By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Best Games OVERALL! (And the winner is....)

@Mendicate Bias

I never said Halo was a bad game and I never said Halo wasn't popular, even on the PC (as the PC version came out years after the Halo hype train had left the station). My only statement is that Halo wasn't as "revolutionary" as people think.

It added 4 player co-op (that's cool if it is true) to FPSs, the ability to play 4 player split screen and online on the same machine(good to have both things together) and some gameplay elements that people like and other people (like me) dislike.

My previous statement of being "awesome" on the X-Box to most people while being "meh" to most PC users was a little over the top, I agree and is completely 100% based on a small sample size of me and all of my PC gaming friends. Sure it was better than the Duke Nukems and Rise of the Triads out there, but I would say there were plenty of FPSs better than it (which, if you note in your defense that Halo made the top 20 PC games of all time, there were 3 other FPSs immediately higher than Halo in that list).

So, to reiterate, my point is, the only thing Halo really revolutionized for FPSs is that it was popular (mainly because it was on the xbox). If it had been PC only we wouldn't be having the conversation IMO.

I commend Halo for being a good FPS on a console and helping make FPSs the current "kings" of software but it is by no means "revolutionary" to me.

Around the Network
EncodedNybble said:
@Mendicate Bias

I never said Halo was a bad game and I never said Halo wasn't popular, even on the PC (as the PC version came out years after the Halo hype train had left the station). My only statement is that Halo wasn't as "revolutionary" as people think.

It added 4 player co-op (that's cool if it is true) to FPSs, the ability to play 4 player split screen and online (also, both good things) and some gameplay elements that people like and other people (like me) dislike.

My previous statement of being "awesome" on the X-Box to most people while being "meh" to most PC users was a little over the top, I agree and is completely 100% based on a small sample size of me and all of my PC gaming friends. Sure it was better than the Duke Nukems and Rise of the Triads out there, but I would say there were plenty of FPSs better than it (which, if you note in your defense that Halo made the top 20 PC games of all time, there were 3 other FPSs immediately higher than Halo in that list).

So, to reiterate, my point is, the only thing Halo really revolutionized for FPSs is that it was popular (mainly because it was on the xbox). If it had been PC only we wouldn't be having the conversation IMO.

I commend Halo for being a good FPS on a console and helping make FPSs the current "kings" of software but it is by no means "revolutionary" to me.

Thats fine and I respect your opinion. I still argue that Halo shaped the landscape for fps this decade. How much influence it had is debatable but thank you for wording your argument in a reasonable manner. Also if you look at the Edge list its not listing the top games based off quality but off revenue as I was simply making the argument that Halo was also a financial success on PC's.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

@freebs2

My first sediments with Tomb Raider was this, if a game has puzzles in it then it's a rip off. That's what I was hearing from you, if the combat was similar, has climbing, etc. it was only a copy and nothing more.

The reason why Uncharted 2 is on this list stems from a variety of reasons. Story, cinematic feel, game play, characterization, set pieces, and technical prowess. U2 differentiates itself as a mega contender on all parts. It wraps itself in a cascade of greatness and is in many ways able to transcend that of being only a video game. Or at least that was my initial impression upon completion... the people at IGN must've felt the same way.

Can't really see the part about how Gears and Uncharted are similar. Seemed to be quite different experiences.

@Mendicate Bias

Ah, I quickly read through the list, didn't know it was revenue based. Diablo II more than WoW? Wow, that surprises me (though I love Diablo II, I can't count the number of hours I've sunk on that game).

Anyway, we'll agree to disagree on Halo, but I can agree with you that you are correct that it has shaped FPSs this decade. So, I guess I'll say this: Halo has been very good to the genre and helped break it into the "more" mainstream (I'll argue it was pretty mainstream before that just not console mainstream due to lack of dual analog sticks).

Kind of lame that the IGN list is just the GOTY for the different years, but I guess that depends on how the list was defined, I thought it was defined as "best games of the decade", how foolish of me.

