By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii Photo Channel Update Coming

http://gonintendo.com/?p=29369

Around the Network

This update removes MP3 support and exchanges it with AAC. Please write Nintendo here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp to get this update changed to support MP3 as well as AAC!

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

:-\ not as great as I was hoping when I saw the title. A lot of these channels need to be updated, but not in the way Nintendo seems to think. "Replacing" MP3 support? What kind of update is that? Oh well, I haven't used photo channel in months and I guess this won't change that trend.

I'll get the update. I don't use .mp3's in the photo channel anyway. I just want to change the icon on my main screen. As long as I can still play .mp3's in Excite Truck I'm happy.

Funny thing is, first time I read the line, I was like NO MP3 SUPPORT?!!@?!? METROID PRIME 3 WHAT.!?!?!?!? ZOMG NOOOO

It was mind boggling for a second.

Favorite Companies: Nintendo, Blizzard, Valve.
Recent New Favorites: Grasshopper, Atlus. (R.I.P. Clover.)
Heroes/Homies: Shigeru Miyamoto, Gunpei Yokoi, Will Wright, Eric Chahi, Suda51, Brian Eno, David Bowie.
Haiku Group: Haiku Hell.
Nemeses: Snesboy, fkusumot. 
GameDaily Article that Interviewed Me: Console Defense Forces.

That's just strange... although I never used it for music playback, but doesn't Endless Ocean use mp3 files???

Edit: By that, I mean, will this affect games that already use mp3 files??

I am a PC gamer, and also have a NDS now, but without access to a Nintendo Wii until End of 2007.

Currently playing: Super Smash Brothers Brawl(Wii), Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer(DS), Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime (DS), WiiFit(Wii)

Games Recently Beaten: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King (Normal; Very Hard after the next DLCs become available)

1 word: RTFA

Around the Network

Its no big deal really. I doubt anyone uses the photo channel as a "jukebox" - and I suspect a real jukebox app is in development as a WiiWare title.

It could even be DRM related - maybe they will allow purchasing of AAC music at some point? (DRM attached to your Wii of course...).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Thank you. I wrote Nintendo an email. Sony took away features from the PS3 but than charged people less for the system. I highly doubt Nintendo will lower the price of the Wii in December. I still cannot understand why a company would take away features (like Apple did when it released the iTouch).

currently playing: Desktop Tower Defense (PC), Puzzle Quest (DS), Trauma Center New Blood (Wii), Guitar Hero III (Wii), Ghost Squad (Wii), Actraiser (SNES), Donkey Kong County (SNES), The Legend of Zelda (NES), Kirby's Adventure (NES)

will play next: Paper Mario (N64), Golden Axe II (Sega), NiGHTS (Wii)

Join the Ron Paul RLOVEution, support Ron Paul for president in the 2008 Republican presidential primary! http://www.ronpaul2008.com

DarkNight_DS said:
This update removes MP3 support and exchanges it with AAC. Please write Nintendo here: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform.jsp to get this update changed to support MP3 as well as AAC!

I didn't even know it was supporting MP3's to begin with *lol*.

@Rubang Bang I was thinking the exact same thing, that it was about Metroid Prime 3 as well :D

By the way, it would be nice to be able to put pictures on the flash card. I've received some pictures via the WII and can't transport them to my SD Card or anything besides throwing them away or keeping them on my WII.  

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

I can play videos and music from my Wii thanks to the Orb program, though not sure if this will change that since it uses Flash.

AAC, of course, is the format used by the iTunes Music Store, so it's very interesting that Nintendo would yank mp3 and replace it with AAC.

Is iTMS coming to the Wii? Buy songs with Wii points?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.