By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 shipped vs. sold here on the charts.

Microsoft announced at CES that they had shipped over 39 million; VGChartz estimates for the 360, at that time were roughly 2.5 million or so lower than that, less than 2 weeks after Christmas.

Given that information, I'd say that ~2 million on shelves at this time, for either system appears to be reasonable.

Around the Network
ethomaz said:
nightsurge said:
There were never any PS3 shortages in the US....

At the end of December??? Yes, there were (only 120GB model).

Today??? No.

SKU sellouts aren't quite the same thing.  PS3s were always available, even if it wasn't the cheaper model you wanted.

You can't reasonably say 'there were "shortages" so VGC must be undertracking' when the 250GBs were clogging up shelves...

jarrod said:
jneul said:
jarrod said:
outlawauron said:
ils411 said:
maybe, maybe not but you'll probably get replies such as

no its not
its fine
33.5 shipped, 31.7 sold, looks good to me
ever heard of warehouse, trucking and cargo ships
sony probably flooded the market to hit targets
if it is then the xbox360 is also under tracked
if you dont like it leave
and so on and so forth

anyways, good luck :P

Well, warehouses, trucks, and cargo ships aren't included. That's what Sony amended about their reporting three years ago.

Yes they are.  Units are now counted when they leave Sony for retail.  Previous "Production Shipments" also included any units off the assembly line, including unshipped retail orders and units warehoused by Sony themselves.

Sony changed their accounting method to fall in line with what Nintendo and Microsoft use (ie: sold in).

And jesus christ, not this thread again.  2-3m in channel is NORMAL people!

then why is not x360 undertacked more it should be at 36 mln according to your logic

360 was at 36.6m when Microsoft's 38.7m shipment figure applies.

no that means x360 should be alot less than that figure you just gave me, try again.  and trust me x360 was selling less than ps3 back then so it should be alot less than that.

ps3 was outselling the x360, so if anything it should be adjusted up to reflect that fact.

it's the future of handheld

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

jneul said:
jarrod said:
jneul said:
jarrod said:
outlawauron said:
ils411 said:

no its not
its fine
and so on and so forth

Well, warehouses, trucks, and cargo ships aren't included. That's what Sony amended about their reporting three years ago.

Yes they are.  Units are now counted when they leave Sony for retail.  Previous "Production Shipments" also included any units off the assembly line, including unshipped retail orders and units warehoused by Sony themselves.

Sony changed their accounting method to fall in line with what Nintendo and Microsoft use (ie: sold in).

then why is not x360 undertacked more it should be at 36 mln according to your logic

no that means x360 should be alot less than that figure you just gave me, try again.  and trust me x360 was selling less than ps3 back then so it should be alot less than that.

ps3 was outselling the x360, so if anything it should be adjusted up to reflect that fact.

Are you high or something?  38.7 - 36.6 = 2.1, I said 2 to 3 million.

This isn't about sales, it's about shipments.  Brace yourself, PS3 can be outselling 360 and also outshipping it at the same time. Mind blown?

bugrimmar said:

I dunno, the gap seems a little big..

If shipped by December 2009 is 33.52m, and sold by January 2010 is 31.76m, then there must be around 2 million PS3s on shelves (including whatever they shipped for the month of January). 2 million on shelves seems to be a lot..

Am I missing something...?

Well for one.... the like 5 threads on this.

2) Vgchartz numbers are consistant with every other tracker.

3) The PSP and PS2 numbers are off even more... however VGchartz is still in line with all the other major trackers.

In otherwords... there is still something hinky in how Sony reports it's shipped numbers.   Possibly having something to do with replacement numbers.

4) Even if it's not the case... shipments are sent by seas.  LOTS of PS3's that count as shipped haven't even hit stores yet.

Around the Network
jarrod said:
jneul said:
jarrod said:
jneul said:
jarrod said:
outlawauron said:
ils411 said:

no its not
its fine
and so on and so forth

This isn't about sales, it's about shipments.  Brace yourself, PS3 can be outselling 360 and also outshipping it at the same time. Mind blown?

jarrod said:

VGC had 360 36.9M at end of December... so diff 1.8 million.

VGC had PS3 30.8M at end of December... so diff 2.7 million.

VGC had Wii 65.7M at end of December... so diff 1.7 million.

The PS3 has 1M more units in shelves than Wii and 360... but in stores has less units than 360 and Wii... this is ironic.

jarrod said:
jneul said:
jarrod said:
jneul said:
jarrod said:
outlawauron said:
ils411 said:

no its not
its fine
and so on and so forth

No it is not mind blowing, even in that case the 2.7m figure is too big, sorry, people keep on denying this and making excuses, i am officially tired of this now.

PS VITA = LIFE

The official Vita thread http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1

ethomaz said:
jarrod said:

The PS3 has 1M more units in shelves than Wii and 360.

if anything it is the wii that should have the most consoles waiting for stores and on shelves, thanks for pointing this out. how convienient they refuse to look at it from our point of view.

PS VITA = LIFE

jneul said:
ethomaz said:
jarrod said:

The PS3 has 1M more units in shelves than Wii and 360.

if anything it is the wii that should have the most consoles waiting for stores and on shelves, thanks for pointing this out. how convienient they refuse to look at it from our point of view.

No... because Nintendo had to Airlift supply from January into december again.