Mendicate Bias said:
ssj12 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
EncodedNybble said:

@ssj12

Amen brother (except for the last HL specific bit). Halo did very little to the genre outside of grenades (meh), regenerating shields without any sort of upgrade (that absolutely ruined it for me) and being on a console and having online play (as golden eye did the 4 player split screen way before and many PC FPSs starting way back with Doom had online play).

So, I'll give it to Halo that it introduced an FPS that can be played by 4 people in the same room or online, but that, to me, isn't that big of a feat.

It's a good console FPS and consoles lacked FPSs at the time, but if your game goes from awesome to "meh" because it changes platforms (and the platforms don't change anything too drastically like controls or other gameplay), then that says a lot about the game's quality.

Oh yea PC gamers hated Halo:CE when it came to PC cause it showed how bad it was compared to leet PC fps...oh wait. 

But of course it sold really badly on PC cause no one would buy such a noobish game that was released 2 years after the xbox version when PC games had evolved pass their measly console counterparts.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-top-100-pc-games-21st-century?page=0,8 

oh ummm...oops

The fact is that Halo is popular and it started the revolution that brought fps to consoles en mass and because of that PC gamers hate Halo. If they hopped off the bandwagon and took the time to actually look at the game they would see that it brought more innovations to the fps genre than most other series ever have.

Halo PC: 83 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/halo?q=halo

Halo 2 PC: 72 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/halo2?q=halo

Such amazing scores for an amazing game, not.

hahahahaha omg talk about a hypocrite. Were you not the one that chewed me out for using metacritic to show that Halo was better than half-life? I guess if it suits your needs its ok to use metacritic huh? Halo:CE PC was released two years after its xbox version, lacked co-op which the console version had and had ridiculous system requirements reducing the score. Halo 2 Vista was a joke. It was released 3 years after the console version with MS trying to force feed their premature OS down everyones throats and required paid subscription to MS's Games for Windows BS. 

But hey you want to use metacritic, ok lets do that

Halo:CE- 97

Halo 2- 95

Halo 3- 94

Half-Life- 96

Half-Life 2- 96

So are you willing to admit that Halo:CE is better than both Half-Life's or do you want to keep on being a hypocrite? Oh and again nice job on proving Halo is just a generic shooter and Half-Life is so unique and innovative, you really showed me.

PC >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Xbox 360 PS3 and Wii combined

and if you looked at the site you posted with the top 100, Half-Life 2 is higher the Halo.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
ssj12 said:

hahahahaha omg talk about a hypocrite. Were you not the one that chewed me out for using metacritic to show that Halo was better than half-life? I guess if it suits your needs its ok to use metacritic huh? Halo:CE PC was released two years after its xbox version, lacked co-op which the console version had and had ridiculous system requirements reducing the score. Halo 2 Vista was a joke. It was released 3 years after the console version with MS trying to force feed their premature OS down everyones throats and required paid subscription to MS's Games for Windows BS. 

Halo 2- 95

Halo 3- 94

Half-Life- 96

Half-Life 2- 96

So are you willing to admit that Halo:CE is better than both Half-Life's or do you want to keep on being a hypocrite? Oh and again nice job on proving Halo is just a generic shooter and Half-Life is so unique and innovative, you really showed me.

and if you looked at the site you posted with the top 100, Half-Life 2 is higher the Halo.

If you looked at the list you would see it is revenue based not quality based.

Based off you answer I can easily say thank you, you have proven my point very well. That is all.

Mendicate Bias said:
ssj12 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
ssj12 said:

Halo 2- 95

Halo 3- 94

Half-Life- 96

Half-Life 2- 96

Based off you answer I can easily say thank you, you have proven my point very well. That is all.

Why? because I've played FPS games since the first game of the genre Wolfenstein 3D was first released? because I've been playing video games, including classic shooters, since the c64 and Apple II?

Frankly PS2 > PS3 + 360 + Wii. And N64, NES, and SNES all top the PS2. PC will always be top rung on platforms and games. There are a ton of developers, both big and small, that are looking to innovate and create new experiences in different genres. Its also the longest living platform.

