Quantcast
Famitsu Sales: W44, 2019 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: W44, 2019 (Oct 28 - Nov 03)

Marth said:
It's pretty clear that PS5 will be more expensive than Switch and PS4 / PS4 Pro at launch which almost guarantees a rocky start.
And they would need at least one launch title that goes well with the japanese audicence.

Nintendo showed that pretty well with the BotW, MK8D and Splatoon 2 combo in the first few months of the system.
Especially Splatoon carried a lot of early momentum.

I don't think either Monster Hunter World 2 or Dragon Quest 12 will be ready for launch.
A new Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts is also pretty much out of the question.
They will get ports in the best case but the selling power of late ports in Japan is pretty low.
Especially because the first batch of PS5 owners will be enthusiasts that probably already have a PS4 and the games.
The talks about backwards compability, while good for the consumer, will also make it even harder for the new console.

While I am confident that the PS5 will be a worldwide success, the japanese market will be pretty harsh.

Well said. And 100% true. The ps5 will be doa in Japan.

 Not even a blip on the radar. It's all switch, all the time there. Sony can't challenge their dominance there. Now, Nintendo needs to get their ass in gear in the UK to challenge Sony there to make a real run at the title. 



Just an old man, a family man, and a gamer. My family is more important to me then life itself. 

Around the Network
SwitchUP said:

Well said. And 100% true. The ps5 will be doa in Japan.

 Not even a blip on the radar. It's all switch, all the time there. Sony can't challenge their dominance there. Now, Nintendo needs to get their ass in gear in the UK to challenge Sony there to make a real run at the title. 

Yup. I actually expect PS5 to be the first console ever to sell negative numbers in Japan. What I'm saying is that I think Japanese gamers will import PS5 from South Korea and return it in Japan just to show Sony how DOA it is.



Just got a look at the top 30. BotW is now above Link's Awakening on the charts. I was told that Link's Awakening would eat into BotW's legs. So much for that happening. BotW is like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going....



Marth said:
It's pretty clear that PS5 will be more expensive than Switch and PS4 / PS4 Pro at launch which almost guarantees a rocky start.
And they would need at least one launch title that goes well with the japanese audicence.

Nintendo showed that pretty well with the BotW, MK8D and Splatoon 2 combo in the first few months of the system.
Especially Splatoon carried a lot of early momentum.

I don't think either Monster Hunter World 2 or Dragon Quest 12 will be ready for launch.
A new Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts is also pretty much out of the question.
They will get ports in the best case but the selling power of late ports in Japan is pretty low.
Especially because the first batch of PS5 owners will be enthusiasts that probably already have a PS4 and the games.
The talks about backwards compability, while good for the consumer, will also make it even harder for the new console.

While I am confident that the PS5 will be a worldwide success, the japanese market will be pretty harsh.

Last edited by Agente42 - on 07 November 2019

Agente42 said:
Marth said:
It's pretty clear that PS5 will be more expensive than Switch and PS4 / PS4 Pro at launch which almost guarantees a rocky start.
And they would need at least one launch title that goes well with the japanese audicence.

Nintendo showed that pretty well with the BotW, MK8D and Splatoon 2 combo in the first few months of the system.
Especially Splatoon carried a lot of early momentum.

I don't think either Monster Hunter World 2 or Dragon Quest 12 will be ready for launch.
A new Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts is also pretty much out of the question.
They will get ports in the best case but the selling power of late ports in Japan is pretty low.
Especially because the first batch of PS5 owners will be enthusiasts that probably already have a PS4 and the games.
The talks about backwards compability, while good for the consumer, will also make it even harder for the new console.

While I am confident that the PS5 will be a worldwide success, the japanese market will be pretty harsh.

Man, DQ 12 not  Sony proprietary. Neither Final Fantasy or Monster Hunter. Sony don't have one real exclusive japanese centric game. Capcom fours years to develop Monster Hunter for consoles. 

DQ 12 will be Switch exclusivity. The worse situation, Switch/Ps4. 



Around the Network
SwitchUP said:
Marth said:
It's pretty clear that PS5 will be more expensive than Switch and PS4 / PS4 Pro at launch which almost guarantees a rocky start.
And they would need at least one launch title that goes well with the japanese audicence.

Nintendo showed that pretty well with the BotW, MK8D and Splatoon 2 combo in the first few months of the system.
Especially Splatoon carried a lot of early momentum.

I don't think either Monster Hunter World 2 or Dragon Quest 12 will be ready for launch.
A new Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts is also pretty much out of the question.
They will get ports in the best case but the selling power of late ports in Japan is pretty low.
Especially because the first batch of PS5 owners will be enthusiasts that probably already have a PS4 and the games.
The talks about backwards compability, while good for the consumer, will also make it even harder for the new console.

While I am confident that the PS5 will be a worldwide success, the japanese market will be pretty harsh.

Well said. And 100% true. The ps5 will be doa in Japan.

 Not even a blip on the radar. It's all switch, all the time there. Sony can't challenge their dominance there. Now, Nintendo needs to get their ass in gear in the UK to challenge Sony there to make a real run at the title. 

Europe's market is not only UK. Nintendo needs to focus in Germany, France, and Spain. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 08 November 2019

The reason PS4 sold at least this well is no real competition and Vita crossover factor combined. If a company wanted a decent global footing it was either 3ds or PS4. And thouse two were vastly different.
Now a company can just ignore the ps4, get slightly less sales abroad, and potentially save a bunch of time/money that would go into a port.



PS5 will have its work cut out for it, but I don't think it's predetermined that it will perform poorly in Japan.

It'll still get most of the the big Japanese games to itself regardless of whether it makes sense to do so. Switch could sell 5 times as much as PS5 and devs like Crapcom would still favour PS5.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 08 November 2019

curl-6 said:

PS5 will have its work cut out for it, but I don't think it's predetermined that it will perform poorly in Japan.

It'll still get most of the the big Japanese games to itself regardless of whether it makes sense to do so. Switch could sell 5 times as much as PS5 and devs like Capcom would still favour PS5.

Yeah. But Square Enix doesn't make the craziness of DQ XI again.  Dragon Quest will launch multiplatform, focus in plataform leader. 



The_Liquid_Laser said:
Just got a look at the top 30. BotW is now above Link's Awakening on the charts. I was told that Link's Awakening would eat into BotW's legs. So much for that happening. BotW is like the energizer bunny. It just keeps going and going....

One is a remake, another is one the best game of the decade. 

Last edited by Agente42 - on 08 November 2019