By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Best Games OVERALL! (And the winner is....)

Actually I wasn't the one who compared it to tomb raider, however those climbing (not platforming) sequences are =to assassin's creed climbing movements, uncharted 2's gameplay is a sum of copied features:
Gears Of War combat 1:1+Assassin's creed climbing sequences 1:1+ easier versions of tomb raider's puzzles= Uncharted 2

Around the Network
freebs2 said:
Actually I wasn't the one who compared it to tomb raider, however those climbing (not platforming) sequences are =to assassin's creed climbing movements, uncharted 2's gameplay is a sum of copied features:
Gears Of War combat 1:1+Assassin's creed climbing sequences 1:1+ easier versions of tomb raider's puzzles= Uncharted 2

And you think Gears of War and Assassin's Creed were not inspired by something else themselves?

*sigh*

Boutros said:
freebs2 said:

And you think Gears of War and Assassin's Creed were not inspired by something else themselves?

*sigh*

You're right every game is inspired by another but it doesn't mean that you have to copy it 1:1.

Gears Of War for example was heavily inspired by Resident Evil 4 as Cliff B. said itself, there are some similarites between them but at the end Gears is a completely different experince while uncharted has not only similarities with Gears combat system, it's equal. And the same can be said with Assassin's climbing movements.

freebs2 said:

Hmm...

First, going by your logic Gears can easily be considered an exact rip off of Kill Switch 1:1. Second, AC came out after Uncharted 1 which Uncharted 2 *actually* derives its climbing elements from so 0:1. And third, Tomb Raider ripped off the puzzle concept from Metroid. Because the first game that had puzzles is king while every other game that has puzzles is just a complete ripoff :P

Do you see how pointless the above paragraph is? Taking games and not giving them credit and love simply because elements of said game can be found randomly elsewhere is stupid... very, VERY stupid. Just enjoy entertainment instead of playing the who did what, when police.

I think that playing/finishing past the 1/3 mark of Uncharted 2 would be a great start. You might even end up seeing why it's on this list! :)

freebs2 said:
Boutros said:
freebs2 said:

*sigh*

You're right every game is inspired by another but it doesn't mean that you have to copy it 1:1.

Gears Of War for example was heavily inspired by Resident Evil 4 as Cliff B. said itself, there are some similarites between them but at the end Gears is a completely different experince while uncharted has not only similarities with Gears combat system, it's equal. And the same can be said with Assassin's climbing movements.

Uncharted is NOT an exact rip from Gears of War. It just isn't... You can't have a major platforming element and be directly identical to a game that doesn't have a major platforming element. Just don't work that way buddy

Around the Network
ssj12 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
EncodedNybble said:

@ssj12

Amen brother (except for the last HL specific bit). Halo did very little to the genre outside of grenades (meh), regenerating shields without any sort of upgrade (that absolutely ruined it for me) and being on a console and having online play (as golden eye did the 4 player split screen way before and many PC FPSs starting way back with Doom had online play).

So, I'll give it to Halo that it introduced an FPS that can be played by 4 people in the same room or online, but that, to me, isn't that big of a feat.

It's a good console FPS and consoles lacked FPSs at the time, but if your game goes from awesome to "meh" because it changes platforms (and the platforms don't change anything too drastically like controls or other gameplay), then that says a lot about the game's quality.

Oh yea PC gamers hated Halo:CE when it came to PC cause it showed how bad it was compared to leet PC fps...oh wait. 

But of course it sold really badly on PC cause no one would buy such a noobish game that was released 2 years after the xbox version when PC games had evolved pass their measly console counterparts.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-top-100-pc-games-21st-century?page=0,8 

oh ummm...oops

The fact is that Halo is popular and it started the revolution that brought fps to consoles en mass and because of that PC gamers hate Halo. If they hopped off the bandwagon and took the time to actually look at the game they would see that it brought more innovations to the fps genre than most other series ever have.

Halo PC: 83 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/halo?q=halo

Halo 2 PC: 72 http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/halo2?q=halo

Such amazing scores for an amazing game, not.

hahahahaha omg talk about a hypocrite. Were you not the one that chewed me out for using metacritic to show that Halo was better than half-life? I guess if it suits your needs its ok to use metacritic huh? Halo:CE PC was released two years after its xbox version, lacked co-op which the console version had and had ridiculous system requirements reducing the score. Halo 2 Vista was a joke. It was released 3 years after the console version with MS trying to force feed their premature OS down everyones throats and required paid subscription to MS's Games for Windows BS. 

But hey you want to use metacritic, ok lets do that

Halo:CE- 97

Halo 2- 95

Halo 3- 94

Half-Life- 96

Half-Life 2- 96

So are you willing to admit that Halo:CE is better than both Half-Life's or do you want to keep on being a hypocrite? Oh and again nice job on proving Halo is just a generic shooter and Half-Life is so unique and innovative, you really showed me.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Barozi said:
Okay so I'll go more in detail what I like about this list and what I don't like.

+ GTA III is on the list and not Vice City, San Andreas or GTA IV
+ Half-Life 2 is Nr.1
+ Battlefield 1942 is actually on the list and not Battlefield 2
+ Star Wars KOTOR is 3rd
+ Fallout 3 my game of the gen (thus far) is on it

- Uncharted 2 shouldn't be there
- Don't know why Shadow of the Colossus is on the list

Never played Okami, but I have the feeling I wouldn't set it on this list either.

I agree to be honest, don't know why Okami, Shadow Of The Collussus and Uncharted 2 made the list, don't deserve to be there.  Neither does Battlefeld 1942 to be fair either. 

Why not GT3 in the list for example?  No Halo CE either which is ludicrous given its impact.  One of the best selling games and most enjoyed by a huge number, The Sims never got on there!  Should have dumped Counter Strike for CSS or TF2 imo too.  In fact in summary the list is appalling to me and very poorly thought about.

Boutros said:
freebs2 said:
Boutros said:
freebs2 said:
dobby985 said:
Snesboy said:
I stand by my previous point. Uncharted 2 is not deserving to be on that list.

Exactly, It's a combination of Gears of War with the easiest of Tomb Raider puzzles.

(Not my words but I agree with who originally said that)

Totally agree.

"It's a combination of Gears of War with the easiest of Tomb Raider puzzles."

And that makes it a bad game/not deserving to be on the list?

There is some difference beetween being considered a bad game and a top10 decade game.

There are a lot of orignial games that deserves to be on that list a lot more than an average action carbon-copy game. Even if it has good graphics, good but repetitive gameplay and all....

Uncharted is not an average action game and certainly not a carbon-copy game. You just don't know what you're talking about.

And that's the way the list is made. They took each GOTY and they made a list with them.

If they made it that way then it explains why it is so utterly awful, thats a terribly flawed method of selection when you consider it doesn't take into account some years have more great games than others.

Sorry I don't see the similarities between tomb raider and metroid. I haven't played kill Switch so I don't know still doesn't change the fact that Uncharted is = to Gears, I've never also thought that Gears is better game than uncharted.
What doesn't make me give credit to uncharted and doesn't make me want to complete it, it's not just because I can already see it's features on other games but it's because after I have played 3 very similar games (gears1,2,uncharted1) I'm getting a bit tired of the formula.
To be on a top10 decade list originality is a necessary quality in my opinion, games like Half-Life 2 actually added something new to games. I don't see any important addition from uncharted 2.

Its a pretty good list, the only thing I would change is swap one of the games out and put one of the Halo's in it...