By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - How do you want to die?

How do you want to die?

Slow/Peacefully 10 29.41%

While doing something worthwhile 17 50.00%

Other 7 20.59%

Total:34
SciFiBoy said:
Complications said:
SciFiBoy said:
zexen_lowe said:
jesus kung fu magic said:

Zexen you touched a touchy subject and you should know better than to do that......me,and apparently room414 ,believe that there is something beyond the grave......do you see the key word? Believe......just in the same sense that you believe there is nothing beyond the grave.

We all dont know what happens after we die......but yoour beliefs arent facts and to state them as such is just asking for trouble.

I didn't ask for anything. It's him that can't tolerate my statement. Someone said something I may not necessarily agree with, but I never felt the need to quote him and cause a stir. Why would I? Just because I don't agree we'd be judged after life doesn't mean I need to quote him, disagree and cause controversy. Obviously, he needed to

room414 said:

is that all we are? just a bag of bones? there's nothing more to us?

I think we're just a bag of cells more than just a bag of bones, but that's my opinion

opinion?

I thought we could prove that we are made of cells?

(there is scientific evidence I mean?)

You can't prove we are JUST made of cells and that there is NOTHING MORE to us

what can a human being do that cannot be explained by our cells allowing us to do such things?

Think and act consciously, speak, use mathematics, etc.

And believe in religion.

Animals can't do any of these things, except perhaps the first. While this isn't definite proof for the existence of a "soul", it does show that we don't "know" very much at all regarding what makes up the human mind, and how it came to be created.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
SciFiBoy said:
Complications said:
SciFiBoy said:
Complications said:
SciFiBoy said:
Complications said:
SciFiBoy said:

opinion?

what can a human being do that cannot be explained by our cells allowing us to do such things?

Typical, extremely logical and extremely educated BS response that you'l find on these forums. You know fine rightly what I'm on about, your just trying to be inteligent

as opposed to illogical, uneducated and unintelligent? (im just reversing your words...)

youre trying to argue that there is some part of a human that exists beyond the cellular?

my question is simple, how and why?

Ok. The question is really about whether there is more to humans that just their biological structure. It all comes down to whether someone believes in spirtual stuff or not. For example, if someone says they have been possessed by a demon, or have contacted God then although their biological cells have been used through these processes, it's still 'more' than what is considered to be human. Some people believe that there are other parts of a human being that can exist even after a human's cells have died (the Soul etc). 

I would define those things as "delusions" or "hullicinations", which are biological unless im mistaken.

1) how are they not biological?
2) why would I believe in something that is unscientific?

1) They are connections between neurons in the brain, so of course they're biological. But can we say for sure that they are purely biological? What causes those specific neuron connections which lead to a specific dream?

2) Because the scientific knowledge of humanity has enormous holes in it, and thus something which is unproven isn't necessarily "unscientific". How can a group of people on a rock orbiting a smallish star in one of several billion galaxies that make up our universe possibly know everything there is to know about any aspect of science? Indeed, for all we know, the entire Big Bang Theory could be completely false, but let's not go there. The point is that, until there is concrete evidence that consciousness ceases after death of the body, nobody can say that they "know" anything about "afterlife", or lack of it.

Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:
Complications said:
SciFiBoy said:
zexen_lowe said:
jesus kung fu magic said:

Zexen you touched a touchy subject and you should know better than to do that......me,and apparently room414 ,believe that there is something beyond the grave......do you see the key word? Believe......just in the same sense that you believe there is nothing beyond the grave.

We all dont know what happens after we die......but yoour beliefs arent facts and to state them as such is just asking for trouble.

I didn't ask for anything. It's him that can't tolerate my statement. Someone said something I may not necessarily agree with, but I never felt the need to quote him and cause a stir. Why would I? Just because I don't agree we'd be judged after life doesn't mean I need to quote him, disagree and cause controversy. Obviously, he needed to

room414 said:

is that all we are? just a bag of bones? there's nothing more to us?

I think we're just a bag of cells more than just a bag of bones, but that's my opinion

opinion?

And believe in religion.

Animals can't do any of these things, except perhaps the first. While this isn't definite proof for the existence of a "soul", it does show that we don't "know" very much at all regarding what makes up the human mind, and how it came to be created.

dont we have scientific theories for the first though? (I thought they were part of how our brains work?)

also, we ARE animals

SciFiBoy said:
Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:

And believe in religion.

dont we have scientific theories for the first though? (I thought they were part of how our brains work?)

also, we ARE animals

Yes, we're animals, but we are clearly vastly superior to any other animal species in the world.

To such an extent that we worry about them. Do you see rabbits worrying about the financial crisis, or deer worrying about swine flu, or sharks worrying about global warming?

Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:

I would define those things as "delusions" or "hullicinations", which are biological unless im mistaken.

1) They are connections between neurons in the brain, so of course they're biological. But can we say for sure that they are purely biological? What causes those specific neuron connections which lead to a specific dream?

2) Because the scientific knowledge of humanity has enormous holes in it, and thus something which is unproven isn't necessarily "unscientific". How can a group of people on a rock orbiting a smallish star in one of several billion galaxies that make up our universe possibly know everything there is to know about any aspect of science? Indeed, for all we know, the entire Big Bang Theory could be completely false, but let's not go there. The point is that, until there is concrete evidence that consciousness ceases after death of the body, nobody can say that they "know" anything about "afterlife", or lack of it.

1) how can they not be biological though? surely the why would be biological also?

2) I know that, but dont we have theories for thoose things? which are themselves based on evidence?

Around the Network
Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:
Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:

And believe in religion.

also, we ARE animals

Yes, we're animals, but we are clearly vastly superior to any other animal species in the world.

To such an extent that we worry about them. Do you see rabbits worrying about the financial crisis, or deer worrying about swine flu, or sharks worrying about global warming?

sure, but that doesnt mean that animals dont think or communicate, in fact it seems likely to me that they do.

I would like to say die trying to save someone, but if I do that then the person I am trying to save will also die :-/
I can't join the army, so that is a no as well
So I guess in my sleep...

SciFiBoy said:
Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:

1) how can they not be biological though? surely the why would be biological also?

2) I know that, but dont we have theories for thoose things? which are themselves based on evidence?

1) That's where we go into unchartered territory. Because we genuinely have no idea. All we can do is speculate.

2) Yes, we have theories based on evidence. Those theories could be completely wrong, especially those that involve the greater universe. How do we know that gravity and electromagnetism don't work differently, 30 billion light years from here? And I would think that those theories are almost certainly correct. They are based on solid evidence, and have no real contradictions. My point is that you can't dismiss something as "unscientific" when modern science knows very little about the matter. Human psychology and the make-up of the brain is an area which science has only really scratched the surface of.

SciFiBoy said:
Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:
Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:

And believe in religion.

also, we ARE animals

sure, but that doesnt mean that animals dont think or communicate, in fact it seems likely to me that they do.

They certainly think and communicate, but not to such a degree as humans.

Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:
Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:
Kantor said:
SciFiBoy said:

And believe in religion.

also, we ARE animals

They certainly think and communicate, but not to such a degree as humans.

But that's because human brain is much bigger (relative to body size) than any other animal