. 

I was referring to a specific person.

Although I think most PC gamers still play their games on a monitor. IMO big gaming PCs aren't as suitable for the living room, many PC gamers want to use a mouse and for this a desk seems more suitable as well. I keep my PC in a seperate room and not in the living room (17 inch monitor and stuck with 2.0 audio because this best suits my desk), I rarely use it for gaming or watching movies nowadays.

My biggest concern was lacking mouse control with consoles. With regard to FPS games I am pleasantly suprised how fast I got used to modern gamepads, actually I now prefer this control method for first person shooters. I dislike the constant unrealistic hopping going on in many or most online PC shooters and I got used to vibration feedback while shooting guns.

I grew up with mouse gaming as a kid, I loved being able to play the original Lemmings with two mice multi-player on the Amiga, sadly such a thing was never possible on the PC. Puzzle games and realtime strategy games (like the origal Settlers or Populous 2 games on the Amiga) are IMO still by far best suited for mouse control. I think it's sad game developers still don't seem to include this option on the PS3, it should be a really simple thing to include...

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
@ shio

I'm not sure how much that clouds that percentage. I think nearly all smartphone games are not bought at retail (at least I don't know where to get them or than download them).

In any case of the games which are not distributed online and can only be bought at retail console sales seem to dwarf PC game sales worldwide.

I think gaming is moving more and more towards consoles, they provide a far cleaner and more compelling end user experience in most cases. With cheap HDTVs and surround audio setups well supported by consoles IMO there is far less a reason to own a gaming PC than last gen (I was a PC gamer).

Dude, there are more PC games being developed than console games. This is a fact. PC has so many games, and hundreds of them are F2P, so they don't even are sold on Retail or DD.

By now PC games are probably sold significantly more online than on retail. Steam alone increased over 205% in unit sales last year, and that's the biggest DD service.

PC gaming isn't dying. There was just a paradigm shift as to where priorities lie in regards to design for some pc centric genres. They still get most of the big budget games except for first party ones. PC gaming growth is definitely in the casual/social gaming scene though.

shio said:
brazylianwisnia said:

@shio

If PC have that much AAA exclusives than name at least 10 of them from 2009....i'm thinking only about The Sims 3...but wait it's coming to consoles too.what a shame...please name it because i can't find none http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=pc&cat=0&year=2009&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search=

1. The Sims 3
  3. Dawn of War 2
  4. Football Manager 2010
  5. Football Manager Live
  6. Dawn of Discovery

These are AAA titles to you??You said that PC recieves more exclusives than ALL CONSOLES COMBINED and games you choose an't stand even ps3 2009 exclusives alone

PS3 http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=ps3&cat=0&year=2009&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search=

1.Uncharted 2

2.Killzone 2

3.Wipeout HD Fury

4.InFamous

5.Demon's Souls

6.Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

X360

1.Forza Motorsport 3

2.Halo 3:ODST

These are true AAA titles.High budget,great graphics,strong sales and great reviews.Let's be honest.None of these PC games can came close to each of this games.

brazylianwisnia said:
shio said:
brazylianwisnia said:

@shio

1. The Sims 3
  3. Dawn of War 2
  4. Football Manager 2010
  5. Football Manager Live
  6. Dawn of Discovery

These are AAA titles to you??You said that PC recieves more exclusives than ALL CONSOLES COMBINED and games you choose an't stand even ps3 2009 exclusives alone

PS3 http://www.gamerankings.com/browse.html?site=ps3&cat=0&year=2009&numrev=0&sort=0&letter=&search=

1.Uncharted 2

2.Killzone 2

3.Wipeout HD Fury

4.InFamous

5.Demon's Souls

6.Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time

X360

1.Forza Motorsport 3

2.Halo 3:ODST

These are true AAA titles.High budget,great graphics,strong sales and great reviews.Let's be honest.None of these PC games can came close to each of this games.

Huh?! All the AAA PC games I mentioned are of high quality and have big budgets. And lol at Wipeout HD, that's nowhere near an AAA exclusive. This just proves that PC has more AAA exclusives than any console, which was my point.

And yes, PC easily has more exclusives than all consoles combined. That is not even arguable. I even played your little "AAA game", which is a silly game since a game can be amazing without having a big budget.

You really need to get your head straight on these stuff.

MikeB said:

It depends how you would define dying. If you mean that PC gaming has lost a lot of its importance over the year then yes of course, these aren't the PC gaming heydays of Doom and Quake. Last gen the PC gaming market significantly declined, this gen PC gamers don't even get to enjoy Microsoft sequals to PC games like Fable, Gears of War or even Halo. Or recently Alan Wake another such a game which was originally planned for the PC and published by Microsoft. Then you have plenty of other Microsoft games series like Forza, Kameo, PGR, etc which aren't released for the platform.

Many 3rd parties are also delaying their high profile games like for instance the Grand Theft Auto series. Even Crytek is focussing on consoles nowadays, etc.

However PC gaming will not completely die in the foreseable future, even Amiga gaming never died out completely, for instance there are still Amiga 'Game of the Year' awards each and every year.

I'd have to disagree. The best selling platform for Left4Dead 2 and Dragon Age: Origins is still the PC. And they still had console crap thrown in them (very dumbed down, shitty UIs, etc.).

Also I don't know why, but shio didn't add WoW (and expansions of course, those expansions contain more content than 4 console games combined) to his list of AAA exclusives, or Civilizatoin 4, and a bunch of other games. Also keep in mind PCs play even older games so the library of exclusive AAA dwarfs any single console. Furthermore, PC scores aren't skewed where extremely shitty games get over a 9, which happens almost exclusively on consoles.

As for the price. I am sorry but I can't help laughing. Do you realize that EVERYONE needs a computer? The cost of a gaming computer isn't the cost of a gaming computer. To build a bsic, non-gaming PC, you need like $250 bucks. You NEED it. Period. Now to make it game capable you need to spend another $150 bucks. So no, gaming doesn't cost you $500, it costs you $150. Much cheaper than ANY console.

Another thing is profitability. EVERY company that is making games for consoles is doing bad economically. The only reason Activision didn't post massive losses last quarter (when MW2 sold billions, couldn't have been better than that) is because of Blizzard, and exclusively PC comapny. I am wondering when companies will realize they can make a lot more money on the PC and keep themselves afloat than on the consoles.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835