Quantcast
RPG games with insane random encounters?

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - RPG games with insane random encounters?

Final Fantasy 7 remake should be

Turn based RPG 39 67.24%
 
Action RPG 19 32.76%
 
Total:58

I personally hate random encounters.



Around the Network

That odd RPG system (random encounters)... It somehow destroys a whole game. Reason?

1. Making atmosphere look lifeless, you can't see bad people and monsters roaming around.
2. Cannot tell which one/what you want, meaning your decision gets confused as hell.
3. Trying to escape from the enemies if you don't want to fight or grind? Good luck, you'll get encountered quickly just 1-3 steps and sometime they won't leave you alone, which means you'll get delayed for main/side quests what you hope for.

Sorry if i sound like AVGN.



Battletag: Quakecore89#1866 / GOG: AMDFX89 / PSN: QuakeCore_89 / Xbox Live Tag: QuakeCore89 / NS: SW-7937-5976-6855

Current PCs: -PC 2017(Ryzen 7 3700X/32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM/GeForce RTX 2060 6GB/Crucial 250GB M.2(Boot) Kingston 1TB SSD(Storage))

You could also name this thread "Xenogears the thread". Disk one had a good balance of going through dungeons and going through cities, cutscenes, ect. Disk 2 is hour long cutscene followed by hours of same-y looking dungeons that were needlessly long and really turned up the random encounter rate by 1000%, I imagine so you wouldn't be under leveled for the final boss, but some of these dungeons were ridiculous, and it was literally go through this gigantic dungeon then watch an hour long cutscene, wash, rinse, repeat. It was tiresome and seemed like the second disk took forever despite being a lot shorter in play time to the first.


This is why despite the story being arguably better, I prefer Xenoblade Chronicles ( and X) as a whole when talking about best games in the series.



I never liked random encounters in turn-based RPG's. I just chose to tolerate them because I enjoyed the rest of the game. I glad developers have moved away from that. I get that they force you to level up or, whatever lame excuse. But I rather have the option to jump into a battle when I want to.

As for FFVII Remake I'll wait until I know more about the combat system.

Last edited by Eric2048 - on 21 November 2018

I used to like random encounters when I was younger, but right now I would not be able to play a game with random encounters. 

I just bought FFXII for PS4 and actually really enjoyed it because there are no random encounters.



Around the Network
LMU Uncle Alfred said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Actually their sales have fallen off because they stopped doing a lot of this stuff.  Final Fantasy X is the 2nd best selling FF game, and it was the last to include turn-based random encounters.  They should try getting back to their roots.

 

If we're talking JRPG sales in general, they've fallen off mostly because they just aren't getting made as much anymore.  Leaving aside Pokemon (which I feel is never considered a traditional RPG anyways) the FF series sales have been consistently in the 7-9 million range.  Since FF7, and with the exception of FFIX and FFXII, all of them have sold between 7-9 million roughly.  I don't know about XI, but I believe XIV is up there now.

 DQXI from what I have heard is actually one of the highest selling DQ games in the NA region now.

2nd best selling if I remember right.



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

burninmylight said:

I'll add another complaint: Battle systems that drain your MP too quickly and force you to conserve your MP-restoring potions in dungeons, so you have to primarily stick to boring basic attacks until you get to a boss.

 

For me, random encounters aren't the problem. I prefer seeing enemies on a field map, but I can live with a game that has a decent encounter rate and escape rate. The real problem I have is grinding. It doesn't matter whether I can choose when to battle or not if I'm forced to choose to repeatedly and mindlessly battle to get past a boss or area that has a sudden jump in enemy levels and stats. That is an issue with a game's pacing and design, not with the way battles are encountered.

I played Tales of Phantasia on my GBA last year (started in 2016), and I could not agree more with your thoughts. I saw it through to the end, but I will never touch that game in its current form again. Random encounter rate out the ass, slowest paced battle system I have ever seen in my life (imagine an action-stopping FFVII summon every single time one of your party members, who is mandatorily in your party for more than half the game, casts a spell, and about 40 percent of the time for another party member), an MP (or TP)-based system like the one I mentioned above, and like many SNES RPGs, a horrible world map traversing system using Mode 7 that makes you waste more time guessing where to land than just walking there yourself (that would be true if not for the random encounter rate). I'm currently playing Tales of Graces f on the PS3, and I'm loving the battle system in it, and wondering if I can ever go back to the TP system in other Tales games now.