In the end you WILL NOT convince me that Halo added anything to the genre because I've play many games of its before its time that outclass it in everyway. There is nothing definitively special about Halo.

Tribes, Unreal, Battlefield, Half-Life, Doom, Deus Ex, etc all are in a higher class of games that Halo will never reach. Its called have world class developers behind them. Bungie is not a world class developer like Valve, Dice, ID Software, Raven Software, Epic Games, GearBox, or Ritual, and probably never will be.

Im sick of arguing with you because your blinded by fanboyism of your favorite console. Its ok. Maybe you should actually take a look at learning about video game history and judge the fact that 4 player co-op and the many other featuires your trying to defend comes from other genres and platforms. They are not new concepts.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

freebs2 said:
pastro243 said:
freebs2 said:
Half Life 2 for the first place= I can agree with that
No Metroid Prime in the list= Blasphemy!
Uncharted 2 =doesn't deserve to be on the list

Why not? It got a lot of critical acclaim.

How can they judge the importance of a game in a decade when it's only been out for 2 months? and beside that I don't agree with all the critical acclaim it has got. It's a game with gorgeus graphics and presentation but beside that it hasn't got anything that I haven't seen in other games before and it's also too repetitive in my opinion. Lots of games deserve a lot more to be on that list, -there isn't even Resident Evil4- I even preferred Jak2 also made by naughty dog instead

I think one of the reasons Uncharted 2 gets all the props it does is "believability". I've never played an Uncharted game but I can kind of see the merit. I've never seen a game with a more believable cast. Its like the characters really exist. Sureits graphics helped show this but I think that is the core element behind Uncharted 2's praise. I could be wrong, but this is what I think is the case is.

It's pretty sad that I haven't played any of the games on that list. My bro has the orange box on 360. I watched him play Half-life 2 for a bi...IDK what the hype is about. Same goes for SoTC. IDK wahts so great about Fallout either and the voice acting in okami irritated my ears. I dont get the list at all.

"Dr. Tenma, according to you, lives are equal. That's why I live today. But you must have realised it by now...the only thing people are equal in is death"---Johann Liebert (MONSTER)

"WAR is a racket. It always has been.

It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in lives"---Maj. Gen. Smedley Butler

Were it not for Okami, I would actually agree with an IGN list!!

ssj12 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
ssj12 said:

Why? because I've played FPS games since the first game of the genre Wolfenstein 3D was first released? because I've been playing video games, including classic shooters, since the c64 and Apple II?

Frankly PS2 > PS3 + 360 + Wii. And N64, NES, and SNES all top the PS2. PC will always be top rung on platforms and games. There are a ton of developers, both big and small, that are looking to innovate and create new experiences in different genres. Its also the longest living platform.

In the end you WILL NOT convince me that Halo added anything to the genre because I've play many games of its before its time that outclass it in everyway. There is nothing definitively special about Halo.

Tribes, Unreal, Battlefield, Half-Life, Doom, Deus Ex, etc all are in a higher class of games that Halo will never reach. Its called have world class developers behind them. Bungie is not a world class developer like Valve, Dice, ID Software, Raven Software, Epic Games, GearBox, or Ritual, and probably never will be.

Im sick of arguing with you because your blinded by fanboyism of your favorite console. Its ok. Maybe you should actually take a look at learning about video game history and judge the fact that 4 player co-op and the many other featuires your trying to defend comes from other genres and platforms. They are not new concepts.

Were the same age, don't act like you've been playing games for 30 plus years. Also trust me just by reading your posts it's pretty clear who the fanboy in this argument is. This is not an argument about opinion this is a factual argument about innovation. I listed Halo's innovations yet you failed to list a single one from half-life. You've closed your mind shut so tight you won't even admit that Bungie is a good developer and you actually think the PC is better than all current gen consoles combined, now tell me that doesn't sound like fanboyism.

Its ok though, if you want to continue to pretend like the real world doesn't exist then go on ahead, who am I to stop you. Just don't spout your elitism like its the truth and expect me to take it laying down.