By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Assassin's Creed get a 7.0 from 1UP.

As the review embargo lifts off of SMG and Assassin's Creed both are starting to get more reviews. However, while SMG's 4 new reviews today gave it an even higher Gamerankings average, Assassin's Creed dropped from a 97.5 to an 89.9. The culprit? A very very harsh 1UP review and a more tame (than previous scores) 9.1 from Gametrailers.

1UP hit on what was my greatest fear about the game. The combat system. Their other major complaints were some control faults, a disappointing plot/ending, and too much repitition. Both 1UP and Gametrailers pointed out that there is really no variety at all, and you will repeat the same tasks every time. They both also said the game is actually very linear, and there are some side missions but they aren't good. It's 12-15 hours long, and both reviews also pointed out very explicitly that there is not much replay value at all after the (average length) mission is completed.

Any thoughts? Since it's a multiplatform game I don't think we have to worry about anyone calling this a 1UP bias attack. Are there going to be some mixed reviews for this game, or is it going to just be a single score anomaly?

Edit: Gametrailers blasted the combat too.  Calling the enemy AI "idiotic."  They apparently will surround you with 12 people then attack 1 at a time, and because of the counter system you will easily kill each one.  Basically the combat system is worthless, but luckily it only seems forced on you occasionally. 

Around the Network

PARTYTIME!!!...

Nah, just kiddin ... Maybe 1UP tried to get the game well below the top 10 on Gamerankings... Or, they just didn't like the game!

THE NETHERLANDS

1up biased against multiplatform games.

I hope the Fable 2 people take note: no context sensitive 1 or 2 button controls.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Eurogamer gave it a 7/ 10:
"Apart from climbing things, you spend most of your time fighting like this. Hold the right trigger and press X when someone advances. Repeat 500 times."

Ouch.

Well, like I said earlier, it's been obvious for a long time that this is a flawed game with some significant issues. Apparently it's also boring and repetitive. Not good.
And yet I'll still buy it in a few hours because it looks amazing and I need other cities to climb around in until Crackdown 2 comes out.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

ckmlb said:
1up biased against multiplatform games.

I hope the Fable 2 people take note: no context sensitive 1 or 2 button controls.

OMG ... The 'Site is Biased' crap really has to end!

One of the beautiful things about the gamerankings/metacritic scores is that the sites that are biased for and those that are biased against a particular game/console should balance out; the only exception for this would be games targeted towards new markets because there would probably not be anyone biased towards these games.

The reality is that Assassin's creed is (probably) a very good game produced by Ubisoft who just happens to be a pretty-sloppy developer; their best games have noticeable flaws which can dramatically impact a person's enjoyment of a game.

Around the Network

Not GOTY confirmed?

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

The embargo was lifted and the 7's start appearing everywhere... not surprised by this, it's Ubisoft after all.

Still this game got plenty of hype from fanboys so it should be a good seller.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

sinha said:
Eurogamer gave it a 7/ 10:
"Apart from climbing things, you spend most of your time fighting like this. Hold the right trigger and press X when someone advances. Repeat 500 times."

Ouch.

Well, like I said earlier, it's been obvious for a long time that this is a flawed game with some significant issues. Apparently it's also boring and repetitive. Not good.
And yet I'll still buy it in a few hours because it looks amazing and I need other cities to climb around in until Crackdown 2 comes out.

The complaint about it being the same thing over and over again (collect info and assassinate) doesn't bother me as much because Crackdown was pretty much killing gang leaders over and over again, but I loved it. There was leveling though and those crazy orbs...

huh....when i read that a game got ripped apart from 1up i thought,"hey i didnt know Assassin's Creed was for the wii"---ohhh burn

mesoteto said:
huh....when i read that a game got ripped apart from 1up i thought,"hey i didnt know Assassin's Creed was for the wii"---ohhh burn

Nice one...