By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Mass Effect 2 Overrated?

ktchong said:

I feel that Mass Effect 2 is a much better game than Uncharted 2.  Yet they both got the same score (96) at Metacritic.  The PC version of Mass Effect 2 got only 94.  (The scores for Mass Effect 2 will most likely lower by one to 95 and 93 when all reviews come out.)

So, I could argue that Mass Effect is not overrated.  It is underrated because it is better than but got the same score as Uncharted 2.

I really think the PC version should get at least the same score as Uncharted 2. It really should be higher. I supposed PC reviewers have a higher standard than PS3 reviewers.

Or maybe it's Uncharted 2 that's overrated at 96.

Uncharted 2 is UNDER rated at 96.  And is also a slightly better game than ME2.  But only slightly.

Around the Network

its as overrated at Uncharted 2 , Bioshock and Super Mario Galaxy

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

no actually its better than the first, the first is actually overrated, but its just a personal opinion since i also think Bioshock 1 and 2 are overrated.

I live for the burn...and the sting of pleasure...
I live for the sword, the steel, and the gun...

- Wasteland - The Mission.

I think it is slightly over rated. But it is a very good game. So I can understand why,

I actually enjoyed Mass Effect 2.

The PC version has a few hickups with the targeting system/identification of items and characters but it has met my expectations.

I may be a nerd, because I enjoyed planet scanning. I hated the Mako in Mass Effect. So glad Bioware did away with it.

I also feel the characters are more interesting in Mass Effect 2.

I also have one other complaint, I did feel the main mission was a little on the short side.

Hopefully, in Mass Effect 2 more details will be revealed about the elusive man and his eyes.

Sidenote - Warp, Barrier and Shockwave are my favorite abilities.

I'm not a fanboy, I just try to tip the balance in favor of logic and common sense.

Around the Network

1337 hit it I think. I was expecting my idea of perfection and BW went another way. Great game but not an open universe wrpg at all really. Excellent production values, top notch voicework and level design but it lacks some of the joy the first attempt had. They wanted dark and they did that.

If you look at the best scores on metacritic I personally think everything up there is a bit overrated.

ktchong said:

I feel that Mass Effect 2 is a much better game than Uncharted 2.  Yet they both got the same score (96) at Metacritic.  The PC version of Mass Effect 2 got only 94.  (The scores for Mass Effect 2 will most likely lower by one to 95 and 93 when all reviews come out.)

So, I could argue that Mass Effect is not overrated.  It is underrated because it is better than but got the same score as Uncharted 2.

I really think the PC version should get at least the same score as Uncharted 2. It really should be higher. I supposed PC reviewers have a higher standard than PS3 reviewers.

Or maybe it's Uncharted 2 that's overrated at 96.

I beg to differ.

Sure you may think that ME2 is better than Uncharted 2 but that does not mean it's overrated. 100 GOTY awards from places like Kotaku, IGN, Spike's VGA, VGChartz, etc  and probably 100 + Best 2009 PS3 game were awarded to Uncharted 2 with so much praise. It deserves all those GOTY awards and deserves the 96 Metacritic Score.

I also believe that ME 2 is not overrated and deserves the 96 and the critical acclaim and attention it's gaining.

I don't know what you were trying to prove but if you think you're right in your post, then I can simply say the exact same thing about ME 2 being overated because I think Uncharted 2 is a better game. Then we're both gonna argue each others opinions as to why Uncharted 2 is better than ME 2 and visa versa which isn't going to end well. So why didn't I say that ME 2 is overrated? Because it's not. Like I said, both games deserve the 96 and nothing more or nothing less.

By all means love ME 2 and think that it's the better game which is fine but don't bloody say that another game is overrated coz it's on the same score as your favourite game.

OP@ Why is linearity is such a problem?

Linearity isn't a problem. and it will not be a problem in FF13 either. People just need to complain.

Not for me, but I only liked how the story plays out.
Gameplay-wise, not many new elements.

That's Gordon Freeman in "Real-Life"

MasterHien said:

1: I definitely agree on this point, this game is NOT an RPG, its an action game for me, honestly i'av completed it twice (addicted)

the mission are very short and its has a structure of missions rather than exploration.

2: Game is short indeed, Side quests doesn't even consume much time either

3: Planet scanning was interesting at first but gets boring after a while

Great game, I loved the upgrades and its deep gameplay.

I don't think the story telling was that good, was it just me or did anyone notice how plain the facial expression was? lol it was pretty bad.

One of the best game i played this generation which is a huge accomplishment from bioware, but due to the hype i think this game is overhyped and overrated. Don't get me wrong, its just these fanboys Hyping 24/7 about how GREAT GREAT GREAT it is as if its one of the best game in the world. I enjoyed the game very much infact i even started again and ready to complete it on my 3rd try to prevent any members dieing on the suicide mission

What did you think the missions in Mass Effect were?

There were really just as linear, though I suppose they were a little longer since there were far fewer of them.  Honestly, 1-2 hour story missions are fine for me.  Remember, they tried to to streamline the game as much as possible.

I'm fine with story missions being about two hours and loyalty missions being about an hour.