I'm glad im not the only one.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Snoorlax said:

turn based fighting

linearity

too much reading

cliche characters and stories

too much anime

bad voice acting 

 and the worst of all random encounters.

 

All of these are what most western gamers dislike about Japanese RPGs and is why they have fallen from the top since the 7th generation. 

Actually their sales have fallen off because they stopped doing a lot of this stuff.  Final Fantasy X is the 2nd best selling FF game, and it was the last to include turn-based random encounters.  They should try getting back to their roots.

I dont think so, most tradtional rpgs and JRPGs in general these days are niche or lesser known games that generally aren't big in the West.

Final Fantasy and Pokemon are big names that sell well no matter what.

The fact that JRPGs have moved away from these elements says shows Western RPGs mainstream success. The Souls games and Bloodborne sell better in the west despite being JRPGs.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Actually their sales have fallen off because they stopped doing a lot of this stuff.  Final Fantasy X is the 2nd best selling FF game, and it was the last to include turn-based random encounters.  They should try getting back to their roots.

 

If we're talking JRPG sales in general, they've fallen off mostly because they just aren't getting made as much anymore.  Leaving aside Pokemon (which I feel is never considered a traditional RPG anyways) the FF series sales have been consistently in the 7-9 million range.  Since FF7, and with the exception of FFIX and FFXII, all of them have sold between 7-9 million roughly.  I don't know about XI, but I believe XIV is up there now.

 DQXI from what I have heard is actually one of the highest selling DQ games in the NA region now.

Disagree. Traditional JRPGs dont sell well in the west. Western RPGs have taken over and sell better each generation, i'm not saying they're better but it shows that mainstream gamers are more interested towards Western RPGs. Pokemon and Final Fantasy have always been good sellers in the west especially in the Playstation era but Dragon Quest has never been a big seller in the West not even DQ11 has done good numbers in the west.

forest-spirit said:
Random encounters can be extremely tedious when they're too frequent. I don't have a problem with them per se, though I prefer having the enemies visible as it gives more strategic options, but I enjoy exploring levels and trying to find all treasures and secrets, and nothing kills the excitement of exploration as effectively as constant interuption by battles (especially in combination with slow battle systems and long transitions). Forced battles isn't exclusive to games with random encounters but unless other games have ridiculous spawn rates and enemy density you will at the very least be able to clear a path through or sneak around the enemies.

Tales of Phantasia is a good example of a game where the encounters can ruin the experience. It's not a bad game as far as I'm concerned but it did take me several attempts before finishing because the encounter rate made me lose interest and eventually stop playing.

It's truly a great game even with it's flawed fighting system but the encounters really ruined the game for me.

Illusion said:

Honestly, I really enjoy classic RPG's with very high random encounter rates as long as level grinding my characters enables them to beat bosses later with relative ease. What I can't stand is spending hours level grinding through a dungeon only to get to a boss where there is some kind of special trick or tactic that needs to be discovered that requires your party to die a few times before you can actually beat the boss regardless of your level. The reward for level grinding should be the ability to easily beat bosses, otherwise there is really no point.

 

I think westerners generally don't enjoy old-school RPG's with high encounter rates because we can't understand the concept of utilizing game time (as opposed to  playing skill) as our resource in games.  There is a lot of reward (and in my experience, a lot less frustration) in investing time (ie. by levelling up) as the means to defeat a game's enemies as opposed to your own skills as a gamer.  There is something very satisfying about watching your over-powered party lay waste to a difficult boss especially when it was your time spent strengthening them.

I think we do but why spend most of your time grinding with random encounters if you can freely explore worlds and do lots of side quests in Western RPGs. It's really the freedom of choice, character creation and the more realistic gritty visuals that has made Western RPGs so succesful. The Souls games + Bloodborne are all JRPGs and they really dont sell all well in their native country.



Snoorlax said:
burninmylight said:

I'll add another complaint: Battle systems that drain your MP too quickly and force you to conserve your MP-restoring potions in dungeons, so you have to primarily stick to boring basic attacks until you get to a boss.

