Quantcast
God of War early playthrough thoughts

Forums - Sony Discussion - God of War early playthrough thoughts

A few spoiler free thoughts......

I have played this game for about 25+ hours. Not following the story lightly so I am about a third into the story and have probably done about one of almost all the seried side quests. Also playing on hard (big mistake but I stuck with it)

And all I will say is that that souls or any other game for that matter hasn't got anything on this game.

The game reminds me funny enough of Zelda and Castlevania. And bloodborne/souls combat is a joke compared to this game.

And OMG.... fighting a valkyrie....... damn.



Around the Network

I am late game now. And I really feel like a god of war. Early game I had to be very tactical about each enemy encounter, now I roll in balls deep. Yea I still die some because of that, but as I learn how to use all of those skills I have and maximize the kid I feel stronger and stronger.



psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Vizigoth04 said:
Definitely stoked every time I get to suck a few hours into this master piece. After you get to the tutorial area and are able to boat around is where this game just got all of the sudden bigger. Even area where these two enemies were purple and level 6 and I hold my own for a bit but then die. Can't wait to go back to those guys and give them a piece of my Axe now.

using the boat is not where the game felt bigger for me. Realizing that they you can travel to other realms opened up limitless opportunities in my mind. 



psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

TruckOSaurus said:

Having replayed God of War (PS2) over the last week before the release of this game I've gotta say the adaptation was rough. The mix between the new control scheme, Kratos being relatively weak at the start and enemies being far tougher than in other games made for some early frustrations. My first encounter with Heavy Draugr was a particularly painful one.

Then you level up, gain armor, weapon upgrades, new abilities for Kratos and Atreus and it gets really really fun. It gets even better when you reach the Lake of Nine and things open up in a grandiose way, I've spent a few hours doing side quests before continuing with the main plot and it was all entertaining stuff (especially freeing the dragon)

This is pretty much me.  I started the game on hardest difficulty and I was regretting it a lot.  The Heavy Draugr at the beginning frustrated me alot.  I basically died a lot in the beginning because only a few hits can kill you and I was still learning the controls and how to play.  Coming from the older games and trying to play like those got me killed a lot.  The close camera got me killed a lot.  The combos in the beginning was so basic and I died a lot.  

Once, you get to the point where you can upgrade your stuff and especially Kratos Son, things open up a lot.  Thank goodness I poured most of my exp into him early because he really makes a difference in how you play the game on the harder difficulty.  The story and gameplay has kept me going and pace wise I am enjoying the game much more now.  I am not sure if I will say that this is the best GOD of the series since GOW2 was my favorite but I will say that its right up there.



I hope they patch motion control aiming into this one.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!

Around the Network

I am always wary when Sony exclusives are overhyped. The last of us didn't go so well with me.

I loved the old God of War games. I see this one as taking alot of influence from the Souls series wich i have zero interest in. So, i'm very wary about this one.

It is on discount for 25 euros for 2 used games here, so i might get it if i can be bothered to go to the game shop.



d21lewis said:
Vizigoth04 said:
Definitely stoked every time I get to suck a few hours into this master piece. After you get to the tutorial area and are able to boat around is where this game just got all of the sudden bigger. Even area where these two enemies were purple and level 6 and I hold my own for a bit but then die. Can't wait to go back to those guys and give them a piece of my Axe now.

I can only sneak and play it at night. Played for a few hours on launch day and actually started over completely this morning at like 5am. Sometimes being a good husband sucks.

It's both a blessing and a curse. But if anything it's the ultimate reason right now why I couldn't have time for other consoles. It's just impossible. Maybe that can change soon but I'll stick with the Station for now. The exclusives and 3rd party support is worth it.



i like it a lot. The combat is fun, graphics are awesome.
Story so far is normal, i know there's going to be a plot twist but for now, it feels weird that their motivation is just to dump some ashes.

The only things that i hate are sailing and the camera being so close



Nem said:

I am always wary when Sony exclusives are overhyped. The last of us didn't go so well with me.

I loved the old God of War games. I see this one as taking alot of influence from the Souls series wich i have zero interest in. So, i'm very wary about this one.

It is on discount for 25 euros for 2 used games here, so i might get it if i can be bothered to go to the game shop.

This game plays nothing like the Souls game.  The combat definitely has some similarity but then again a over the shoulder third person combo masher will have some similarity but that's pretty much where it ends.  I can definitely say that since I do not care for hype nor was I very acceptive of the change to this style, its growing on me more and I am finding it fun.  I probably would still prefer GOW 2 but I can also appreciate the work that went into GOW 4 combat and it does work.



Machiavellian said:
Nem said:

I am always wary when Sony exclusives are overhyped. The last of us didn't go so well with me.

I loved the old God of War games. I see this one as taking alot of influence from the Souls series wich i have zero interest in. So, i'm very wary about this one.

It is on discount for 25 euros for 2 used games here, so i might get it if i can be bothered to go to the game shop.

This game plays nothing like the Souls game.  The combat definitely has some similarity but then again a over the shoulder third person combo masher will have some similarity but that's pretty much where it ends.  I can definitely say that since I do not care for hype nor was I very acceptive of the change to this style, its growing on me more and I am finding it fun.  I probably would still prefer GOW 2 but I can also appreciate the work that went into GOW 4 combat and it does work.

I've never wanted to play a Dark Souls/Demon Souls/Bloodborne game but if they are like this, I may just give the Switch version a try.



Twitter: @d21lewis  --I'll add you if you add me!!