By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 shipped vs. sold here on the charts.

ethomaz said:
jarrod said:
Are you high or something?  38.7 - 36.6 = 2.1, I said 2 to 3 million.

VGC had 360 36.9M at end of December... so diff 1.8 million.

VGC had PS3 30.8M at end of December... so diff 2.7 million.

VGC had Wii 65.7M at end of December... so diff 1.7 million.

The PS3 has 1M more units in shelves than Wii and 360.

The weeks don't align exactly, so those figures are adding a couple days of sales beyond the shipment reporting period.  Still, it's close enough, Wii was another virtual sellout this year (if anything, I'd say it's the platform being "undertracked"), and retail was probably much more apprehensive on 360 orders than PS3 post slim... I'm just not seeing the conspiracy here, there's nothing really out of the ordinary...

Around the Network

I agree, the PS3 seems undertracked compared to the other systems. The defense is usually that there isn't that big of a differnce with regard to areas we get lots of data from, but of course that's no surprise as the figures are generally corrected based on those.

There are plenty of areas which are difficult to track for VGChartz due to lack of data. The US, UK and Japan are relatively easy to track. Other PAL regions and the rest of the world in general far more difficult.

IMO usually PS3 stock levels were lower than 360 stock levels in the past (despite VGChartz suggesting otherwise). With the slim PS3 this seems no longer the case due to smaller boxes (easier to store).

VGchartz' estimates are also just best guesses, objectively less reliant than the data from big research firms. For example the NPD suggested the PS3 outsold the 360 last December, while VGChartz thought it would be a clear victory for the XBox 360.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Kasz216 said:
jneul said:
ethomaz said:
jarrod said:
Are you high or something?  38.7 - 36.6 = 2.1, I said 2 to 3 million.

The PS3 has 1M more units in shelves than Wii and 360.

if anything it is the wii that should have the most consoles waiting for stores and on shelves, thanks for pointing this out. how convienient they refuse to look at it from our point of view.

No... because Nintendo had to Airlift supply from January into december again.

lol wii sales were mad, and still are

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

ethomaz said:

The PS3 has 1M more units in shelves than Wii and 360... but in stores has less units than 360 and Wii... this is ironic.

In a nutshell, this is what all these 123456 threads is about. Instead of quarreling about it, let's just wait for the next 1-2 quarterly reports and see if Sony shipment numbers, for example, are resonable compared to the other two (if they overshipped by a million, it could show. On the other hand, a warning about shortages in America was issued late fall, which would speak against overshipping).

Ironically, this 1.7:1.8:2.7 ratio is what was stocked in the major stores in Switzerland in the past two months. Almost twice the amount of PS3's (mostly 250G units) than Wiis or XBoxes...