 

For me, random encounters aren't the problem. I prefer seeing enemies on a field map, but I can live with a game that has a decent encounter rate and escape rate. The real problem I have is grinding. It doesn't matter whether I can choose when to battle or not if I'm forced to choose to repeatedly and mindlessly battle to get past a boss or area that has a sudden jump in enemy levels and stats. That is an issue with a game's pacing and design, not with the way battles are encountered.

I played Tales of Phantasia on my GBA last year (started in 2016), and I could not agree more with your thoughts. I saw it through to the end, but I will never touch that game in its current form again. Random encounter rate out the ass, slowest paced battle system I have ever seen in my life (imagine an action-stopping FFVII summon every single time one of your party members, who is mandatorily in your party for more than half the game, casts a spell, and about 40 percent of the time for another party member), an MP (or TP)-based system like the one I mentioned above, and like many SNES RPGs, a horrible world map traversing system using Mode 7 that makes you waste more time guessing where to land than just walking there yourself (that would be true if not for the random encounter rate). I'm currently playing Tales of Graces f on the PS3, and I'm loving the battle system in it, and wondering if I can ever go back to the TP system in other Tales games now.

I'm glad im not the only one.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Actually their sales have fallen off because they stopped doing a lot of this stuff.  Final Fantasy X is the 2nd best selling FF game, and it was the last to include turn-based random encounters.  They should try getting back to their roots.

I dont think so, most tradtional rpgs and JRPGs in general these days are niche or lesser known games that generally aren't big in the West.

Final Fantasy and Pokemon are big names that sell well no matter what.

The fact that JRPGs have moved away from these elements says shows Western RPGs mainstream success. The Souls games and Bloodborne sell better in the west despite being JRPGs.

LMU Uncle Alfred said:

 

If we're talking JRPG sales in general, they've fallen off mostly because they just aren't getting made as much anymore.  Leaving aside Pokemon (which I feel is never considered a traditional RPG anyways) the FF series sales have been consistently in the 7-9 million range.  Since FF7, and with the exception of FFIX and FFXII, all of them have sold between 7-9 million roughly.  I don't know about XI, but I believe XIV is up there now.

 DQXI from what I have heard is actually one of the highest selling DQ games in the NA region now.

Disagree. Traditional JRPGs dont sell well in the west. Western RPGs have taken over and sell better each generation, i'm not saying they're better but it shows that mainstream gamers are more interested towards Western RPGs. Pokemon and Final Fantasy have always been good sellers in the west especially in the Playstation era but Dragon Quest has never been a big seller in the West not even DQ11 has done good numbers in the west.

forest-spirit said:
Random encounters can be extremely tedious when they're too frequent. I don't have a problem with them per se, though I prefer having the enemies visible as it gives more strategic options, but I enjoy exploring levels and trying to find all treasures and secrets, and nothing kills the excitement of exploration as effectively as constant interuption by battles (especially in combination with slow battle systems and long transitions). Forced battles isn't exclusive to games with random encounters but unless other games have ridiculous spawn rates and enemy density you will at the very least be able to clear a path through or sneak around the enemies.

Tales of Phantasia is a good example of a game where the encounters can ruin the experience. It's not a bad game as far as I'm concerned but it did take me several attempts before finishing because the encounter rate made me lose interest and eventually stop playing.

It's truly a great game even with it's flawed fighting system but the encounters really ruined the game for me.

Illusion said:

Honestly, I really enjoy classic RPG's with very high random encounter rates as long as level grinding my characters enables them to beat bosses later with relative ease. What I can't stand is spending hours level grinding through a dungeon only to get to a boss where there is some kind of special trick or tactic that needs to be discovered that requires your party to die a few times before you can actually beat the boss regardless of your level. The reward for level grinding should be the ability to easily beat bosses, otherwise there is really no point.

 

I think westerners generally don't enjoy old-school RPG's with high encounter rates because we can't understand the concept of utilizing game time (as opposed to  playing skill) as our resource in games.  There is a lot of reward (and in my experience, a lot less frustration) in investing time (ie. by levelling up) as the means to defeat a game's enemies as opposed to your own skills as a gamer.  There is something very satisfying about watching your over-powered party lay waste to a difficult boss especially when it was your time spent strengthening them.

