By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 2 Overrated?

slowburn said:
twesterm said:
  1. Although I agree it feels more linear, I disagree on the reasons.  The only Mass Effect 2 really did to make it more linear is make you play through story missions at various points, but that also helps keep the pacing of the game.  In the end, the game really is just as linear as Mass Effect.
  2. I'm 16 hours into it and still have two characters to unlock and have only done three loyalty missions with minimal planet scanning.  I'm not upset at the length of the game.
  3. I actually like planet scanning, but I'm also a nerd.  If you don't want to do it and don't think the reward is worth it, don't do it.  Simple concept.

I've yet to actually experience anything terrible and only really have minor complaints about the HUD and the fact the world feels smaller (even though it isn't).  Just about all the streamlining stuff they did was very clever and very smart and made it a better game.

-edit-

Actually, it's funny you list those things because those three things are not what made Mass Effect good and I doubt it's what makes Mass Effect 2 good (I haven't beaten ME2 yet so can't say for sure).

The game is just as linear as the first one but that isn't what's important, what is important is the choices you make.

Length of the game doesn't matter as long as you have fun.  

Planet scanning is in no way at all required.

The part I thought was terrible was replacing exploring planets with your Mako to planet scanning. You're right though, the game is a lot of fun, i just expected Bioware to expand upon what was introduced in ME.

Meh, on one hand removing the Mako made the worlds feel smaller but on the other hand I hated the Mako.  Aimlessly driving the Mako around the landscape trying to climb up a mountain is about as monotonous as scanning a planet anyways.

Around the Network

1- The missions are mostly very similar but the combat is much more satisfying and smoother than ME 1- the increase in weapons, squad members and biotic powers available to use help keep it fresh. It hasn't felt repetitive to me at all.

2- I've put 25 hours into the game (finished the first in 24 hours) and my guess is that I have another 7 hours ahead. I've been doing all side missions and landing on every planet in the game so it feels long to me.

3- Eh, true.

The Meta score is spot on, imo.

I'd probably give it a 93 meta. A 96 is completely ridiculous. (humor intended)

Owner of PS4 Pro, Xbox One, Switch, PS Vita, and 3DS

The_God_of_War said:
1- The missions are mostly very similar but the combat is much more satisfying and smoother than ME 1- the increase in weapons, squad members and biotic powers available to use help keep it fresh. It hasn't felt repetitive to me at all.

2- I've put 25 hours into the game (finished the first in 24 hours) and my guess is that I have another 7 hours ahead. I've been doing all side missions and landing on every planet in the game so it feels long to me.

3- Eh, true.

your profile pic is freakin me out

Fuck... I'm dead!

I thought it was a great game, overrated or not comes with expectations i guess.

Imo what makes ME2 good is that it improved upon the first one. More characters, more weapons, more background storys, better gunplay etc. But if this was the first game of the series, and you rate it for what this game does on its own.. id say its nothig special, still great, but not excellent. I thought Dragon Age did the tactic/rpg aspects alot better. Your choices in ME2 dosent seem to hurt you as much as they did in DA either, something i wouldve wanted more focus on. Your choices just seems to opens up for another dialog option.

Its a 9/10, 90/100 compared to what i expected of the game and what it delivered. But i dont think its overrated perse.

Around the Network

Any game that is >90 will always be overrated by some. When you have a score that high, there will always be people to see it as lesser.

I am not understanding your arguments though:

1. Just as linear as Mass Effect. Can you give any citations as to where it is more linear than ME1? If anything, its less linear as you can free-roam much quicker.
2. How much shorter is ME2 than ME1? I've beaten both. ME2 wasn't much shorter, despite much less filler content like the Mako. By the way, the Mako is coming back for DLC.
3. Is planet scanning any worse than Mako driving?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Wait, you thought the game was short? Even though it's like 3 times bigger than ME1?

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

slowburn said:
The_God_of_War said:

3- Eh, true.

your profile pic is freakin me out

slowburn said:

First, I spent endless hours playing the first Mass Effect, and I did the whole thing of importing both a Paragon Shepard and Renegade Shepard. 

I've played through Mass Effect 2 twice and I am a bit underwhelmed.

These are my complaints -

1. Very linear and very short mission structure, there isn't much mystery or strategy to this game, basically go on mission, walk through some hallways, kill bad guys, return to ship. I really thought ME2 would expand on the ideas introduced in ME, instead of innovating Bioware decided to streamline.

2. Game is short, unless you want to scan every planet for minerals, which isn't necessary, I was shocked when the game ended, I thought I was about to open up a new part of the universe to explore, but no, that was the end. The final battle is lame too. 

3. Planet scanning, ME2 is a fun game to play, but Bioware managed to incorporate the most un-fun thing possible to balance this, if you want upgrades be prepared for endless, mindless hours of planet scanning. Gone are the days of using your Mako to explore new worlds and complete side quests, now in its place is the worst idea to ever enter a video game, planet scanning, thank you Bioware.

Its a good game, its fun to play, but it's not the groundbreaking title that the first Mass Effect was. Innovation has been replaced by simplicity and polish. Parts of it are excellent and parts of it are terrible, the graphics are pretty good overall, but my final opinion is that ME2 is overrated.

Anyone else agree, disagree?

1: I definitely agree on this point, this game is NOT an RPG, its an action game for me, honestly i'av completed it twice (addicted)

the mission are very short and its has a structure of missions rather than exploration.

2: Game is short indeed, Side quests doesn't even consume much time either

3: Planet scanning was interesting at first but gets boring after a while

Great game, I loved the upgrades and its deep gameplay.

I don't think the story telling was that good, was it just me or did anyone notice how plain the facial expression was? lol it was pretty bad.

One of the best game i played this generation which is a huge accomplishment from bioware, but due to the hype i think this game is overhyped and overrated. Don't get me wrong, its just these fanboys Hyping 24/7 about how GREAT GREAT GREAT it is as if its one of the best game in the world. I enjoyed the game very much infact i even started again and ready to complete it on my 3rd try to prevent any members dieing on the suicide mission

PSN: HienTran2691

XBL: IVietCong

@MasterHien

+1 hat off to ya