By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN: Best Games OVERALL! (And the winner is....)

OMG, I just noticed this. Resident Evil 4 isn't there.

I take back what I said, the list sucks.

Around the Network

Good thing I clicked the link... I thought it was best games of all time overall lack of Starcraft and Ocarina of time had me confused

Mazty said:
ssj12 said:

Halo is far from influential. Frankly your confused on which game is generic.

Also Valve's physics engine inspired Havok. Not the other way around.

Just because you have no idea the angle the Half-Life franchise was going with narrative and plot, you should not insult art.

You can lean... you just obviously have no idea how to do it. (should br the q+e keys unless you stupidly changed them)

And comparing Half-Life to Twilight has to be a sin.

OT: I agree with this list. Battlefield 1942 influence the vehicle based combat in multiplayer games combining excellent gameplaying and vehicle combat.

Half-Life 2 is godlike. There is no better FPS.

Clearly you have no idea about FPS' before Halo:CE.

It was the one to bring regenerating health, a two weapon balanced system (Rocket launcher with very limited ammo), melee attack and quick use grenades. Almost every game since then has copied this forumla. What did HL2 bring to FPS?

How about you defend the 'art' instead of saying I'm ignorant to it? Don't try that cop-out. Explain why it is art.

No you can't lean. Well done on that stupid mistake.

Please explain why HL2 is so good, unless you are one of those mindless drones whose entire reasoning comes down to "Cuz it iz".

Thank You for posting that, some people seriously don't remember what fps were like before Halo.

And to add to that list Halo introduced matchmaking, 4 player co-op for fps, theater which games like Uncharted 2 are just starting to use, campaign modifiers (skulls) and a few other minor but none the less unique features.

Every single one of the above feature in both my post and Mazty's has greatly influenced the shooter market over the last decade. People like to jump on the bandwagon and call Halo a generic shooter but thats because they don't realize that half the features they see in fps today came from Halo.

The definitive evidence that video games turn people into mass murderers

Snesboy said:
Resident Evil 4 should be on that list and not Uncharted 2.

10 years from now, no one will care about Uncharted 2.

Ha, 10 years would be great. Just take Resident Evil 4, came out in 2005, and only a measly 5 years later nobody cares about it. Thus it didn't make the list.

What's that? You care about it? Oh... then perhaps you shouldn't downgrade a game that doesn't fit YOUR fancy. And if it means anything, I'll certainly be singing Uncharted 2 praise 20 years from now...

patapon said:
Snesboy said:

Ha, 10 years would be great. Just take Resident Evil 4, came out in 2005, and only a measly 5 years later nobody cares about it. Thus it didn't make the list.

What's that? You care about it? Oh... then perhaps you shouldn't downgrade a game that doesn't fit YOUR fancy. And if it means anything, I'll certainly be singing Uncharted 2 praise 20 years from now...

It's funny that the OP did not explain how this list was created.

IGN created a 'best of' for every year and the number ones ended up on this list. So for every year there is 1 game...

RE4 had gotten second for best games of 2005, thus did not make the list. (Sotc did)

To every other person bashing this list for reasons that have entirely nothing to do with the way the list was created: LMAO

Around the Network
weaveworld said:
patapon said:
Snesboy said:

It's funny that the OP did not explain how this list was created.

IGN created a 'best of' for every year and the number ones ended up on this list. So for every year there is 1 game...

RE4 had gotten second for best games of 2005, thus did not make the list. (Sotc did)

To every other person bashing this list for reasons that have entirely nothing to do with the way the list was created: LMAO

So are you telling me that two games that are the best of the decade can't be released in the same year? If that is the way they made the overall list then thats just stupid since there can be multiple games in one year that are better than any game in another.

Mendicate Bias said:
Mazty said:
ssj12 said:

Just because you have no idea the angle the Half-Life franchise was going with narrative and plot, you should not insult art.

You can lean... you just obviously have no idea how to do it. (should br the q+e keys unless you stupidly changed them)

OT: I agree with this list. Battlefield 1942 influence the vehicle based combat in multiplayer games combining excellent gameplaying and vehicle combat.

It was the one to bring regenerating health, a two weapon balanced system (Rocket launcher with very limited ammo), melee attack and quick use grenades. Almost every game since then has copied this forumla. What did HL2 bring to FPS?

How about you defend the 'art' instead of saying I'm ignorant to it? Don't try that cop-out. Explain why it is art.

Please explain why HL2 is so good, unless you are one of those mindless drones whose entire reasoning comes down to "Cuz it iz".

Thank You for posting that, some people seriously don't remember what fps were like before Halo.

And to add to that list Halo introduced matchmaking, 4 player co-op for fps, theater which games like Uncharted 2 are just starting to use, campaign modifiers (skulls) and a few other minor but none the less unique features.

