By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - So where's the official SMG thread?

Well I got it monday afternoon, haven't played much yet. I'm at the second set of galaxies.

So far it's been as good as I expected. Really fun, great levels and even though most of them have the overall space theme, they still feel unique. It took a little adjusting to get used to the crazy gravity changes but they are very entertaining.

I thought the star bit collection stuff would be annoying and distracting but I was totally wrong, it's actually so well done that it adds something to the experience. Much more satisfying than coin collection.

Even though the whole space setting is really new, I feel this game has more in common with the old side scrolling Marios than Mario 64 or Sunshine (other than being 3D of course) which is surprising in a good way. What do I mean? well the game is more challenging right off the bat than the start of the last two 3D Marios, which is a good thing. The threat of falling to your death comes much earlier in Galaxy and there are much fewer coins lying around.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network

Have to continue in a second post because of PS3 limits, sorry. The music is phenomenal, the new stuff and I already heard a few old Mario classics redone and they're all great. A lot more bosses than Mario games usually have and some of the best parts so far have been bossfights which is defininitely different from Mario 64. The controls are great, mostly traditional, but the motion stuff: spin attack, star shooting and star bit collecting are spot on. My only complaints so far are 2: camera issues (you can't control the cam, even Mario 64 had that) and the manta ray riding controls were just awful, I really hope the aren't many other surfing parts. The game looks amazing and I am really pissed that I hadn't bought the 480p cables for Wii yet so I just ordered them. That's the reason I haven't played the game much more than I have, gonna play it slowly for a couple of days till those get here so I can fully enjoy the visuals. This was the game I bought the Wii for and it's already justified my decision.

So has anyone tried the two-player coop yet? I'm hoping to get my gf to stick around for this one. The only game she likes to watch is Zack and Wiki. Hopefully it has a high involvement/low frustration level for her.

Man, I'm gonna get my copy in a few hours. I'm pretty stoked about it really. This is the game that sold me on the wii to begin with.

I've played it twice at gamestop, each time getting six or so of the beginning stars. I have to admit I was underwhelmed the first time, but the going back after spending a little more time I started seeing its genius (along with getting a better handle on the controls.) My initial concern was with the fact that the spin-jump had been removed and the reverse-flip was little more sticky to pull off. But I got over it after a little play. Gonna be awesome.

It's funny, the first time I played Sunshine was at a gamestop kiosk, and at that time I thought it was the most amazing game ever, until I actually spent some time with the game. By the time I beat it I felt it was probably the worst canonical mario game ever. Seems my initial versus lasting impressions of these two games could be quite the opposite.

Long jump is back!!!

I haven't tried them but if she is looking for a secondary role as a helper then it should be satisfying because she will help a lot by stunning enemies and collecting star bits. The 2nd player role in this game is ideal for ppl who aren't gamers but wanna feel like they are doing something. Also the game will be a lot easier for you :)

Around the Network

Thanks ck...I don't think I want it to be easier for me, but it's worth the trade-off.

Welcome back, btw.

nice ckmlb....damn i have to wait till Friday.

Awwww,and to think that i can't play the game until Christmas :(....Not to mention that i can't play MP3 either......Medal of Honor heroes 2 as well.....Resident Evil :UC........Eledees*sobs*..............Not to mention that most of those games can't be bought in Poland........and amazon doesn't deliver to my country although we're in the UE*starts crying like a baby* .

Deep into the darkness pearing

Long i stood there

Wondering

Fearing

Doubting.