I think we do but why spend most of your time grinding with random encounters if you can freely explore worlds and do lots of side quests in Western RPGs. It's really the freedom of choice, character creation and the more realistic gritty visuals that has made Western RPGs so succesful. The Souls games + Bloodborne are all JRPGs and they really dont sell all well in their native country.

 

In regards to JRPG sales, I meant compared to previous generations. 



Lube Me Up

Mar1217 said:
LMU Uncle Alfred said:

 

If we're talking JRPG sales in general, they've fallen off mostly because they just aren't getting made as much anymore.  Leaving aside Pokemon (which I feel is never considered a traditional RPG anyways) the FF series sales have been consistently in the 7-9 million range.  Since FF7, and with the exception of FFIX and FFXII, all of them have sold between 7-9 million roughly.  I don't know about XI, but I believe XIV is up there now.

 DQXI from what I have heard is actually one of the highest selling DQ games in the NA region now.

2nd best selling if I remember right.

Nope 6th actually and previous games before VIII were stealth released in the west IX has the biggest push yet sold less than IV (3ds), V (3ds), VII, VIII and IX in NA, Europe has actually been a better region for DQ since the games started releasing in the region.



vivster said:
Yep, let's make a unique genre streamlined into something the west likes because fuck diversity. We already had an atrocity called FFXV, we don't need that again.

That said, I wouldn't mind action gameplay for the remake. It's a remake after all, they can do with it whatever they want. The original sucked anyway so it can only go up from here.

You can blame western gamers for growing out of the JRPG tropes and outdated mechanics and i think FF7 is a good game just not as legendary or the best FF game, much less one of the greatest games ever like many others claim.

Fededx said:
Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled. Great story, graphics and all, but the random encounters are way way WAY too often, like two steps- encounter.

Thanks for the warning, i won't touch that game.

0D0 said:
I like pokemon but cave + zubats + dark is just not fun. It's just annoying.

Random encounters are fine for me in a game once a year, but i wouldn't play ten rpgs in a year like this any more. Currently there's no reason to make games with random encounters any more, i find this mechanic outdated.

Agreed

Azzanation said:
I use to like Turn Based RPGs when i was playing Pokemon Blue, Golden Sun and FF7. I feel as i got older that genre seems less appealing to me now. Its just not as fun as i use to remember

same

pokoko said:
Every system has flaws, which can be mitigated by good design or exaggerated by bad design. There is no perfect method that everyone will enjoy.

Personally, everything being an "action RPG" now has pretty much killed what used to be my favorite genre.

You can blame western gamers for growing out of the JRPG tropes and outdated mechanics i think Kotaku did a whole article on why Western RPGs are better than JRPGs and i've got to admit some of their points were true.

0D0 said:
Snoorlax said:

So do i. Like in Tales of Symphonia and Shin Megami Tensei 4 you are free to avoid the enemy on the map or attack them first to get the advantage in battle.

They can be fun but get incredibly annoying after 50 hours.

Perhaps, i felt it became worse in FF8 especially since the game doesn't reward lvling up, let alone grinding. The Diablos ability is a game saver though. 

Litterally the same thing happened to me with Star Ocean backtracking is part of the story and its really makes you give up on it.

Actually the complaints for anime are far worse - everthing is too cutesy, too colorful, not dark enough, little girls doing creepy stuff.... Yeah so i decided to group them all together as too much anime.

I've read about that but even so the GC version still has random encounters like every 2 or 3 seconds while sailing the Sky, i can't imagine how much of a nightmare the Dreamcast version must be.

Let me explain.

- To be fair, most frustrating RPGs known for its insane amount of encounters appeared mostly on Nintendo consoles. Breath of Fire. Lufia. Skies of Arcadia. Tales of Phantasia. Pokemon. Dragon Quest.

- I actually wasn't aware that i had this thread on Nintendo discussion and then forgot to change it to gaming discussion so now it's stuck on Nintendo. If some mod decides it should be moved then it's fine by me.  

Ni no Kuni is almost perfect. You not only can avoid enemies (unless when they're standing on a too narrow path) but you don't need to avoid weaker enemies, they just run from you. So when you need to go back to some area you've beaten, you don't need to care about the useless weaklings.

Yeah i still haven't played it i'll be sure to check it out some time.