Quantcast
Sea of Thieves Tops 5 Million Players.

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves Tops 5 Million Players.

Hopefully it can achieve 10 million players like Forza Horizon 3 :)



Proud to be a Californian.

Around the Network

That's a big number for sure but it's hard to read much into it without knowing concurrent or active player figures. If that number represented sales, that would also be significant. However, given the nature of Gamepass, knowing what kind of player retention rate it has for SoT would be a lot more revealing.



pokoko said:
That's a big number for sure but it's hard to read much into it without knowing concurrent or active player figures. If that number represented sales, that would also be significant. However, given the nature of Gamepass, knowing what kind of player retention rate it has for SoT would be a lot more revealing.

At E3 the average play time was over 22 hours. But that's all we know for play retention. 



if the majority of this number come from GamePass, the service is a smashing success for Microsoft.



It's hard to put it into perspective when we don't know the amount of active players, and of these 5m people that have played it; how many of them just gave it a quck try on Gamepass then moved onto something else? Sure, the average playtime could be over 22 hours, but that could easily be one person with 100 hours vs twenty people with less than an hour or something, whatever the average would work out at, lol.



Around the Network
jason1637 said:
HylianSwordsman said:
Lots of people have Game Pass apparently. Gotta love how they don't say how many copies were sold, heck they don't even say how many players they HAVE, just how many have PLAYED, past tense, a game on Game Pass.

Doesn't matter how many copies sold since the game the game is on gamepass. Buy we do know the the game is selling better than what MS was anticipating.  Also it's common for most games to report on total players not concurrent since that number is always changing. But we do know that 1 million new people played from E3 until today.

I think we can all agree that the reasons why companies don't post actually active or concurrent players is because it sounds worse than total players and not because they're not able to pick a time period or calculating an average.



If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Bristow9091 said:

It's hard to put it into perspective when we don't know the amount of active players, and of these 5m people that have played it; how many of them just gave it a quck try on Gamepass then moved onto something else? Sure, the average playtime could be over 22 hours, but that could easily be one person with 100 hours vs twenty people with less than an hour or something, whatever the average would work out at, lol.

Well you'd need a hundred hour player for every 3-4 one hour players for that math to work out, which would still result in a very strong amount of players who engage(d) with the game on a regular basis. If you got like 1.4ish million people who put a hundred hours into your game, you've done something right.

That said, I personally think the game still needs quite a few more updates to really be worth putting any serious time into.



I LOVE GIGGS said:
if the majority of this number come from GamePass, the service is a smashing success for Microsoft.

Yes seems like the gamepass service is having a huge impact. For example Zambie Army Trilogy just got added recently. Up until then I would be waiting ages to find online players but now they are queuing up in good numbers. Not bad for a game hardly anyone was playing up until it got included on Gamepass. 



Xbox 360 and Xbox One

Gamertag:  GamertagOz70

DonFerrari said:
Good number, but still waiting for the sales and concurrent players.

Probably should have invested your shares into gamepass rather than game sales for this game. MMOs arent about phyiscal numbers, you probably should have known that since 2004 when WoW launched.



3m gamepass... and 2m actual game buys?

Wonder how many active concurrent players they have this last month.... wish MS gave out those numbers instead.



Number of days to reach 50M from 40M : 198 days
Number of days to reach 60M from 50M : 187 days
Number of days to reach 70M from 60M : 175 days
Number of days to reach 80M from 70M : 227 days

Necro-bump this 2020: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=229249