Quantcast
Why is the United States so segregated?

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why is the United States so segregated?

I've been thinking about this for the last few days, but I couldn't get to a conclusion to why (most) people from the United States are so racist. Racism seems to be embedded in US's culture. I say that as a Brazilian that has already lived in the US and experiences the country's culture almost daily.


Brazil and the United States have very similar historical backgrounds. Both were inhabited by natives before the Europeans arrived in the first half of the 16th century and have a history of slavery, where in both countries it was abolished in the second half of the 19th century. Today, however, while Brazil is known for its miscegenation of natives, africans, europeans and asians, the United States seems to have mostly maintained the division that existed before the Emancipation Proclamation.

For example: In Brazil, there are no such things as "black neighborhoods". Yes, in some places some ethnicities are more prevalent (that has to do with the lack of support the government gave to the ex-slaves once slavery was abolished and the recency of that event), but no one thinks of these places as "where black people live". There are no words that can only be used by one ethnicity, such as the N word in English. Also, "white culture" and "black culture" aren't really a thing. While rap in the US is mostly viewed as black culture, in Brazil it's simply culture. Some of the most important samba and funk singers are black, but that doesn't mean it's black culture. We see it as Brazilian culture.

I don't know, Brazil just seems much more integrated and patriotic than the United States in that regard (yes, I just said the United States is not very patriotic in a way).

This also has nothing to do with Democrats and Republicans. It has nothing to do with left or right-wing. It affects both sides. You know, all of those BuzzFeed videos such as "White Parents Who Raise Black Children" or "Things Our Black Moms Would Say" only exist because they think of black and white people as being fundamentally and culturally different. In Brazil, a video titled "Things Our Black Moms Would Say" would make no sense, because being black has nothing to do with the way you act.

I'm not calling you racist for being American. You are not guilty for doing things the only way you know to do them. I'm just trying to show you a different vision of the world and hopefully make you reflect about it.

EDIT: In this text, I used the word "racism" meaning "the act of diving people into races". It was the best word I could find to describe it.

EDIT2: I switched the word "racist" in the title for "segregationist" because most people are not reading what I wrote and therefore getting the wrong idea of what I'm trying to say.

Last edited by LuccaCardoso1 - on 15 March 2018

G O O D B O I

Around the Network

One might as well rephrase the question as to why we are specist ?

 

Moderated ~ CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 04 March 2018

I don't know. I just can't help it.



 

I just find funny their definitions of "races", like the bad usage of Caucasian as synonym for white, or being "hispanic". I have a white friend from argentina and she didn't know if she had to fill the caucasian answer or the latino one when she was asked.



pastro243 said:
I just find funny their definitions of "races", like the bad usage of Caucasian as synonym for white, or being "hispanic". I have a white friend from argentina and she didn't know if she had to fill the caucasian answer or the latino one when she was asked.

I still don't exactly understand what "latino" should mean as a "race". Tecnically, latinos are people born in Latin America, but that's so damn broad! There are people born in Latin America from every ethnic group.



G O O D B O I

Around the Network
LuccaCardoso1 said:
pastro243 said:
I just find funny their definitions of "races", like the bad usage of Caucasian as synonym for white, or being "hispanic". I have a white friend from argentina and she didn't know if she had to fill the caucasian answer or the latino one when she was asked.

I still don't exactly understand what "latino" should mean as a "race". Tecnically, latinos are people born in Latin America, but that's so damn broad! There are people born in Latin America from every ethnic group.

I also think it includes people from latin countries such as Italy, Spain, Portugal and France. But I don't know, I always get confused by those terms in USA. 



300 million people and you're able to tell us what most of them are like? That kind of arrogance is impressive.



pokoko said:
300 million people and you're able to tell us what most of them are like? That kind of arrogance is impressive.

That's what I meant with the last paragraph. I'm not calling people racist because they're American. Of course, there are racist Americans out there (see neonazi groups), but what I'm calling racist is the American culture. I'm not blaming people from the US, I'm just asking them to reflect about the subject.



G O O D B O I

US is still alright for the most part, but UK is a whole other beast. Over there, I've been told to get out of the metro twice, once by some old drunk and second by a group of teens because of my ethnicity, granted they were mostly drunks but it still isn't a comfortable feeling when you're told that.



Brazil is still very different from the US.

USA is massive with a lot of different states. racism varies.

USA became a warfaring country. And after WW2 it is almost always against non whites. EX: Korean, Vietnam, Middle East

USA top 1% became the richest, while bottom 1% stayed the same.