Quantcast
Can Avengers: Endgame take the #1 spot beating Avatar? ...It just did !!!!

Forums - Movies Discussion - Can Avengers: Endgame take the #1 spot beating Avatar? ...It just did !!!!

Will Avengers:Endgame beat Avatar?

Yes 68 80.00%
 
No 17 20.00%
 
Total:85
V-r0cK said:
Currently:
Avatar: $2.788 Billion
Avengers Endgame: $2.713 Billion

Endgame got another +$25m from last week, needs another $75m to go.

Hoping that Avengers can at least stay in theatre for the whole summer which should hopefully beat Avatar by then. Crazy how times change where Avatar has been in theaters for 34 weeks while Avengers has only been out for about 5 weeks and feels like it wont stay in theater anywhere near as long as Avatar did.

Times really haven't changed much.  At least not in the past 10 years.  In that time, movies have typically relied on supersaturated opening weekends 

However, there is one notable exception.  Movies released around the holidays tend to linger.  This is a combination of many schools and offices being closed for many days around Thanksgiving and Christmas as well as October and January surrounding them as the box office's slowest release periods.  Because of that, you see movies like Frozen (and a ton of other animated movies), The Force Awakens, Jumanji, and even Aquaman last year lingering for some time.

Avatar, of course, broke even that.  For some reason James Cameron's movies are able to do that.  Titanic and Avatar are both easily the blockbusters with the best legs since the 80s when studios opened their movies more slowly, let the audience build, and it wasn't unusual to see a movie still in theaters six months later.

The closest summer movie I can think of that lingered like that semi-recently was The Phantom Menace 20 years ago.  A film that, oddly enough, got a reputation for being a movie that fell off a cliff.  Partially that came from simple blind backlash.  And part of it came from being compared to Titanic, which had unfathomable legs.  It only made a moderate even at its time $28.6 million its opening weekend in December (only a couple million ahead of the Bond movie releasing that weekend), but held and stayed the #1 movie until April where it was still making over $10 million every weekend.  It actually gained theaters every single week for its first 15 weeks of release.



Around the Network

64M to go, will be tough but it's still possible.

Beatin Star Wars VII in the US however will not be possible anymore - daily figures have dropped below those of the previous Avengers movies.



According to Forbes, it might not happen:https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/06/03/avengers-endgame-avatar-star-wars-force-awakens-james-cameron-disney-box-office/#316cb6ba879a

Looks like it lost steam just shy of its goal.

In slightly unrelated news, I am astounded by how much Avatar money made and how little pop cultural impact it had. The only time people ever speak of it is for sales numbers. It was truly just a graphics hype. I don't expect its sequels to come close to its numbers.



It's a lock to finish below Avatar now, the holds just aren't there for it to perform over. It will happen with an eventual re-release.



I guess the competition (i.e., Detective Pikachu, John Wick: Chapter 3, Aladdin, Godzilla: King of the Monsters, etc.) were more than enough to slow down Endgame.
Regardless if it was able to pass Avatar or not, Endgame's incredible run to $2.7 billion and 2nd all-time in box office gross is nothing short of incredible. A lot of people expected big numbers, but probably not to this extent. It shows that the MCU's brand power is even stronger now and any popular movie series can reach such potential with the right marketing, the right production team, the right casting, and the right execution. It's difficult, but it can be done if given the type of care the MCU was given. Hell, I am not sure if anyone would have ever thought Avatar's record would have come close to being broken, let alone almost past by a comic book superhero movie, which have had their success stories, but nothing like what the MCU was able to develop.



Around the Network

[see above] agreed.

When taken as a whole, the entirety of the MCU dominates. There's some major records out there.

Go Marvel!! Em-Eye-See-Kay-EE-Why Em-Oh-You-Ess-EE



Fallawful said:

In slightly unrelated news, I am astounded by how much Avatar money made and how little pop cultural impact it had. The only time people ever speak of it is for sales numbers. It was truly just a graphics hype. I don't expect its sequels to come close to its numbers.

Is this actually true, though? Most moviegoers liked the movie. It will spawn four sequels, stage pieces, theme park attractions and shaped the movie industry for years with 3D.

I'm not sure what some folks actually expect. How often is any of the blockbuster movies of the past decade discussed? At most there'll be a Joker or LOTR meme here and there if the conversation is geekish enough... and these are from multiple-movie franchises.



 

 

 

 

 

haxxiy said:
 

How often is any of the blockbuster movies of the past decade discussed? At most there'll be a Joker or LOTR meme here and there if the conversation is geekish enough...

There's a 4 quip minimum here, per hour.  Or you get kicked out of the club.  Then, we'll invite you back in, just so we can kick you out again. 

j/k j/k!!  :)

[edit: we don't talk about the club, either.  there is no club.]

Last edited by Mospeada21CA - on 03 June 2019

haxxiy said:
Fallawful said:

In slightly unrelated news, I am astounded by how much Avatar money made and how little pop cultural impact it had. The only time people ever speak of it is for sales numbers. It was truly just a graphics hype. I don't expect its sequels to come close to its numbers.

Is this actually true, though? Most moviegoers liked the movie. It will spawn four sequels, stage pieces, theme park attractions and shaped the movie industry for years with 3D.

I'm not sure what some folks actually expect. How often is any of the blockbuster movies of the past decade discussed? At most there'll be a Joker or LOTR meme here and there if the conversation is geekish enough... and these are from multiple-movie franchises.

Sequels have been declared but we have no idea whether they will succeed or not. The first movie was successful because of its technical achievements, which cannot be scoffed at, but it does mean that it wasn't necessarily successful due to the design, story, and quality of the movie itself. 

I wasn't referring to pop culture as online discussion necessarily; when I mean a pop cultural impact I mean references to it from other media sources as well; like shows, movies, podcasts, Late Night shows, and so on. Comedians, mainstream nerds, and others still refer to Lord of the Rings regularly; and Titanic is still referred to in shows and sketches. Beyond references in other shows, movies like Gone with the Wind are still quoted, and you can see how the mood and aesthetic of the movie influenced other movies that followed. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is, for the best-selling movie of all time, like was Gone of the Wind before it, Avatar did not influence a lot of media that came after it. It was the first to do 3D very, very well - but that is not about the artistic value of the movie itself but rather it was the first to capitalise on the advancement of technology. The story, aesthetics, atmosphere of Avatar really did not leave an impression. You can't really trace its DNA in other movies and media after it. I find this interesting because, again, its technically #1. Endgame for sure has a larger cultural impact than Avatar ever had. 



Fallawful said:
According to Forbes, it might not happen:https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/06/03/avengers-endgame-avatar-star-wars-force-awakens-james-cameron-disney-box-office/#316cb6ba879a

Looks like it lost steam just shy of its goal.

In slightly unrelated news, I am astounded by how much Avatar money made and how little pop cultural impact it had. The only time people ever speak of it is for sales numbers. It was truly just a graphics hype. I don't expect its sequels to come close to its numbers.

That just shows it sold on 3D hype/word of mouth and nothing else. The only thing people will remember is that it's the one with the blue alien things. MAYBE they will remember that they were called the Navi, but that's it. No one remembers character names or quotes that film. It's amazing that Cameron thinks he'll spend the rest of his life making Avatar sequels. If he's lucky, the 2nd one will make half as much as the 1st.