Every single one of the above feature in both my post and Mazty's has greatly influenced the shooter market over the last decade. People like to jump on the bandwagon and call Halo a generic shooter but thats because they don't realize that half the features they see in fps today came from Halo.

campaign modifiers... how about mutators in Unreal? or game modifiers in GoldenEye 007.

matchmaking? this started actually back in 1996 when a small website for online games started called Zone.com. Later it was bought by Microsoft and renamed Internet Gaming Zone. Its now MSN Games. In terms of retail games. Blizzard started it Battle.net.

two weapons, GoldenEye 007 says hello.

co-op? you do realize that "co-op" means Cooperative gameplay right? This has been done since Doom. This has been done in every online multiplayer game for ages on PC. We PC gamers dont need an external interface like XBL or the PSN because our interfaces are built into our games but if we do want an external one we have Steam and Xfire to assist with matchmaking and co-op gameplay.

still you need to learn your video game history. Halo has done NOTHING unique other than being the first, and only, good game released on the original Xbox at launch.

Also @mazty question on why Half-Life 2, and the HL franchise is so good. Its rather hard to explain. Its the way Valve rolled amazing gameplay, unique storytelling, character development, and atmosphere together. Some people dislike the way the game is done, but the Half-Life franchise has won WAY to many awards to be ignored and called "crappy."

Its like movies, even the biggest blockbusters some people hate, but the majority loves them.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Why wasn't orange bix included?
it has this game and more!!

@ssj12

Amen brother (except for the last HL specific bit). Halo did very little to the genre outside of grenades (meh), regenerating shields without any sort of upgrade (that absolutely ruined it for me) and being on a console and having online play (as golden eye did the 4 player split screen way before and many PC FPSs starting way back with Doom had online play).

So, I'll give it to Halo that it introduced an FPS that can be played by 4 people in the same room or online, but that, to me, isn't that big of a feat.

It's a good console FPS and consoles lacked FPSs at the time, but if your game goes from awesome to "meh" because it changes platforms (and the platforms don't change anything too drastically like controls or other gameplay), then that says a lot about the game's quality.

ssj12 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
Mazty said:
ssj12 said:

campaign modifiers... how about mutators in Unreal? or game modifiers in GoldenEye 007.

matchmaking? this started actually back in 1996 when a small website for online games started called Zone.com. Later it was bought by Microsoft and renamed Internet Gaming Zone. Its now MSN Games. In terms of retail games. Blizzard started it Battle.net.

two weapons, GoldenEye 007 says hello.

co-op? you do realize that "co-op" means Cooperative gameplay right? This has been done since Doom. This has been done in every online multiplayer game for ages on PC. We PC gamers dont need an external interface like XBL or the PSN because our interfaces are built into our games but if we do want an external one we have Steam and Xfire to assist with matchmaking and co-op gameplay.

still you need to learn your video game history. Halo has done NOTHING unique other than being the first, and only, good game released on the original Xbox at launch.

Also @mazty question on why Half-Life 2, and the HL franchise is so good. Its rather hard to explain. Its the way Valve rolled amazing gameplay, unique storytelling, character development, and atmosphere together. Some people dislike the way the game is done, but the Half-Life franchise has won WAY to many awards to be ignored and called "crappy."

Its like movies, even the biggest blockbusters some people hate, but the majority loves them.

Wow I don't even know where to start. First of all you have no idea what matchmaking is, no game before Halo 2 had matchmaking it was a completely new system. 

The two weapon system for Halo was for both its campaign and multiplayer which Goldeneye didn't have but I don't remember too well so I may be wrong about that. Also mutators in Unreal were only for multiplayer unless I'm mistaken or your talking about user mods which is a completely different argument. The Golden eye modifiers were cheats that made the game easier not something that changed the entire dynamic of the game and made it harder. Finally the Skulls in Halo had to be found not to mention activating them opened up an entirely new metagame which gave players a campaign score.

Notice I said 4 player co-op and were talking about campaign co-op so don't act daft.

I love how you ignored everything else listed too like regenerative health, quick use grenades and theater.

We haven't even touched on vehicles. Halo was the first fps that showed the player animation for getting into and out of a vehicle. It was the first fps that integrated a balanced vehicle system into multiplayer that worked and was actually fun. It was also the first fps that introduced boarding of enemy vehicles while they were still driving it.

Oh and lets not forget about dual wielding. Halo 2 was the first fps that let you mix and match what weapons you wanted to hold at the same time opening up completely new strategies.

Keep on being ignorant to the fact that Halo has shaped the entire fps market for the last decade if you want to but try and do some research before you make baseless claims. Oh and good job on telling us what innovations Half-Life 2 brought us, you really showed us.