By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - New Pokemon revealed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zoroark certainly looks like a Dark-Fire or Dark-Fighter type

Around the Network
naznatips said:
routsounmanman said:
naznatips said:

Yeah, I don't use legendaries either so I was sad to see so many of the roster taken up by them. On the other hand some of the evolutions made some really cool pokemon viable, like Mamoswine and Gallade. Actually DP is the best balanced Pokemon has ever been, by far. People forget how fucked up the balance was in Gens 1 and 2. You know out of the first 150 more than 50 were normal, water, and poison? Gen 2 did nothing to correct this, and it wasn't until Gen 3 that they even really tried to balance classes, and not till Gen 4 that there was anything close to real balance. Even now there are some really weak classes like fire, who's only really good pokemon are starters and legendaries, and which is rare in general.

Forget or never knew? Less than 10% of the population can tell what major difference 3rd generation made when attacks were split between Physical and Special. Most people couldn't even tell the difference between 1st and 2nd gen when Sp. Def was effectively introduced. Everyone seems to just look at the designs of the new Pokemon, beat the game (which is criminally easy for obvious reasons), and think they're the very best >_>

PS: Just ask someone who plays regularly Pokemon what STAB is, just for laughs.

Indeed, though the special/physical split was 4th gen, not 3rd. 3rd gen added abilities, which I admit is the weakest of all the formula tweaks. I could never ever go back to before the special/physical split. That was such a massively important change. I refuse to play the old Pokemon games anymore.

I stand corrected. And I agree, abilities are a very nice idea, not very well executed though. Except for some rare instances (Wonder Guard, Kyogre / Groudon weather change), most abilities add little to the formula. Especially since all 90% of all legendaries carry the same useless Pressure ability X_X

routsounmanman said:
naznatips said:
routsounmanman said:
naznatips said:

Yeah, I don't use legendaries either so I was sad to see so many of the roster taken up by them. On the other hand some of the evolutions made some really cool pokemon viable, like Mamoswine and Gallade. Actually DP is the best balanced Pokemon has ever been, by far. People forget how fucked up the balance was in Gens 1 and 2. You know out of the first 150 more than 50 were normal, water, and poison? Gen 2 did nothing to correct this, and it wasn't until Gen 3 that they even really tried to balance classes, and not till Gen 4 that there was anything close to real balance. Even now there are some really weak classes like fire, who's only really good pokemon are starters and legendaries, and which is rare in general.

Forget or never knew? Less than 10% of the population can tell what major difference 3rd generation made when attacks were split between Physical and Special. Most people couldn't even tell the difference between 1st and 2nd gen when Sp. Def was effectively introduced. Everyone seems to just look at the designs of the new Pokemon, beat the game (which is criminally easy for obvious reasons), and think they're the very best >_>

Indeed, though the special/physical split was 4th gen, not 3rd. 3rd gen added abilities, which I admit is the weakest of all the formula tweaks. I could never ever go back to before the special/physical split. That was such a massively important change. I refuse to play the old Pokemon games anymore.

I stand corrected. And I agree, abilities are a very nice idea, not very well executed though. Except for some rare instances (Wonder Guard, Kyogre / Groudon weather change), most abilities add little to the formula. Especially since all 90% of all legendaries carry the same useless Pressure ability X_X

4th gen boosted the quality of abilities as well. More pokemon have metagame-useful ones like water/volt absorb and swift swim, and new useful ones were added like motor drive, anticipation, solid rock, download, filter, no guard, and my personal favorite: technician.

routsounmanman said:
naznatips said:
routsounmanman said:
Farmageddon said:
naznatips said:

Zoroark is meant to be special too. Like Lucario, he has a special story behind him, even if he isn't legendary, and is getting a whole movie made about him.

Sure, but as I said before, I just think his style is very different from the original style. And he may be special (even if he's a "natural" pokemon), but going by the previous couple of gens, not fitting as well seems like a trend. I'm not the only one who thinks this, but I'm sure many disagree. Again, there's a bit of subjectivity involved.

But anyway, I don't see this as a deal breaker or anything, it just doesn't quite feel right to me.

It's just nostalgia that clouds your judgement for each new generation of Pokemon, get over it people. My sole problem with the last one is that there are too many evolutions of previous generation Pokes and too many legendaries. Crappy ones too.

Just to be clear, I agree with both of you that the games are actually getting better and more balanced and that it makes a huge difference in the "metagame" and that's great as I always thought that was the best part of pokemon anyways. But that has nothing to do with liking the designs or not. The games do get better and better in just about every other aspect (maybe legendary overload or story repetitiveness aside), all I was saying was that, to me, the pokemon themselves feel more and more generic.

And anyone who played Stadium 2 should know what STAB is :P

Farmageddon said:

Just to be clear, I agree with both of you that the games are actually getting better and more balanced and that it makes a huge difference in the "metagame" and that's great as I always thought that was the best part of pokemon anyways. But that has nothing to do with liking the designs or not. The games do get better and better in just about every other aspect (maybe legendary overload or story repetitiveness aside), all I was saying was that, to me, the pokemon themselves feel more and more generic.

And anyone who played Stadium 2 should know what STAB is :P

Personally I think Gen 4 introduced more favorite designs for me than any other gen. The ones that immediately pop-up that I loved:

That's ignoring the legendaries.

Oh and of course

I'd paste all his awesome forms, but it would take too long.

Around the Network

Good point Naz, actually... Gen IV introduced my new favorite pokemon:

Leafeon is just awesome, but I wish his moveset was a bit more diverse (I have him on my team as a Swords Dance/Baton Pass user. Roar and Leaf Blade are there for support). Still, love him!

Well, I personally don't like most of these designs, but I guess it's a matter of, well, personal preference after all.

Oh, but Leafeon is cool :)

Farmageddon said:
Well, I personally don't like most of these designs, but I guess it's a matter of, well, personal preference after all.

Oh, but Leafeon is cool :)

Not even Rotom? Crazy.

naznatips said:

Not even Rotom? Crazy.

It may be nice, but to me he'd fit better on M&L than in Pokemon :P