By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - US Army wanted Xbox 360, MS Refused

supercat said:
NiKKoM said:
So the US tax payers almost paid for videogames for the guys in the army.. hmmmm... I wouldn't be too happy with that if I paid taxes in the US...

It was probably going to be something off a inter-connected computer kind of like what the AirForce is doing w/ the PS3s, and for that, you would basically keep them on 24/7 .

inter connected computer.... ah you mean a lan party halo 3:

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Around the Network

PR fail incomin

NiKKoM said:
supercat said:
NiKKoM said:
So the US tax payers almost paid for videogames for the guys in the army.. hmmmm... I wouldn't be too happy with that if I paid taxes in the US...

It was probably going to be something off a inter-connected computer kind of like what the AirForce is doing w/ the PS3s, and for that, you would basically keep them on 24/7 .

inter connected computer.... ah you mean a lan party halo 3:

well, the air force is using the PS3's as a supercomputer for radar or modeling of forces movements or for the weather or what have you.  I thought that the army would need something similar....

NiKKoM said:

They've been doing so for a while, just using PCs instead of consoles. It's nothing new or secret.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

basically, MS is lying when they say that they are being sensitive to others feelings as a reason to reject this. I mean, they support every fps out there, the America's Army videogame, and have more sales in the US as a % of total than the other two, so their audience will be the most receptive to this kind of news.

Sorry, grimes, just looking past the bad explanation

Around the Network
supercat said:

During that time, the 360 was rrod hell.  MS knew that there would be almost a 100% chance of these 360s needing to get refurb'd b/c they would always be on so they wisely chose to not take that cost. 

That's exactly what I thought.  This is probably the sole reason they wouldn't have.  They'd look horrible if they did.

Even if it was to be sold at a deal, this is the US army we are talking about and an American company. I can't think of worse press than having some pundit come out and say how MS hates America by refusing to sell them something that could help train America's soldiers. A foreign company could get away with it, but not an American one. And I mean I know capitalism doesn't do much for national pride out of corporations (despite far right conservatives thinking otherwise) but I still wouldn't take the risk of the bad press if I were them.

However, I do think their reasoning is solid, but as I STRONGLY know, an appeal to logos isn't always as effective as it probably should be.

I think MS should have done it, but I don't know about "saving soldiers lives." They choose to be there and they are killing people with families too.

Since when has something not working ever stopped a company from selling something to the US government?

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

Grimes said:
Since when has something not working ever stopped a company from selling something to the US government?

Given the army's heavy usage needs and the product's guaranteed replacement if rrod'd , i'd say that this would be a money-losing project for MS.