By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - EA: Dead Space 2 Will Have Modern Warfare-Level Action

The company says its survival horror sequel is less survival and more action; compares the game's intensity to Modern Warfare and Uncharted.

by Matt Casamassina

February 5, 2010 - Last December, Electronic Arts revealed that internal studio Visceral Games wasunderway with a sequel to the acclaimed survival horror title Dead Space. Then, the publisher said that series hero Isaac Clarke would prove more aggressive and that the sequel would also include a new online mode. 

Speaking to IGN, senior vice president and head of Visceral Games, Nick Earl, offered a few more details about the anticipated project -- namely, that action and polish are at the forefront of the sequel. Earl even compared the effort with two non-EA franchises known for their undiluted intensity. 

"I can tell you that we're a little more focused on action horror as opposed to survival horror. We just created a really beautiful sequence that we're showing internally -- we haven't showed it externally yet, but we will get it out there soon -- that I think speaks to the high voltage nature of the game," he said. "Some really strong action sequences that I think are on par with the level that we're seeing in the Modern Warfare series and with the level that we're seeing in Uncharted. Just beautiful, visual imagery and very electric action." 

He also said that 
Dead Space 2 will see further polish, "... which is saying a lot since Dead Space was so highly rated." 

While he wouldn't yet talk about any more specifics, he did say that the experience would prove "jaw-dropping in terms of scale and scope." 

"I feel very confident about where Dead Space is. I can tell you that we're not resting on our laurels. We're going very, very aggressively to take it to the next level," said Earl.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1067171p1.html

Around the Network

wait... so Battlefield Company 2, Medal of Honor and Deadspace 2 are EA's new Modern Warfare? Must be nice working in those teams while your boss yells at you "make a Modern Warfare!"

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

:(

just make Dead Space: Extraction 2

thanks

NiKKoM said:
wait... so Battlefield Company 2, Medal of Honor and Deadspace 2 are EA's new Modern Warfare? Must be nice working in those teams while your boss yells at you "make a Modern Warfare!"

This sounds more like Gears than Modern Warfare to be honest, he just probably didn't want to say Gears because that comparison would be brought up anyway.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

so in other words its going to suck a hell of a lot more......if they change anything in dead space it should be the mission design. go press this button, go flip this switch, everything looked the same, overall a good game though

Draven26 said:
so in other words its going to suck a hell of a lot more......if they change anything in dead space it should be the mission design. go press this button, go flip this switch, everything looked the same, overall a good game though

just because it has more action in it doesnt mean its going to suck, maybe just different, its like RE5, sure its not as good as RE4 or even scary or anything, but its still a great game imo, who knows? DeadSpace 2 might turn out to be better

I never played the original, but i had a chance to observe it being played (which itself is rare for me and a non-Nintendo title), and it seemed to thrive primarily on when there *wasn't* action, rather than when there was. That game had atmosphere to the hilt, like the best moments of Metroid Prime 3 (the derelict ship), but made into a game of its own.

Action is going to dilute it horribly.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

That doesn't sound good.

radiantshadow92 said:
Draven26 said:

just because it has more action in it doesnt mean its going to suck, maybe just different, its like RE5, sure its not as good as RE4 or even scary or anything, but its still a great game imo, who knows? DeadSpace 2 might turn out to be better

If I want more action I will play another action game, Dead Space is one of the few survival horror games this generation, its what made the orignal Dead Space stick out from the rest of the third person shooters.  They should stick to horror