1. definitely don't change the setting of the game. completely changing the setting would be terrible and would completely take away the fact that it is a zelda game. nothing wrong with reinventing hyrule or something that at least stays close, not every zelda game is set in hyrule afterall.
2. much harder bosses and enemies in my mind is THE most important thing, that is the only bad thing about the zelda series since it hit 3d, enemies way to easy. i'm playing through a link to the past right now (somehow i never played it before! i know that is insane) and its definitely harder than the more recent stuff. next zelda game would benefit greatly from being the hardest one in the the series.
3. more options for weapons and items would be nice too perhaps.
4. nothing wrong with taking a page from some of the rpgs these days that are having things you do in the game actually effect the outcome of the story/plot/ending/the way you play the game. i guess a less linear path.
5. lastly, ground up zelda needs what we all thought of and have been waiting for since the wii controller was first announced: 1 to 1 motion controls. being able to swing the sword in exactly the direction you are swinging the controller and having some great enemy AI so that real awesome sword fights are possible against enemies with weapons: blocking blows, looking for openings, knocking the weapon out of their hands by hitting them just right on the arm or something. if the wii is really capable of 1 to 1 motion this game NEEDS to have it. if not, then at least as close to 1to1 as possible with the current technology. definitely needs to be a lot better than just the A button being mapped to flicking the controller.
also i really like the idea of a war. say a war torn and ravaged hyrule with the oppressed hylians looking to Link as the hero that will lead them. i first thought of that idea back when i first played ocarina of time and boy that would be awesome.
end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million, 360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million
Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus
Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy