Quantcast
New official info on PS5, launching next holiday

Forums - Sony Discussion - New official info on PS5, launching next holiday

Dulfite said:
Kinda carrying this subtopic over from another thread regarding PS4. Any idea on when the first controllers will launch that are more similar to their Xbox third party variations? I can't stand official PS controllers, but I could be a day one buyer of ps5 if there are good third party options.



You don't like the analog sticks placement?

I doubt they would change that, that's their trademark, and even Google is copying that for Stadia controller.



Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Kinda carrying this subtopic over from another thread regarding PS4. Any idea on when the first controllers will launch that are more similar to their Xbox third party variations? I can't stand official PS controllers, but I could be a day one buyer of ps5 if there are good third party options.

PS4 official third party controllers will VERY likely work just fine with the PS5.



Radek said:
Dulfite said:
Kinda carrying this subtopic over from another thread regarding PS4. Any idea on when the first controllers will launch that are more similar to their Xbox third party variations? I can't stand official PS controllers, but I could be a day one buyer of ps5 if there are good third party options.



You don't like the analog sticks placement?

I doubt they would change that, that's their trademark, and even Google is copying that for Stadia controller.

I don't, but that isn't even my main issues. I hate the top button placements. Have since ps1



Intrinsic said:
Random_Matt said:
Only allowed partial installs, perhaps you don't even get 1TB.

Yup... thats not twisting the facts at all.

EricHiggin said:

If they are going SSD only, then they almost have to be swappable, so that's not all that big a deal then. Other than the fact that if they are custom like has been mentioned already, then you'll probably have no choice but to get a larger PS branded SSD, which will cost more, most likely.While they still have much to announce, as of right now, it almost sounds as if they want to get away from HDD's altogether. Partial game installs seems logical in general, yet they didn't do it with PS4, and I don't see why they couldn't have. PS4 with it's single 500GB launch model, could have certainly used this feature.

This could mean two launch models though. Maybe $499 for the 500GB SSD and $549 for the 1000GB SSD?

And thats how misinformation spreads. Don't listen to him.

They aren't "only allowing partial installs"... Partial installs is an optional feature. So you don't have to wait for your whole game to install before you start playing it or even better so you don't have to keep components of a game you aren't playing anymore on your SSD. Its just more granular management. And its good considering a game will take up like 50-100GB. 

And not a chance in hell that a 500GB SKU is an option. Especially when you consider that in 2020 a 1TB SSD will cost them about as much as they paid for a 500GB HDD in 2013.

I didn't take it that way to begin with. Partial installs do make you wonder about how much space there will be available. 500GB does seem like cutting it more than just close, but 1000GB seems a lot like the PS4 500GB launch in terms of file sizes, and that wasn't exactly generous. Next gen game files will be more efficient due to much less duplication of data, but you're still likely going to end up with 75GB-100GB+ files for AAA next gen titles.

thismeintiel said:
EricHiggin said:

Well PS4 and it's SATA II and 5400RPM HDD weren't exactly bleeding edge in 2013, so. Even Pro and it's SATA III came with a 5400RPM drive.

While they still have much to announce, as of right now, it almost sounds as if they want to get away from HDD's altogether. Partial game installs seems logical in general, yet they didn't do it with PS4, and I don't see why they couldn't have. PS4 with it's single 500GB launch model, could have certainly used this feature.

If they are going SSD only, then they almost have to be swappable, so that's not all that big a deal then. Other than the fact that if they are custom like has been mentioned already, then you'll probably have no choice but to get a larger PS branded SSD, which will cost more, most likely.

This could mean two launch models though. Maybe $499 for the 500GB SSD and $549 for the 1000GB SSD?

Technically, you could do it on PS4.  It would ask you which part of the game you wished to install first when you were downloading a game.  In theory, you could stop the download after it installed either part.  Though, maybe this is going to work on disc games, too.

You've got a point, but who's really going to go to that trouble? I never thought about it until now, and I'd bet the overwhelming majority wouldn't have either. The fact it's mentioned along with the SSD, makes it seem less like a worthy new feature, which it would be, but at least somewhat of a necessity due to what may be seen as a lack of high speed storage. Which may or may not be seen as a problem when gamers actually get their hands on it. We'll see.

Random_Matt said:
EricHiggin said:

Well PS4 and it's SATA II and 5400RPM HDD weren't exactly bleeding edge in 2013, so. Even Pro and it's SATA III came with a 5400RPM drive.

While they still have much to announce, as of right now, it almost sounds as if they want to get away from HDD's altogether. Partial game installs seems logical in general, yet they didn't do it with PS4, and I don't see why they couldn't have. PS4 with it's single 500GB launch model, could have certainly used this feature.

If they are going SSD only, then they almost have to be swappable, so that's not all that big a deal then. Other than the fact that if they are custom like has been mentioned already, then you'll probably have no choice but to get a larger PS branded SSD, which will cost more, most likely.

This could mean two launch models though. Maybe $499 for the 500GB SSD and $549 for the 1000GB SSD?

You just reminded me of the Vita memory prices, Sony cannot possibly go there again.

Nope, but they could offer upgrades, like memory cards if we go back to the PS2 days. The network/HDD adapter was through PS as well wasn't it? As long as the price was reasonable they could probably sell a worthy amount, but reasonable pricing for accessories or add ons isn't really typical in gaming. Unless they figure you can just wait for the mid gen upgrade with a much larger SSD, or maybe they will drop an SSD upgraded console every other year?

Trumpstyle said:
drkohler said:

The 500G hd was/is about $22-$24. I highly doubt you'll ever get a (superfast) 500G SSD for that price, ever. With all this "save space" talk from Cerny, I still think there could be a "run of the mill" (as big as you want) hd sitting behind a relatively small (superfast) SSD (128-256GB). You would then selectively install your game key files from the hdd onto the SSD (probably no more than 2-4 games at the same time). That sounds the most economical, the SoC is already expensive enough...

Did you miss this in the article? "like the PS5, it will ditch the spinning hard drive for a solid-state drive." There is no ANCIENT drive in the next-gen console.

"Right now I believe PS5 will launch Spring 2020 at 399$ with 3,2ghz zen 2 cpu that has 8 core and 16 threads, Navi at 9TF likely vega 56 performance, 12 GB Gddr6 Ram on a 192-bit bus and 1TB NVMe SSD drive." - Trumpstyle on 27 January 2019

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8961611

I called the NVMe drive already in Jan this year we now in November and u still stuck on ancient spinning disc. HDD + SSD combo DOESN'T WORK. I gave up on it a long time ago, I don't know where Vivster and pemalite are now they also been stuck on HDD + SSD combo for long time despite the combo doesn't work.

It could be that the console will have the SSD soldered right to the mobo, and there will be no internal space for an HDD. That way they wouldn't be lying by saying their focused on SSD for next gen. It doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to plug in an external HDD, so you don't have to delete everything to make new space.

For someone like myself, even a 1000GB SSD, with no other storage back up would suck big time. My 5.0mbps net takes forever sometimes to just download sizable game updates, so even if the optical drive is much faster in terms of transfer speeds, since I would likely have to update again, it could take a long time before I'm gaming. Having an external HDD to hold sections or entire games, plus the updates or DLC, makes a ton of sense to me. A 15 to 20 minute transfer from HDD to SSD would be remarkably faster then waiting hours or until the next day to play something, that I already waited for prior.

I mentioned quite a while ago in another thread, if the PS app could allow you to swap games while away from home, you could have the console transfer game data before you get back so it's ready to go when you arrive.



The Canadian National Anthem According To Justin Trudeau

 

Oh planet Earth! The home of native lands, 
True social law, in all of us demand.
With cattle farts, we view sea rise,
Our North sinking slowly.
From far and snide, oh planet Earth, 
Our healthcare is yours free!
Science save our land, harnessing the breeze,
Oh planet Earth, smoke weed and ferment yeast.
Oh planet Earth, ell gee bee queue and tee.

I cant wait to get the pro version



REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

Around the Network
Dulfite said:
Kinda carrying this subtopic over from another thread regarding PS4. Any idea on when the first controllers will launch that are more similar to their Xbox third party variations? I can't stand official PS controllers, but I could be a day one buyer of ps5 if there are good third party options.



I hope Sony don't ever decide to invert the stick and d-pad to look like Xbox.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

EricHiggin said:
Intrinsic said:

Yup... thats not twisting the facts at all.

And thats how misinformation spreads. Don't listen to him.

They aren't "only allowing partial installs"... Partial installs is an optional feature. So you don't have to wait for your whole game to install before you start playing it or even better so you don't have to keep components of a game you aren't playing anymore on your SSD. Its just more granular management. And its good considering a game will take up like 50-100GB. 

And not a chance in hell that a 500GB SKU is an option. Especially when you consider that in 2020 a 1TB SSD will cost them about as much as they paid for a 500GB HDD in 2013.

I didn't take it that way to begin with. Partial installs do make you wonder about how much space there will be available. 500GB does seem like cutting it more than just close, but 1000GB seems a lot like the PS4 500GB launch in terms of file sizes, and that wasn't exactly generous. Next gen game files will be more efficient due to much less duplication of data, but you're still likely going to end up with 75GB-100GB+ files for AAA next gen titles.

thismeintiel said:

Technically, you could do it on PS4.  It would ask you which part of the game you wished to install first when you were downloading a game.  In theory, you could stop the download after it installed either part.  Though, maybe this is going to work on disc games, too.

You've got a point, but who's really going to go to that trouble? I never thought about it until now, and I'd bet the overwhelming majority wouldn't have either. The fact it's mentioned along with the SSD, makes it seem less like a worthy new feature, which it would be, but at least somewhat of a necessity due to what may be seen as a lack of high speed storage. Which may or may not be seen as a problem when gamers actually get their hands on it. We'll see.

Random_Matt said:

You just reminded me of the Vita memory prices, Sony cannot possibly go there again.

Nope, but they could offer upgrades, like memory cards if we go back to the PS2 days. The network/HDD adapter was through PS as well wasn't it? As long as the price was reasonable they could probably sell a worthy amount, but reasonable pricing for accessories or add ons isn't really typical in gaming. Unless they figure you can just wait for the mid gen upgrade with a much larger SSD, or maybe they will drop an SSD upgraded console every other year?

Trumpstyle said:

Did you miss this in the article? "like the PS5, it will ditch the spinning hard drive for a solid-state drive." There is no ANCIENT drive in the next-gen console.

"Right now I believe PS5 will launch Spring 2020 at 399$ with 3,2ghz zen 2 cpu that has 8 core and 16 threads, Navi at 9TF likely vega 56 performance, 12 GB Gddr6 Ram on a 192-bit bus and 1TB NVMe SSD drive." - Trumpstyle on 27 January 2019

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8961611

I called the NVMe drive already in Jan this year we now in November and u still stuck on ancient spinning disc. HDD + SSD combo DOESN'T WORK. I gave up on it a long time ago, I don't know where Vivster and pemalite are now they also been stuck on HDD + SSD combo for long time despite the combo doesn't work.

It could be that the console will have the SSD soldered right to the mobo, and there will be no internal space for an HDD. That way they wouldn't be lying by saying their focused on SSD for next gen. It doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to plug in an external HDD, so you don't have to delete everything to make new space.

For someone like myself, even a 1000GB SSD, with no other storage back up would suck big time. My 5.0mbps net takes forever sometimes to just download sizable game updates, so even if the optical drive is much faster in terms of transfer speeds, since I would likely have to update again, it could take a long time before I'm gaming. Having an external HDD to hold sections or entire games, plus the updates or DLC, makes a ton of sense to me. A 15 to 20 minute transfer from HDD to SSD would be remarkably faster then waiting hours or until the next day to play something, that I already waited for prior.

I mentioned quite a while ago in another thread, if the PS app could allow you to swap games while away from home, you could have the console transfer game data before you get back so it's ready to go when you arrive.

Don't remember a single PS4 game that the single player you need to wait download of update to start playing.



duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:
Kinda carrying this subtopic over from another thread regarding PS4. Any idea on when the first controllers will launch that are more similar to their Xbox third party variations? I can't stand official PS controllers, but I could be a day one buyer of ps5 if there are good third party options.



I hope Sony don't ever decide to invert the stick and d-pad to look like Xbox.

preach

best controller design with dualshock 



Trumpstyle said:
Barkley said:

Main Points:

Hardware-Level Ray Tracing not Software

100GB Optical Disks

Dualshock 5 with adaptive triggers (that can offer varying levels of resistance) and haptic feedback.

It's called PlayStation 5 and not PlayStation One.

You missed this "like the PS5, it will ditch the spinning hard drive for a solid-state drive."

The discussion about mechanical hard drive + ssd vs only ssd is over, it will be 1TB SSD.

Edit: Or to be more accurate 1TB NVMe drive probably 4+ GB/s speed.

So does that mean NVME drives will be a requirement on PC starting next year? Or will 3rd parties continue to design their games around regular HDD so they don’t leave the vast majority of PC gamers behind?



DonFerrari said:
Dulfite said:
Kinda carrying this subtopic over from another thread regarding PS4. Any idea on when the first controllers will launch that are more similar to their Xbox third party variations? I can't stand official PS controllers, but I could be a day one buyer of ps5 if there are good third party options.

I hope Sony don't ever decide to invert the stick and d-pad to look like Xbox.

They won't, symmetry is love.